The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 9, 2017, 11:49 PM   #1
Mr.RevolverGuy

HSM ammo

HSM has been assembling ammunition since 1968. Today they produce six brands of ammunition Hunting, Cowboy Action, Bear Load, Varmint, Pro Pistol and Self Defense. Today I will be cold weather testing Bear Load and Pro Pistol loads. I will shoot 6 rounds of this ammunition across the chronograph from two pistols Ruger Blackhawk 10mm and SR1911 10MM. The chronograph will be setup 3 yards down range. To test for accuracy these loads will be fired from a bench pistol rest at 25 yards.

I fired 6 rounds through the SR1911 and Ruger Blackhawk in 27 degree weather to find out how sensitive this ammunition is to cold weather. Part 2 will consist of firing the same loads with the same pistols in weather above 60 degree's. Stay Tuned for Part 2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw4RXEC8SyA
SR1911 Ruger 10MM Unboxing
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=5850

SR1911 10MM Range Visit
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=5855

Ruger Blackhawk 10MM Stainless Unboxing
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=5904

Ruger Blackhawk 10MM Stainless RansomRest
http://www.dayattherange.com/?p=5917

SR1911 Ruger 10MM Chronograph Results 180gr HSM
Group Size = 1.8' at 25yds -- Pistol Rest
Lowest = 1069
Highest = 1093
Average = 1078
Extreme Spread = 24
Standard Deviation = 9

SR1911 10MM Chronograph Results 200gr HSM
Advertised Velocity = 1041 - 481 ft pounds.
Lowest = 1015
Highest = 1053
Average = 1038
Extreme Spread = 40
Standard Deviation =14

Ruger Blackhawk Stainless 10MM Chronograph 180gr HSM
Lowest = 1116
Highest = 1149
Average = 1132
Extreme Spread = 33
Standard Deviation = 12

Ruger Blackhawk Stainless 10MM Chronograph 200gr HSM
Advertised Velocity = 1041 - 481 ft pounds.
Group Size = 1.1' at 25yds -- Pistol Rest
Lowest = 1070
Highest = 1109
Extreme Spread = 39
Standard Deviation = 13

The advertised velocity of the Bear Loads were pretty much the same as the results I achieved today. Which could lead one to believe that the cold had no effect at all on this ammunition, though I still plan to test these loads in warmer weather conditions.
Old December 10, 2017, 09:20 AM   #2
Ricklin

How cold is cold?

I don't think that +27 degrees is going to tell you much with regard to "cold sensitivity"
Try at -27 degrees.

Your cold testing temperature is pretty darn normal.
Old December 16, 2017, 04:29 PM   #3
Brian48

I love HSM. A bit pricey, but it's certainly quality. I used these in my M29 and Henry carbine.

Old December 16, 2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Dufus

Unless it is a typographical error, the group sizes are much less than acceptable for me.
Old December 16, 2017, 07:34 PM   #5
Mal H
Staff

Got to be a typo - used the foot symbol when he meant to use the inch symbol.
Old December 20, 2017, 08:10 PM   #6
jr24

Very nice.

Though, those seem pretty weak for 10mm bear loads don't they. Those chronos look like .45 +P territory
Old December 22, 2017, 05:22 PM   #7
Bamashooter

HSM 200gr 44mag loads are just about all I shoot in my Henry Big Boy and they are very accurate with light recoil and the price is very reasonable in comparison. Quality ammunition in my opinion.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:00 PM   #8
agtman

Quote:
[T]hose seem pretty weak for 10mm bear loads, don't they. Those chronos look like .45 +P territory.
No kidding ... Any 200gn 10mm "bear load" that averages less than 1100fps is not a real-world bear load.

It's Sunday afternoon 'plinking' ammo that's only safe for shooting 'paper' lions and tigers and bears that might appear on the target berm of your local range.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:22 PM   #9
Dufus

Two weeks and the OP hasn't returned for comments.
Old December 22, 2017, 09:28 PM   #10
Koda94

their "bear load" is listed at 1041fps and 481ft lbs. Presumably at the muzzle. This is their only offering in their "bear load" line up.
I know that those numbers are not everything in terms of performance but... they seem a far cry from 10mm capability to call a bear load. Remington UMC does better than that with a FMJ.
Old December 22, 2017, 10:26 PM   #11
Mal H
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus
He's returned (last one was 2 days ago), but he hasn't commented.
Old December 23, 2017, 08:11 AM   #12
agtman

Quote:
their "bear load" is listed at 1041fps and 481ft lbs. Presumably at the muzzle. This is their only offering in their "bear load" line up. I know that those numbers are not everything in terms of performance but... they seem a far cry from 10mm capability to call a bear load. Remington UMC does better than that with a FMJ.
That's right.

A true "heavy & fast," deep-penetrating bear load in 10mm would be something like a hardcast 200gn slug @ 1275fps, or 220gn at 1230fps.

Last edited by agtman; December 24, 2017 at 08:39 AM.
Old December 23, 2017, 12:13 PM   #13
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dufus View Post
it appears his only interest was spamming the forum with a copy and paste plug from his blog to generate traffic away to his website, and had no interest in participating here.

thats too bad actually because his signature says his blog is "unbiased" but without any participation we'll never know. Id like to know more about the bullet if its jacketed, it looks like its hardcast so I'm sure it does pretty good for penetration. Just virtually almost nothing to go by on their website though.

Its not all lost though, Ive learned I will never buy HSM ammo at least for hunting anyways. Their "bear load" has virtually no information on its performance beyond grain and muzzle velocity and they don't list any performance data on their "Pro Pistol hunting" load for the 10mm either. Any company that cant list even some basic information about the performance of load, I will never trust... they are selling me premium priced ammo and production performance levels.

Even the cheap Remington UMC 10mm ammo with a 180g FMJ has ballistic data on their site, at 1150fps and 528ft lbs I bet penetrates deeper than the HSM. One of my favorite reviews on the 10mm is by Paul Harrell who does a simple and very practical review comparing the 10mm to 45acp with both Remington UMC FMJ ammo and Sig Sauer hollowpoint ammo. He simulates shooting a thick skinned heavy boned animal (like a bear) with improvised beef ribs and 2 watermelons ("lungs") and shows you the results. Useful practical information. What I found interesting was that while both the 10mm and 45acp proved devastating they did so with the cheap UMC FMJ ammo as well. I was also surprised by how much penetration the hollowpoints achieved.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBkjdutVmFA
Old December 26, 2017, 10:42 AM   #14
jr24

I like that video, but again even the Sig rounds arent what I'd be bringing into the woods (though I might carry that 10mm load).

I load my XTP and hardcast 200 grain 10mm to nearly those 180 grain speeds.

Be interesting what those would do on his (in)famous meat test.

I really do gotta watch more of his vids, love his presentation
Old December 26, 2017, 05:32 PM   #15
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
I wish I had the luxury of doing this for a living but I don't. I get nothing at all not one cent for doing the video's or testing, meaning I care nothing about spamming the board. It's purely for the love of what we do and after dedicating my entire young life to the great country we call the US it is my way to keep up the fight. My Blog has no ads at all even though I have been asked many times by sponsors. I was watching this thread to be able to respond to questions as I do with everything like this I post, but for some reason I am not getting the emails from the board. If I truly wanted to spam or drive traffic to my blog I would only post on my threads but I am all over this forum which is why I probably missed the questions. I appreciate what TFL offers us here and try to learn as much as I can from others which means often not checking my threads, one of the reasons I depend on the email. But for some reason as of late I have not been getting them. Not to mention battling pneumonia during the holidays is not fun.

Quote:
Unless it is a typographical error, the group sizes are much less than acceptable for me.
Now let's see what questions do I need to or can answer. yes it should be 1" inches not feet purely a typo, sorry about that.

Last edited by Mr.RevolverGuy; December 26, 2017 at 05:40 PM.
Old December 26, 2017, 05:48 PM   #16
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy
I wish I had the luxury of doing this for a living but I don't. I get nothing at all not one cent for doing the video's or testing, meaning I care nothing about spamming the board. It's purely for the love of what we do and after dedicating my entire young life to the great country we call the US it is my way to keep up the fight. My Blog has no ads at all even though I have been asked many times by sponsors. I was watching this thread to be able to respond to questions as I do with everything like this I post, but for some reason I am not getting the emails from the board. If I truly wanted to spam or drive traffic to my blog I would only post on my threads but I am all over this forum which is why I probably missed the questions. I appreciate what TFL offers us here and try to learn as much as I can from others which means often not checking my threads, one of the reasons I depend on the email But for some reason as of late I have not been getting them. Not to mention battling pneumonia during the holidays is not fun.
My apologies for coming across wrong and assuming things, I've learned here not to jump to conclusions.
I for one actually favor a blog website like yours for the unbiased reviews and I'll have to check out more of it now that I'm aware of it. I'm a fan of the 10mm and so a thread about a manufacturer I haven't heard of piqued my interest. They have virtually almost nothing on their website for ballistics info for the 2 loads you reviewed. It would be cool, if I may suggest, if you can share any ballistic info such as velocity further out than at the muzzle or perhaps a penetration test in ballistic gelatin or other simulated material. It would be cool to see how their hunting load really performs.
Old December 26, 2017, 06:15 PM   #17
Mr.RevolverGuy

No worries Koda94 wasn't really a big deal to me, just wanted to let the forum know sometimes life get in the way. Though I did find something interesting, I got the email for your last reply but none of the others.

As it pertains to my blog I sort of envision it as the peoples blog with truly unbiased content. With this view my blog has always been open for others to post as well -- all someone need to do is ask. I think it would be great to see other authors posting for others to learn from. One thing is for sure the blog will never be outed for not allowing content which showed a negative light on a product like the fallout that just recently happened with one of the largest blogs out there.

I have a ton of 300 blackout data and have received a lot of positive feedback from others about it and I have twice as much 10MM Auto just haven't had the time to get it posted and hope to soon.

Koda I just can't afford ballistics gelatin, any other creative thoughts on other medium? I have been wanting to do this but honestly my creative juices haven't figured out anything as of yet that wouldn't get me run out of town by posters.
Old December 26, 2017, 06:17 PM   #18
agtman

Quote:
* * * I'm a fan of the 10mm and so a thread about a manufacturer I haven't heard of piqued my interest. They have virtually almost nothing on their website for ballistics info for the 2 loads you reviewed. * * *
Agree, ... but Mr.RevolverGuy's 10mm YouTube reviews might actually have more credibility if he chose real 10mm ammo to test, and not the watered-down .40-level crapola that masquerades as a "10mm bear load."
Old December 26, 2017, 06:23 PM   #19
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by agtman View Post
Agree, ... but Mr.RevolverGuy's 10mm YouTube reviews might actually have more credibility if he chose real 10mm ammo to test, and not the watered-down .40-level crapola that masquerades as a "10mm bear load."
this is where the unbiased review comes in. I doubt the manufacturer will tell you if it performs anything less than stellar.... but despite it being watered down in power, the bear load is using a RNFP "hard" bullet which is what you want more than full power. Thing is, does their "hard" bullet really penetrate or does it fall apart. An unbiased review will tell.
Old December 26, 2017, 06:38 PM   #20
Koda94

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RevolverGuy View Post
No worries Koda94 wasn't really a big deal to me, just wanted to let the forum know sometimes life get in the way. Though I did find something interesting, I got the email for your last reply but none of the others.

As it pertains to my blog I sort of envision it as the peoples blog with truly unbiased content. With this view my blog has always been open for others to post as well -- all someone need to do is ask. I think it would be great to see other authors posting for others to learn from. One thing is for sure the blog will never be outed for not allowing content which showed a negative light on a product like the fallout that just recently happened with one of the largest blogs out there.

I have a ton of 300 blackout data and have received a lot of positive feedback from others about it and I have twice as much 10MM Auto just haven't had the time to get it posted and hope to soon.

Koda I just can't afford ballistics gelatin, any other creative thoughts on other medium? I have been wanting to do this but honestly my creative juices haven't figured out anything as of yet that wouldn't get me run out of town by posters.
the only thing I can think of is to waste a perfectly good pork roast behind a thick sample of leather. Phone books could possibly be used, I imagine there are other medium that can be used to give some idea of its penetration ability especially at given distances. sheets of plywood samples stacked up in a row... can rate penetration based on samples penetrated, will give some way to compare loads to each other.

Id like to see a penetration review of Federals P10T1 ammo. Its a 10mm using a "Vital•Shok® Trophy Bonded® JSP".... I'm interested in this because its the only commercial 10mm load using a jacketed soft point for hunting which offers a combination between penetration and expansion... im wondering how well the soft lead holds up inside the jacket and how well it really mushrooms.

http://www.federalpremium.com/ammuni...nded-jsp/p10t1
Old December 26, 2017, 06:40 PM   #21
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
Honestly I hope I gain a little or the most credibility for just being honest
Old December 26, 2017, 07:10 PM   #22
agtman

Quote:
* * * but despite it being watered down in power, the bear load is using a RNFP "hard" bullet which is what you want more than full power. Thing is, does their "hard" bullet really penetrate or does it fall apart. An unbiased review will tell.
Okay, great.

When the RevolverDude gets around to testing a real hard cast 10mm "bear load" from DT or Underwood, i.e., 200gn or 220gn @ 1200+fps, please post the YouTuber linky.
Old December 26, 2017, 09:05 PM   #23
Mr.RevolverGuy

Quote:
Okay, great.

When the RevolverDude gets around to testing a real hard cast 10mm "bear load" from DT or Underwood, i.e., 200gn or 220gn @ 1200+fps, please post the YouTuber linky.
You have any of this ammo you would like to share for testing? I would love to do some testing.

agtman you must be looking for nuclear loads Not defending HSM, just reporting on it the Bear Load isn't nuclear but it isn't 40S&W either, at the average velocity it delivers 625ft/lbs full loads start about 600ft/lbs.
Old December 26, 2017, 09:11 PM   #24
Mr.RevolverGuy

I do have a 200gr load I have tested

1 Shot = 1267
2 Shot = 1285 Hi
3 Shot = 1250 Low
4 Shot = 1262
5 Shot = 1280

Average = 1268
Footpounds = 714 classified as nuclear
Old December 26, 2017, 09:14 PM   #25
Mr.RevolverGuy