The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 3, 2017, 10:09 PM   #1
Green Lantern

32 cal swap ?

Can I run 32 auto rounds through a 32 h&r magnum gun??
Old December 3, 2017, 10:31 PM   #2
Dan-O

Technically yes. Although my .327 LCR only ignites .32 acp about 60% of the time.
Old December 3, 2017, 10:32 PM   #3
Cheapshooter

https://thefiringline.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=368504
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 3, 2017, 10:57 PM   #4
Green Lantern

Thanks for the link.

Answer is "reliably no". Rim is smaller on the ACP. That's what I understood.

The gun is question is a revolver. If anyone asks.
Old December 3, 2017, 11:02 PM   #5
TruthTellers

It's safe to fire in a .32 H&R Magnum chambered firearm, but depending on the gun, the firing pin may not be able to reach far enough and hit the primer hard enough.

Ejection may be a problem with DA revolvers as the ejector may slip past the tiny rim of the .32 ACP. In the event this happens, poke them out with a wooden dowel or something.

If you're asking about this because you don't want to "pay high prices for .32 Magnum ammo" the .32 S&W Long wadcutter ammo made by Fiocchi, S&B, and other non-American manufacturers can be found for the same price online as the .32 ACP can. .32 Long is accurate and more powerful than .32 ACP.
Old December 3, 2017, 11:48 PM   #6
Bill DeShivs

.32 S&W long is not more powerful than .32 acp.
Wrong again!
Old December 3, 2017, 11:52 PM   #7
Green Lantern

Yes, the 32 mag is $1 per shot.
Old December 4, 2017, 12:07 AM   #8
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill DeShivs View Post
Wrong again!
100 grain bullet going 750 fps is more powerful than a 60 grain bullet going 900-1000 in my book.

Actually, 900 fps with a 100 grain bullet if you buy the right ammo:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=345

Last edited by TruthTellers; December 4, 2017 at 12:17 AM.
Old December 4, 2017, 12:12 AM   #9
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Lantern View Post
Yes, the 32 mag is $1 per shot.
Yes, it is and it's like that for all .32 Mag ammo.

What revolver is this? S&W? Ruger? H&R? If this is an H&R made .32 H&R Mag revolver, I might actually say don't shoot .32 ACP in it. Those were not well made guns, I don't know if they're capable of shooting sustained amounts of the higher pressure .32 ACP.

If this is a Smith or a Ruger, you're all clear.

If you're mostly looking for cheap range ammo, .32 ACP might work in your gun, you have to try it. If you have issues, buy the .32 S&W Long. Here's a link to the cheapest ammo I could find:

https://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...l-ammo?g=29198
Old December 4, 2017, 01:18 AM   #10
Cosmodragoon

I'd also go for .32 S&W Long. I got a good deal and stocked up on 98-grain SJHP from Magtech a few years ago. No, they are not as powerful as .32acp. No, I wouldn't expect dramatic expansion. They just work and they work well for my limited needs.

The original question has largely been answered but if you want my two cents, I'd only ever intentionally feel .32 acp to my .32-caliber revolvers if I was totally out of other ammo and was in some kind of rare crisis that left me no other options.
Old December 4, 2017, 08:33 AM   #11
JERRYS.

using standard math I don't find the .32 Long (98gr. @ 750 fps) more powerful than the .32acp (71gr. @ 900fps).
Old December 4, 2017, 08:35 AM   #12
JERRYS.

Cosmodragoon says it al right there in post #10.
Old December 4, 2017, 09:07 AM   #13
Real Gun

Quote:
Can I run 32 auto rounds through a 32 h&r magnum gun??
I would first look to see what the gun's manufacturer says about the model's capabilities. I would then want to know if the gun's springs have been changed, creating a lighter primer strike.
Old December 4, 2017, 12:56 PM   #14
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERRYS. View Post
using standard math I don't find the .32 Long (98gr. @ 750 fps) more powerful than the .32acp (71gr. @ 900fps).
Using standard math the difference in energy is less than 5 ft/lbs... that's so minute they're essentially the same power, but given the .32 S&W bullets are heavier, they will penetrate deeper and because of that, I consider them more powerful. The one Buffalo Bore load I linked to is pretty much the only .32 Long ammo that is statistically more powerful than .32 ACP. Yeah, it's not as cheap, but no Buffalo Bore ammo is. Point is the .32 S&W Long has the potential to have more power than the .32 ACP if it is loaded correctly.

When it comes to the .32, because they're so weak, the name of the game is penetration.

However, if the OP is looking for the best defense ammo in .32 Mag, the Buffalo Bore .32 Magnum load that hits 300+ ft/lbs is it. I would say that compared to what Hornady and Federal offer in .32 Mag, it's the superior choice.
Old December 4, 2017, 01:25 PM   #15
HighValleyRanch

Quote:
When it comes to the .32, because they're so weak, the name of the game is penetration.
If penetration is the desired effect, the underwood captivator seems a good choice given the results of this youtube gel test:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lf-IF1emoJI

Underwood offers this in .32 acp, but not .32 long.
Considering carrying this in my seecamp, but found that occassional rounds have too hard a primer and requre a couple of trigger pulls to ignite. They feed and function fine otherwise. I like results I saw on the video.
Old December 4, 2017, 01:32 PM   #16
Pathfinder45

The cost of factory ammo for all of you 32 caliber shooters is irrelevant because you all either reload your ammo, or, you have deeper pockets than I do. If you do not reload your ammo, you would be far better served with a 38 Special or 357 Magnum for sheer availability of ammo, even if cost doesn't matter to you. If you do reload stock up on components. And use the right ammo, for goodness sake.
Old December 4, 2017, 02:02 PM   #17
JERRYS.

Quote:
Using standard math the difference in energy is less than 5 ft/lbs... that's so minute they're essentially the same power, but given the .32 S&W bullets are heavier, they will penetrate deeper and because of that, I consider them more powerful. The one Buffalo Bore load I linked to is pretty much the only .32 Long ammo that is statistically more powerful than .32 ACP. Yeah, it's not as cheap, but no Buffalo Bore ammo is. Point is the .32 S&W Long has the potential to have more power than the .32 ACP if it is loaded correctly.

However, if the OP is looking for the best defense ammo in .32 Mag, the Buffalo Bore .32 Magnum load that hits 300+ ft/lbs is it. I would say that compared to what Hornady and Federal offer in .32 Mag, it's the superior choice.
try to compare apples to apples. look at BB 75gr. .32acp loading if you're going to use them as your argument for the .32 S&W Long.
Old December 4, 2017, 02:18 PM   #18
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post
100 grain bullet going 750 fps is more powerful than a 60 grain bullet going 900-1000 in my book.

Actually, 900 fps with a 100 grain bullet if you buy the right ammo:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=345
And the 32 Auto is more powerful if you buy the right ammo:

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.ph...t_detail&p=132

According to SAAMI nominal specs, they are roughly the same.

32 S&W Long; 98 grain at 775 fps = 131 fl lbs ME

32 Auto; 71 grain at 900 fps = 128 ft lbs ME
Old December 4, 2017, 02:20 PM   #19
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post
If penetration is the desired effect, the underwood captivator seems a good choice given the results of this youtube gel test:

Considering carrying this in my seecamp, but found that occassional rounds have too hard a primer and requre a couple of trigger pulls to ignite. They feed and function fine otherwise. I like results I saw on the video.
That's cavitator, not captivator.
Old December 4, 2017, 02:23 PM   #20
74A95

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

Power and Penetration are two different things.

Every time you make up crap comparisons you're going to get flak over it.
Old December 4, 2017, 02:45 PM   #21
JERRYS.

Quote:
Power and Penetration are two different things.

Every time you make up crap comparisons you're going to get flak over it.

one ought to consider changing screen names?
Old December 4, 2017, 02:50 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

No. The .32 ACP headspaces on the case mouth. You'd have .395" of excessive headspace. The ACP's semi-rim is .358" diameter vs the .375" of the H&R. The ACP's diameter at the case head is .338" vs the .337" of the H&R.
Old December 4, 2017, 03:22 PM   #23
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighValleyRanch View Post

That's expensive ammo, as is the BB .32 Long, but unlike the .32 ACP, the .32 Long BB ammo can be shot in a .32 S&W Long revolver, while the .32 ACP would be potentially dangerous.

So, you're getting an ammo that's virtually the same power or more and is safe to shoot all day long.

The argument is irrelevant as this thread is about .32 H&R Magnum and any .32 H&R Magnum is more powerful than either .32 ACP or S&W. Average .32 S&W Long LRN vs average .32 ACP FMJ is virtually identical, with the nod to .32 Long because the bullet is heavier and penetrates better.

Now, instead of hijacking the thread to point out that you think I'm wrong with my statements, lets keep building on the OP's topic at hand.

OP, what revolver is this? This will help us determine whether or not .32 ACP is a good and safe ammo to shoot in your gun.
Old December 4, 2017, 04:24 PM   #24
2damnold4this

If you want to shoot .32 magnum on the cheap, you could reload some full or semi wadcutters.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:33 PM   #25
ThomasT

Quote:
Never thought we would get in an aurgument over the 32acp vs the 32 long. I reload for both and from a 2" barrel with longs shooting a 94gr bullet I get just over 850fps. Does it beat the 32acp? Heck if I know. I didn't buy my 32s because they were power houses.

The biggest problem with shooting 32acp from a revolver is the undersized bullet isn't accurate. The 32 long should be between .3125 to .314. The 32acp is loaded with .311 bullets.

For some strange reason most guns shoot best with the ammo they were designed to shoot.

Use the search function and you will find there are bunches of threads about doing this.