The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 11, 2017, 05:52 PM   #1
Onward Allusion

I got rid of my Mother-in-Law

Family gathering at our house yesterday. Christmas wishlists were asked from everyone. I didn't play . . . I told the family to get me what I like . . . "Get me ammo".

M-i-L was like "What's ammo?"

S-i-L says "Ammo as in ammunition"

M-i-L "For what"

S-i-L "For his guns"

M-i-L "He doesn't have any guns"

Me "Naw, I don't have any guns. They scare me."

S-i-L "Yes, --OA-- has guns. He shoots all the time."

M-i-L "What???"

Me "You're daughter (my wife) has a gun. We both have concealed carry licenses. We both carry every day."

M-i-L "Why would you do that?"

Mrs. OA to me "SHUT UP" (my B-i-L is laughing his butt off by this time)

Me "Because cops aren't around all the time".

<silence...subject is changed by niece...>

30 seconds later M-i-L comes up to me to say good bye...

I will never understand that mindset. I shoot and carry and I'm automatically an evil-doer? I don't get it.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:45 PM   #2
mtinner

sounds like a win for you.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:51 PM   #3
ThomasT

My MIL actually borrowed a gun from me to keep at her house. I showed her how to load and shoot it. She turned out to be a decent shot for someone who had never fired a gun in her life. I always wondered in the back of my mind if she might use it on me since I played jokes on her all the time. The only thing was she was probably afraid my wife would move back home.
Old December 11, 2017, 07:18 PM   #4
Smoke & Recoil

She may have left early to beat the holiday rush for ammo...be patient.
Old December 11, 2017, 08:02 PM   #5
GarandTd

My M-I-L organizes family gun bash bar-b-q's during the warmer months. We shoot and then we eat.
Old December 11, 2017, 08:06 PM   #6
Nathan

Winner winner chicken dinner!
Old December 11, 2017, 08:14 PM   #7
Pahoo

Do your best, in your own, best ways

Keep in mind that "they" are always a blessing but not always a joy ...

If you think you spend too much time with them, all you have left, after they are gone, are memories. ....
-------------------------------------------------------------------
I have to admit that I work real hard at keeping this, in mind. ......

L.B.C. and
Be Safe !!!
Old December 11, 2017, 08:22 PM   #8
SauerGrapes

My brother and sister in-law don't get it either. My brother was raised in a hunting\gun family. It never took with him.
Until her death, 18 years later, my mother in-law never knew I owned guns. But she kept a 22 revolver under her pillow.

R.I.P.____Murphy
Old December 11, 2017, 08:52 PM   #9
K_Mac

I have learned the hard way that discussing concealed carry, or guns in general in a group setting is a bad idea. It is a very short list of people outside of my inner circle that know I carry a gun, or anything else about the firearms I own. Family members who might be civil in most situations can be downright mean-spirited in a family gathering. Life is too short to deal with the drama.

My m-i-l almost always gives me something that I don't need or want for Christmas. I'm good with that.
Old December 11, 2017, 09:10 PM   #10
bedbugbilly

My M-in-L oassed a year and a half ago - I really miss her. She never gave me any heartache over guns, shooting or CCW. MY F-in-L was a WWII vet and a hunter and we used to go hunting all the time before and after my wife and I got married. Some of us just got lucky I guess! :-)
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old December 11, 2017, 09:39 PM   #11
Dufus

My MIL was pretty damned headstrong and always wanted to wear the pants and be the decision maker.

My FIL told her to go to hell lots more than once.

After the FIL passed, the MIL wanted to get her CCL and she did.

I coached her before hand and she did OK.

I bought her a Ruger 22LR ($75.00 at Monkey Wards back in 1976) and she had it in the crack of the seat when she traveled. She keot a 38 Spec on the nightstand and a SXS 20 ga in the rack just outside her bedroom.

She is in an assisted living place in Georgetown now. I have her guns.

Her license expired 3 years ago when she quit driving.

She was mean when we were younger, but I always tried to make her comfortable.
Old December 11, 2017, 10:26 PM   #12
JC57

My mother in law was packing well before I married her daughter 30 years ago, and well before it was legal. She was a tough old bird. She had a rougher life than she deserved, and did right by her family as best she could. She passed away 6 years ago, and we still miss her.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:17 AM   #13
DaleA

Quote:
I shoot and carry and I'm automatically an evil-doer? I don't get it.
You probably will never 'get it' just take heart that there is room for you with the rest of us in the basket of deplorables.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:17 AM   #14
Salmoneye

Only issue I have with my inlaws and guns, is that my FIL didn't offer his pre-64 Winchesters to me first when he decided to sell them...
Old December 12, 2017, 11:29 AM   #15
hdwhit

She who would have been my mother-in-law died when she who became my wife was thirteen.

My mother, however, stepped in and admirably fulfilled the role of being the mother-in-law.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:07 PM   #16
Ricklin

Really disliked some of her actions

My MIL drove me to drink at times, I thank god everyday that my mom taught my bride to cook!

That said i sure miss my MIL. She was a very special person. Really hard to understand why she was what she was. Far easier to understand once you knew her history. The lady went through a lot, to put it mildly.

She's been gone for almost ten years now, still miss her a lot.
Old December 12, 2017, 01:30 PM   #17
dgludwig

Quote:
I have learned the hard way that discussing concealed carry, or guns in general in a group setting is a bad idea.
I also think it's a good idea to not tell anyone you're packing. In a self-defense situation, there are two parties that should be surprised if I have to draw my weapon: the bad guy who intends to harm me and the good guy who might be my companion at the time. I can think of no good reason why anyone should be made aware that I am carrying a concealed weapon.

One of the reasons I don't want my friends to know I'm carrying is because there is the possibility that if a companion knows I'm armed, he/she might be tempted to escalate a confrontation, secure in the knowledge that I can "handle" the situation should it get out of hand.
Old December 12, 2017, 01:41 PM   #18
FrankenMauser

In my family, it's actually my mother's side of the family that hates freedom.
If you want to drive a wedge into a family gathering and make things very unpleasant, very quickly, just bring up guns or hunting.

It often starts innocently enough: My cousin, who is an anti-gun vegan and animal rights activist living in Alaska, will ask us how our hunting went this (or last) year. Because, you see, she wrote her doctoral thesis after years studying subsistence hunting by Alaskan Natives, and 'recreational hunting' by the general Alaskan population; and came to respect hunters as much more than the blood-thirsty demons portrayed by liberal media.

She asks an innocent question, and then all hell breaks loose.

Or, the subject is actually broached by one of the staunch antis... "So, you guys still have all of those stupid guns?!"

It's "us" versus "them" ... with poor little vegan trying to fade into the shadows.

I've grown ever so tired of it. I avoid those family gatherings, and keep visits short when I do attend. "Them" don't actually want to talk. They just want to hear themselves talk, and try to pound their opinion down some one else's throat while making themselves feel superior.
Old December 12, 2017, 02:15 PM   #19
BillM

Counting my blessings.

If i were to say "get me ammo for Christmas" the
response from anybody in my family would be "what caliber?"
Old December 12, 2017, 02:30 PM   #20
Ricklin

The only one!

You should be the ONLY one that knows you are packin.

Concealed means concealed, and that does include sound as well as sight.

Your boss might be an exception if you pack at work. That's if your company does not have a policy in place already.
Old December 12, 2017, 03:35 PM   #21
Pahoo

Loose lips, shink ships !!!

Quote:
Probably the best reply I have read, today and I thank you. ....

Be Safe !!!
Old December 12, 2017, 04:09 PM   #22
Lohman446

Quote:

Concealed means concealed, and that does include sound as well as sight.

Your boss might be an exception if you pack at work. That's if your company does not have a policy in place already.
In another thread in a separate sub-forum it discusses how two armed employees engaged a shooter with a "large amount of ammunition" in Florida potentially stopping a mass shooting. The concern in that thread was the "normal" one brought up in such situations involving good Samaritan legally armed individuals creating chaos and confusion and potentially shooting each other.

I know who is likely to be armed around work and even have some idea of how they would respond. I'm not entirely certain that the premise of only you should know is entirely accurate. Around my house its entirely likely that I am actually open carrying.
Old December 12, 2017, 04:18 PM   #23
smee78

I agree with BillM, I got an early Christmas present this year from the in-laws, it was a Kimber revolver.
Old December 12, 2017, 05:41 PM   #24
tony pasley

The first time I met one of my SIL was the weekend I married her sister. They came to the house to change clothes and she used the master bath, when she saw my shoulder holster, she came out and insisted they leave and never saw her again. She explained to her sister that there was a gun in my house and she would not endanger her family. Best wedding gift I got.
Old December 12, 2017, 06:27 PM   #25
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by K_Mac View Post
I have learned the hard way that discussing concealed carry, or guns in general in a group setting is a bad idea. It is a very short list of people outside of my inner circle that know I carry a gun,

Life is too short to deal with the drama.
I'm the out "gun guy" in most of my social circles, and only my wife and a friend know I carry. And neither of those know how much I do (basically, all the time). I don't bring it up, and obfuscate if it does come up.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "