The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Closed Thread

Old December 11, 2017, 03:36 PM   #51
Jim Watson

In most cases, the polished feed ramp is to reassure the customer that his gun was worked on. A properly contoured dull finished feed ramp will deliver the cartridges to the chamber just as well. But it won't look "custom." Then there is the problem of the shiny feed ramp not of proper contour.
Old December 11, 2017, 03:43 PM   #52
HiBC

Frank made the point.You heard it.
No need for me to say it again.
So I'll just say "Cool".
We can start over. Welcome.
Old December 11, 2017, 03:59 PM   #53
GorillaGunworks

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...r-reliability/

Paragraph 9 ^^^

http://eaglegunrange.com/gun-store/gunsmithing/

Under General Barrel services

https://www.fusionfirearms.com/throa...d-hone-chamber

and i can go on, he point i am trying to make is that this is a basic and simple gunsmith practice, i know some of you are concerned with the whole chamber issue but what i want to explain is that you are not going to remove so much material from the chamber to cause the issue of ruptured casings or catastrophic issues. unless your sitting there for a long time with some abrasives inside the chamber and exaggerate the job by doing to much but polishing a little will not harm your chamber.
Old December 11, 2017, 04:00 PM   #54
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
In most cases, the polished feed ramp is to reassure the customer that his gun was worked on. A properly contoured dull finished feed ramp will deliver the cartridges to the chamber just as well. But it won't look "custom." Then there is the problem of the shiny feed ramp not of proper contour.
Correct.

Last edited by GorillaGunworks; December 11, 2017 at 04:01 PM. Reason: Missing Quote
Old December 11, 2017, 04:02 PM   #55
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiBC View Post
Frank made the point.You heard it.
No need for me to say it again.
So I'll just say "Cool".
We can start over. Welcome.
lol Cool thanks for the welcome bud, no hard feelings, i just tend to get into these things, we are all just trying to make our point.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:30 AM   #56
Bill DeShivs

What you do in your video is NOT "polishing a little."
It's ham-handed, wide open grinding. Don't think "polishing" compound won't remove metal. All that black stuff on the felt bob IS metal.
There is absolutely no need to do what you are doing. The chamber will be out of spec, and the chamber mouth will be rounded.

Will the gun blow up? Maybe-if you round the chamber mouth too much.
Sorry- this is bubba gunsmithing.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:19 AM   #57
GorillaGunworks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
What you do in your video is NOT "polishing a little."
It's ham-handed, wide open grinding. Don't think "polishing" compound won't remove metal. All that black stuff on the felt bob IS metal.
There is absolutely no need to do what you are doing. The chamber will be out of spec, and the chamber mouth will be rounded.

Will the gun blow up? Maybe-if you round the chamber mouth too much.
Sorry- this is bubba gunsmithing.
Bill please read the previous posts, everyone already settled down, I know that when you polish metal you remove some hence the reason for the shiny surface but the amount removed in this case is so little it will not affect the chamber in anyway the chamber is not getting rounded over as you say. It's not like your going to be polishing the chamber with abrasive for extended periods of time that is ridiculous. And please before you insult someone else's work worry about your own. I studied gunsmithing and I know what I can and cannot do. You studied your knife making I'm sure so I won't insult you in your department. Because last time I checked I have not insulted anyone in here, and everyone has made their point or better yet given there opinion without insulting. So before you go and insult someone who has studied their craft for years worry about your own mediocre website and butterknife collection.
Old December 12, 2017, 10:11 AM   #58
Unclenick
Staff

The way to resolve the disagreement is to grab another barrel and do before and after chamber casts and measure them and see what you get. Measurements trump opinions about what does or does not appear to be happening. Such measurements would also make a dandy summary addition to a video. It would allay concerns, assuming you are correct that a significant amount of material is not being removed. But if Mr. DeShivs is correct, you'll want to learn that, too, and revise your practice, accordingly.

The late father of a friend of mine used to say: "There is no point in arguing about facts. They are either so or they aren't. You measure them or look them up, as the nature of the fact requires." This accords with the late Senator Daniel Patrick Moynahan's statement: "Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not his own facts." Also, with Mark Twain's observation: “The trouble with the world is not that people know too little; it's that they know so many things that just aren't so. ”

Measure.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 12, 2017, 10:13 AM   #59
Hunter Customs

I'm not here to bust your chops but I do have some questions. How much run out does your Foredom tool have? Being a gunsmith I'm sure you realize the importance of keeping the chamber as true as possible with the bore of the gun. Unless you're extremely lucky I don't believe that can be done with a hand held tool. I also watched your trigger tuning video and can not believe what I watched. Again with your knowledge you surely realize the importance of truing and squaring hammer hooks on a 1911 style gun. Also the importance of mating both sear angles to the hammer hooks once they are true and square. Once again the procedure you used in your video you would have to be extremely lucky for that to happen. As a matter of fact if you're that lucky you would be better suited playing the lottery. I would suggest if you want to make videos of your work at least please use the correct procedure for doing the work, after all I feel that's what a professional would do.
Old December 12, 2017, 11:02 AM   #60
HiBC

Gorilla,for a little bit,I thought maybe something sunk in. Your latest posts disappoint me.
I'll say again,this IS a good place to learn. But first you might have to get humble enough to learn.
There is a progression of learning.
1)Unconscious incompetence. That's where you are screwing up and don't know it
2) Conscious incompetence. That's where you are screwing up but you realize it. Very important step. Ego and illusion hold you back. Disillusionment is uncomfortable. It is the birth pang of Truth.From here,you can learn,or be taught ,Competence
3) Conscious Competence.That is where you focus and practice new things,but you still look at the "H" on the gearshift knob.
4) Unconscious competence That is when the new competence become natural.Like shifting and clutching.

Your resistance is holding you in step 1.

Your first posts were about "Hey guys,I'm gonna teach you" I gave you the courtesy of watching.

Your stuff is not good. Your trigger advice will cause some hobbyist to make his gun unsafe. Your ramp/chamber advice may well be destructive.
You are just flat wrong about the chamber. As Unclenick and I both said,unless you measure,your "It does not cut" is based on illusion.

Cutting through to you has been a lot of work. Now you are getting disrespectful when you ought to hve your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut.
I'm rapidly losing respect.

Did you ever watch "The Magnificent Seven?

You don't realize you are standing in front of Yul Brynner playing "ClapHands"

FWIW, When Unclenick,Frank Ettin,or Hunter Customs or Bill Deshivs share their knowledge and expertise,I humbly sit up,take notice,and keep my eyes and ears open and my mouth shut.There are other people here,not mentioned,I give the same consideration to.

So far,what you have shared is not anything I would want done to my guns or anyone elses.

IF you actually want to learn,make your way to step 2. "Conscious Incompetence" and we can get some work done.

And you might apologize for some of the snotty disrespectful remarks you have made.

You just might use the search button,enter some of these names and read postes for a couple of hours and figure out who you are making a fool of yourself in front of.

Then don't run away. Just grow up a bit and begin the learning you say you are here for.

And please don't turn my effort into a waste of time.

Last edited by HiBC; December 12, 2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old December 12, 2017, 12:18 PM   #61
Old Stony

Gorilla...well, I guess you have received a good lesson on "snotty stuff". I think at this point several others have "ganged up" on you, and at this point you will never make your points. At least one of the gang bangers has little or no experience in the gunsmithing department and will probably come back with some more snide comments ( and probably close the thread) if he holds true to his previous behaviors.
I think some apologies are probably in order here, but probably won't be forthcoming. Mr. Dunlap could turn out the same video you did, and probably get the same treatment, so don't let it all bother you.
I actually think a guy could post a video of how to wipe down a firearm with a Rig Rag....and get negative comments from some of the guys on here.
Carry on...
Old December 12, 2017, 12:30 PM   #62
4V50 Gary
Staff

I think this thread has run its course. Thank you everyone.