The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 8, 2009, 08:32 AM   #1
Creature

AR upper for competition

I am looking for a complete NM upper. I looked at RRA but they chamber for 223 Wylde....I want a true 5.56 NATO chamber. I also want a 1/8 twist, so that leaves out Bushmaster as they only make their NM upper with a 1/9 barrel.

Does anyone know who makes a complete upper under $1K that fits the bill?
Old April 8, 2009, 08:58 AM   #2
PDXGS

Call Bushmaster and ask them if you can purchase the DCM Competition upper. They sold this as a complete upper for years but I dont see it as an upper-only anymore, just a complete rifle.
It has the following:
The M16A2 Dual Aperture Rear Sight is specifically modified to accept interchangeable apertures available in four sizes to suit the competitor's vision and preference... .036"; .040" (Standard); .046" or .052" diameter. Additionally, the sight can be configured for a choice of 1/2" or 1/4" Minute of Adjustment for both Windage Knob and Elevation Drum.

The Competition Front Sight is specially ground on three sides for optimum clarity, and is available in the shooter's choice of two widths (.052",or .062"). It is secured within the front sight base by a set screw to avoid the possibility of any movement once the rifle has been "zeroed".

The 20" Bushmaster Extra Heavy Competition Barrel is a full 1" diameter under the free float tube, and is precision button rifled 1 turn in 8" - right hand twist - 6 lands and grooves. The Barrel material is ChromeMoly Vanadium Steel, and the Firing Chamber is machined to SAAMI specifications. It is lead lapped and hardened to Rockwell C26 to 32. Unlike many other Bushmaster Barrels, this barrel is not Chrome lined.

In the Upper Receiver, the Bolt is carefully matched to the Barrel Extension Lugs for precise lockup, maximum strength and optimum accuracy.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:02 AM   #3
CowTowner

You might also want to look at Model 1 Sales.
The sell OCMP legal uppers and kits as well.

http://model1sales.com/item-detail.c...TOKEN=50207898
“Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life......” President John F. Kennedy
Old April 8, 2009, 03:52 PM   #4
Creature

Does anyone have experience with CMMG rifles/uppers? They have a nice upper with a 20" barrel chambered in true 5.56NATO with a 1/7 twist.
Old April 8, 2009, 05:25 PM   #5
zoomie

Question - if it's for competition, why wouldn't you want the most accurate chamber? 5.56 is good for mil-spec accuracy, but a match chamber would be a better starting point for competition accuracy. Also, why the 1:8? Why not 1:7 for the heavy match bullets? Not trying to change your mind or derail your thread - just curious where you got your credentials.

I would contact White Oak Precision/Armament. I don't know what their prices for complete uppers are (might be out of your range), but I think their uppers would embarrass Bushmaster or Model 1. I've got one of their 6.8 barrels and the workmanship is outstanding.
Old April 8, 2009, 09:08 PM   #6
Gregory Gauvin

Consider building your own upper with a Krieger barrel.
Old April 9, 2009, 01:59 PM   #7
Creature

I definitely wouldn't mind a 1/7 barrel.

The reason I want a barrel with 5.56 chamber is because the ammo issued for Navy matches that I participate in is 77gr Mk262 Mod 1.
Old April 10, 2009, 04:20 PM   #8
Creature

Quote:
Question - if it's for competition, why wouldn't you want the most accurate chamber?
I am not sure I understand the question. If I am shooting 5.56 ammo (Mk262 Mod 1), what would be a more accurate chamber?
Old April 10, 2009, 04:30 PM   #9
zoomie

Well you didn't say you were shooting 5.56 ammo, but still the Wylde is going to be more at least slightly more accurate than a 5.56 chamber. The NATO chamber is made looser to be less picky with ammo or when dirty. The tighter Wylde gains accuracy at the theoretical expense of battlefield reliability.
Old April 10, 2009, 04:47 PM   #10
Creature

Quote:
Well you didn't say you were shooting 5.56 ammo,
See my post #7...I particpate in Navy matches. The rifles must be service grade which require 5.56NATO chambers.
Old April 10, 2009, 06:47 PM   #11
zoomie

Ok. At the time of my post and quoted questions (#5), you had not said you would be shooting 5.56 ammo.

If the rules require it, that's a logical reason. I would still call WOA and ask them to cut a 5.56 chamber for you.
Old April 10, 2009, 08:26 PM   #12
longrifles, Inc

Quote:
I am looking for a complete NM upper. I looked at RRA but they chamber for 223 Wylde....I want a true 5.56 NATO chamber. I also want a 1/8 twist, so that leaves out Bushmaster as they only make their NM upper with a 1/9 barrel.

Does anyone know who makes a complete upper under $1K that fits the bill?
If you want one built exceptionally well give Mark Chanlynn a call.

Mark is the best barrel maker in the world as far as I'm concerned. He's also been building AR's since Christ was a Corporal.

Good luck.

Chad