The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 12, 2017, 12:09 AM   #1
reteach

barrel length

Why do gun-makers make handguns, especially revolvers, in such odd barrel lengths? There has to be a good reason for making barrels 1 7/8 inches instead of 2 inches. Or 3 1/16 inches instead of 3, or 4 5/8 instead of 4 1/2. Etc. I tried converting the lengths to millimeters, and they come out in odd fractions there, too. I do understand the recent Ruger revolvers with 4.2 inch barrels - they're making sure they can sell them in Canada. But the others seem just plain weird. So what's the purpose of making those odd lengths?
Old December 12, 2017, 01:11 AM   #2
44 AMP
Staff

Some times its to comply with a law, or a rule, sometimes its for ease of tooling, or simply because its what the maker wants to do.

The only one I know about for sure (documented in various histories) is the S&W change from 8 3/4" to 8 3/8" waaay back when. They were looking at the bullseye market with their long barrel guns, and NRA target rules specified a certain maximum sight radius.

The 8 3/4" gun exceeded that, 8 3/8" was within the rules so they switched to that length, and its been their standard "long" length ever since.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:43 AM   #3
cecILL

Odd barrel lengths? There is nothing odd about barrel lengths. But you need to describe them somehow someway.
Old December 12, 2017, 10:30 AM   #4
fourbore

The 4 5/8 is due to the length of the ejector rod housing on many/most single action revolvers.

it is better, in my opinion to calculate or determine a barrel length for a 'reason' (balance, ballistics, sight radius, carry, manufacturing cost) than just pick a round number in inches. Not to imply all these numbers offer any clear advantage over 1/2 inch either way, but; there often is some reason or rational.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:22 PM   #5
RickB

Standard "1911" barrel lengths, for years, were 5", 4.25", and 3.5" for Government, Commander, and Officers.
Today, most makers have gone to 5", 4", and 3", and other than maybe saving some materials costs, can't see a good reason for the change?

Also, barrels are often not exactly the length specified.
I bought a "four inch" pistol that measured 4.12" in length, which made it .02" too long for competition in a four-inch division.
Old December 12, 2017, 03:18 PM   #6
SIGSHR

The S&W 357 Magnum was originally offered with an 8 3/4" barrel, later reduced to 8 3/8" to comply with NRA Centerfire rules. The 357/Model 27 was also offered with a 5" barrel. A combination of what the manufacturer offers and what the buyers demand.
Old December 12, 2017, 09:07 PM   #7
Bob Wright

Per 44AMP:
Quote:
The only one I know about for sure (documented in various histories) is the S&W change from 8 3/4" to 8 3/8" waaay back when. They were looking at the bullseye market with their long barrel guns, and NRA target rules specified a certain
I've heard that, too, many times, except I heard it was the USRA rules, not the NRA? I belonged to the old United States Revolver Association (USRA) many years ago. It was headquartered in Springfield, Mass. at the time.

Bob Wright
Old December 12, 2017, 09:08 PM   #8
jmr40

With revolvers the minimum barrel length is determined by the ejector rod housing. The maximum length is sometimes determined by rules in place for range games limiting the max length.

In some cases it is law. A 4" barrel is quite common here, but recently Ruger started making them 4.2" to meet the minimum length to be legal in Canada. There is no reason to offer 4" for USA sales and 4.2" for Canada.

Winston Churchill
Old December 13, 2017, 12:55 AM   #9
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I've heard that, too, many times, except I heard it was the USRA rules, not the NRA?
you could be entirely right as to where the rule originated. I don't know, but realize the possibility that "NRA rules" could have been used as the descriptive phrase, incorrectly.

Being as they were "NRA" sanctioned matches, shot NRA standard targets, etc., its quite possible people just assumed they were NRA rules as well.
Old December 13, 2017, 08:19 AM   #10
Aguila Blanca
Staff

The original question remain valid.

It's not just revolvers. Take the venerable 1911, for example. First came the M1911 with a 5-inch barrel. Then Colt came up with the Commander, at 4-1/4 inches. And then came the Officers ACP at 3-1/2 inches. One might think that would pretty well cover the market, but look around at 1911s on the market today. Somebody added 3-inch barrels to the mix, but that's still a round number.

And then somebody (Springfield Armory?) slipped a 4-inch barrel length into the mix. There's at least one 1911 maker who builds their compacts with a 3-1/8-inch barrel. Both of those options baffle me. There are VERY few holsters made for those barrel lengths, so you have to buy a holster for a longer model and hope the empty space doesn't get crushed. I have yet to see a rational explanation for why gunmakers occasionally go rogue on barrel length.
Old December 13, 2017, 11:26 AM   #11
FrankenMauser

I do think that it is sometimes seemingly arbitrary, or based on aesthetics.

But, as mentioned in various ways, it can also be based upon rules, law, or data.
The Ruger SP101 3" in .327 Federal, for example, was initially offered with that barrel length because that was the shortest barrel length that provided muzzle velocities high enough to achieve the 500 ft-lb energy minimum for big game and/or Mtn Lion hunting in certain states, with the initial factory ammunition offering (American Eagle 100 gr SP).

So, by going as short as possible, while retaining 'big game capability', Ruger was essentially releasing three revolvers in the same product: One small enough for concealed carry. One that .32 caliber fans would think made a great 'kit gun'. And one that was legal for big game.
Old December 13, 2017, 01:20 PM   #12
reteach

But, FrakenMauser, that SP101 barrel is not 3", it's 3 1/16". Aguila Blanca sees it - the question is still, "Why that extra 1/16 inch?" Does that fraction add to the ballistic performance? Remember, too, that the SP101 had a 3 1/16" barrel in .357 long before the gun was offered in other calibers. I have one of those, and I do get that the longer barrel, compared to the 2 1/4", makes a better platform for .357. That still doesn't clarify why they added 1/16".
Old December 13, 2017, 01:30 PM   #13
reteach

Just sent an email to Ruger with this question. Maybe they'll settle it for us.
Old December 13, 2017, 10:06 PM   #14
FrankenMauser

Quote:
That still doesn't clarify why they added 1/16".
Production tolerance stacking allowance.

(Educated guess.)
Old December 14, 2017, 05:07 AM   #15
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankenMauser
Quote:
That still doesn't clarify why they added 1/16".
Production tolerance stacking allowance.
Don't get hung up on one brand or one model. The question was general.

Back to my example: In the 1911 world, why do almost all 1911 makers offer a 3-inch model, but one or two offer a 3-1/8-inch model instead? That's not tolerance stacking -- they advertise them as 3-1/8-inch. The extra eighth of an inch of barrel certainly doesn't generate any appreciable increase in muzzle velocity, so why buck the tide and make a pistol that's an orphan as far as size goes, and that nobody makes holsters to fit?

Last edited by Aguila Blanca; December 14, 2017 at 02:49 PM. Reason: fixed typo
Old December 14, 2017, 07:43 AM   #16
Prndll

I'm a bit curious about this myself. The somewhat generalized answers already given in this thread do make sense though.

There are all kinds of "what were they thinking when they made that decision?" type questions that surrounds the world of firearms. I think it's all just part of something that has been part of this world for hundreds of years where certain kinds of thinking just simply are accepted and no longer have answers. Why fold the metal 26 times instead of 25 times (or 27 times) when making a sword?

It's the same with shotgun shells. The only people that understand what a 'dram' actually is are those that make shells and pharmacy technicians. But it's a hold-over from years gone by.

It can make things rather confusing sometimes. I'm sure that the 1/16" has a reason.

Beretta is well known for making certain changes that only the family knows why.

Last edited by Prndll; December 14, 2017 at 08:26 AM. Reason: After thought
Old December 14, 2017, 08:14 AM   #17
arquebus357

Yes, this is a problem. I personally solve it by refusing to buy ANY firearm that lists a length that includes a fraction of an inch.

Problem solved.
Old December 14, 2017, 01:39 PM   #18
T. O'Heir

More about marketing than anything else. In the 19th Century, everybody knew .44's were S&W and .45's were Colts, but it was marketing.
"...sell them in Canada..." Yep. Our idiot government wiped out an entire class of handgun by arbitrarily picking 4" as the minimum barrel length for any handgun(along with no .25 or .32 calibre except for specific target pistols.) not just revolvers. Ruger opted to add the .2" just like they were open to a short run of No. 1 rifles in .303 Brit.
Old December 14, 2017, 02:23 PM   #19
Bob Wright

Arquebus357:

Quote:
Yes, this is a problem. I personally solve it by refusing to buy ANY firearm that lists a length that includes a fraction of an inch.

Problem solved.
Well that sure lets you miss out on some fine revolvers: Colt SAA's and New Frontiers, with barrels running 4 3/4", 5 1/2" and 7 1/2", Ruger Blackhawks running 4 5/8", 5 1/2". 6 1/2", and 7 1/2". And these in such luscious chamberings as .44 Special, .44 Magnum, and .45 Colt. And small bores in .22 R.F. and .357 Magnum.

I am briefly saddened by knowing what you are missing.

O.K. grief over.

Bob Wright
Old December 14, 2017, 02:54 PM   #20
FrankenMauser

Quote:
Don't get hung up on one brand or one model. The question was general.
Your question was general.
The question posed directly to me was very specific to a brand, model, and particular variation - as was the proposed answer.

And, in many subjects, discussion of individual facets of a concept can lead to a greater understanding of the whole. One cannot understand a society without knowing some individuals.

Do the 3-1/8" 1911s have something different about them? Sight location, porting, guide rod, spring type, frame material, etc.?
Old December 14, 2017, 03:32 PM   #21
reteach

Ruger Customer Service replied to my question:

Manufacturing purposely makes them a tad long so that we never fall below minimum barrel length specs.

I don't buy that. It still doesn't address a 1 7/8" barrel on a snubbie. And if they advertise my SP101 to 3 1/16, and it actually measures out at 3 1/32, I might still cry foul and demand a refund. [I wouldn't, but somebody might.]
Old December 14, 2017, 05:49 PM   #22
FrankenMauser

Quote:
And if they advertise my SP101 to 3 1/16, and it actually measures out at 3 1/32, I might still cry foul and demand a refund. [I wouldn't, but somebody might.]
They're listed at 3", not 3-1/16".

The extra 1/16" is BONUS!
Old December 14, 2017, 05:55 PM   #23
zipspyder

I agree with OP. The numerous different lengths is confusing but more of a curiosity to find out why.
Old December 14, 2017, 08:11 PM   #24
reteach

FrankenMauser - They're listed at 3", not 3-1/16".

By golly, you're right. Has it always been listed like that? How else did we all get it in our brains that 3 1/16 was correct. Thanks for pointing that out.
Old December 16, 2017, 01:57 AM   #25
Koda94

I cant see how ~1/4" makes a difference in ballistics but I can see how ~1/4 inch shorter 'might' make a difference in the draw.

I agree with Aguila, recently I wanted a CCO size 1911 but found many in that class weren't true CCO's with 4" (Springfield) and 4.2" (Sig C3) barrels... all I could think about was, why? and how difficult it would be to find a holster for a 4" ish barrel 1911 when any commander size holster would have worked.