The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 21, 2006, 10:31 PM   #1
nelso

16 gauge

Still a newbie at this. What's the story with the 16 gauge shotgun. Are they still around. Does anyone use one. Is ammo available? Thanks...just trying to learm more!
Old January 21, 2006, 11:15 PM   #2
rapier144

Their still around my nephew got one for christmas last year. moss 870. You can buy the shells at wallyworld.
Old January 22, 2006, 04:24 AM   #3
mtnboomer

The 16-ga. is making a comeback, of sorts. The ability to have near-12-ga. power from a gun that can be built on a 20-ga. frame (particularly in SxS) is very inviting and several gun makers are doing just that.

Support the Second Amendment. Join the NRA > http://www.nra.org <

Oklahoma State & Big 12 - #1 GO POKES!!!!!
Old January 24, 2006, 05:54 PM   #4
Bobshouse

All you ever wanted to know about 16 gauge..

www.16ga.com

Bob
Old January 27, 2006, 05:43 PM   #5
Jack O'Conner

Back in the early 1970's I remember reading an article in Sports Afield that stated the average hunter owned a 12 gauge pump shotgun, a bolt action 30-06, and a 22 semi-auto rifle. I looked at our gun rack and saw none of these. That's when I realized that my family had ignored years of mass marketing and persuasation-oriented articles.

16 gauge is a great upland gauge. I can think of no better for pheasants. Unfortunately there are many parts of USA where ammo is very hard to find. Yet in other areas, ammo selection is abundant. So it goes. Mail order is the way to go for many hunters who cherish this forgotten gauge.
Jack
Old January 27, 2006, 10:37 PM   #6
BUCKMARK

My Father's new girlfriend ( imagine that)... shoots his Citori 16 gauge field when she shoots clays.

Ammo is everywhere including Wally World as mentioned.

The best price I have found is Bass Pro. $39.00 a flat tax n' all.

That would be for Remington 1 oz field load #7.5 or #8.

Let's Roll!
Old January 28, 2006, 09:59 PM   #7
9mmMike

Our 16 ga. here at casa del 9mm is a '56 Wingmaster that's built on a full frame so it has none of the benefits of small frame and all of the weight of a 12 ga. Not sure why they did this but there ya go.
It's a neat gun and the only 870 we have the rings when the bolt closes.
Ammo is a ton easier to find of late since the "comeback".
It's a pretty cool gun.
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old January 29, 2006, 02:31 AM   #8
Crosshair

As said before, the 16 Gauge is built on a 20 gauge frame. For a SxS, this means that pulling both triggers makes for an interesting ride. However, it is very quick and my friends SxS 16 gauge is the only gun that I could hit clay pidgeons with. (I have no depth perception due to a birth defect.)
Old February 1, 2006, 08:05 AM   #9
patton.t

I love my 16ga Ithica I've had it since I was 10 and it has always done the job for me. If I were a turkey hunter I would want something bigger though.
Old February 1, 2006, 08:49 PM   #10
gak

Ditto on the Ithaca--owned for years. Stoeger just came out with a new 16 as well. Great tweener round for reasons mentioned...and the one I choose (since I decided for whatever reason) - other than a .410 - as an "if you can only have one shotgun" sort of deal - and does nice duty at that. I will not argue that it is not undergunned for the things 12s are "needed" for, but neither is it a pipsqueak round by any means. A near 12 for a lot less punishment. If you don't "absolutely" need a 12 and can or choose to have only one primary shotgun, it's great. It's the .270 (also what I shoot in rifles) of the shotgun world. Can bring down just about anything with the right shot, though it (the .270) is not what one would choose to go big bear or elk hunting if you had another, bigger choice. The .410 is the .223, 28 perhaps the 7.62x39 or maybe 7-30 Waters, 20 ga. is the .243, the 16 the .270, the 12 ga. is the .30-06/7mm Mag/300WM depending on the shell/load, and the 10 ga is the .338. There you go. Yeah I know rifleman (mostly) speaking in a shotgun forum... but I do like the 16 ga