The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 1, 2017, 10:29 PM   #26
Bill DeShivs

I wouldn't worry about my gun penetrating a few layers of cloth.
Anyone who does, doesn't know much about guns.
BTW- traditionally, crime goes up when it gets hot, and down when it gets cold.
Old December 2, 2017, 08:44 AM   #27
9ballbilly

Although I live in the Sunshine state now, I was born and raised in upstate NY's cold, snowy winters. Aside from hunting season I didn't change my carry gun. I did change my carry method. Belt carry when it was warm switching to a shoulder holster when the temperature dropped. Wearing layers of long johns, sweatshirts, and coat I felt it was easier to access the firearm from a shoulder rig.
YMMV
Old December 2, 2017, 11:50 AM   #28
tony pasley

I carry a 1911a1 year round my method of carry does change when it get very cold I use a shoulder holster when it is not OWB.
Old December 3, 2017, 12:33 AM   #29
Viper225

I have Snake Season, and the rest of the year.
When snakes come out, we have Copperheads, CottonMouths, and Timber Rattlers where I live. I carry revolvers most of the time with a couple shot shells up front unless I am going to town. My revolvers normally carried would be a 2" Model 64, a 3" Model 66, and the Snake Destroyer my 480 Ruger Alaskan.
It is December, and I am carrying my Glock 23 Gen 4 most of the time. I will carry my 1911 Colt once in a while just because I like it.

Bob
Old December 3, 2017, 12:34 AM   #30
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
I'm having the age-old argument with myself about power vs. capacity. Do I want to carry something bigger that holds more (15-17) rounds of 9mm, maybe in +P, or do I want to get not only a larger/full grip doublestack pistol, but one that fires a completely different, more powerful round (.40, .45, 10mm).
I think this is a fun argument to have. Bill DeShivs is right that heavy clothing won't do much to impede penetration. (Neither will most of the things people hide behind in movies and TV.) However, heavy clothing can interfere with the expansion of hollowpoints. You can always increase mass or speed within your personal recoil tolerances. Some people actually advocate switching to solids for winter carry. FMJ is certainly cheaper but there are premium defensive solids on the market now. Just search YouTube for gel tests of Lehigh "Xtreme Penetrators" in your favorite caliber. In 10mm or .357 Sig, those could easily serve double-duty as an outdoors load.
Old December 3, 2017, 08:44 PM   #31
rodfac

Ah yes, it's long jacket weather here in KY...and I'm back toting my Sig .45 1911 RCS...alternating with a new acquisition; a Browning Hi Power Practical in .40 S&W. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 4, 2017, 08:59 AM   #32
FairWarning

Yes, for the simple fact that I wear coats/heavier clothing during winter, which means it's easier to carry a larger gun with a longer barrel. Sometimes a 1911 or 92FS in a shoulder holster with 2 extra mag holders in winter (that's 55 rounds of mayhem in the Beretta! ).

But most of the year, it's what is now called a "mid-sized" 9mm with a 4" barrel IWB or OWB.

Ammo for each gun is always the same.
Old December 4, 2017, 10:45 AM   #33
Cheapshooter

Yes.
Not as much because of the clothing a possible attacker might be wearing, but because of the clothing I will be wearing. I prefer having the most firepower that I can reasonably conceal. In the hottest summer weather that may be just an LCP.
But with more coverage from heavier clothing I can easily move up to a Kahr CM9, or Springfield XD40 Sub Compact.
In the coldest weather, requiring a heavy Winter coat that could hinder access to my IWB holstered gun, I also coat pocket carry a Ruger LCR 38 Spcl. loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr. +P ammo.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old December 4, 2017, 08:19 PM   #34
jr24

Yes, but not because of clothing. I tend to go with a lighter gun in the hottest months as the weight of my 1911s only bothers me in the high heat.

Else I tend to stick with a full/duty size carry the rest of the year.
Old December 4, 2017, 08:39 PM   #35
jmr40

Yea, more clothing makes it easier to carry bigger guns. But bigger calibers don't penetrate heavy clothing any better. A 9mm will penetrate heavy clothing at least as well as a 40 or 45. It's about the bullet, not the caliber.

Winston Churchill
Old December 4, 2017, 09:09 PM   #36
Terminatorret

During temperatures requiring a heavy coat, I can conceal/carry my .357 Ruger Blackhawk or my Service Six. I'm very comfortable with either.
During warm seasons, it's Wranglers pocket carry .38/.380, or maybe shoulder holster carry .380/9mm mak over a tee shirt but under a Hawaiian shirt.
If all else fails, it's an NAA .22LR mini or NAA .22mini-mag.
I always want to carry something, regardless of what I'm wearing.
Old December 5, 2017, 03:12 AM   #37
Kilibreaux

My carry piece is the FNH FiveseveN all year long, every year. With 21 rounds of "personal loads" making around 2,000 fps/40 grain FMJ, I'm satisfied.
Old December 6, 2017, 02:53 PM   #38
bassJAM1

I don’t change my carry guns or loads depending on the seasons. Most of the time I’ll just have a S&W 442 on me, year round, and occasionally a P938.

The only exception is there are times in the summer when I can only carry an LCP, but those times are pretty rare. I think I got my LCP out twice this past summer to carry.
Old December 6, 2017, 04:26 PM   #39
JN01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Yes.
Not as much because of the clothing a possible attacker might be wearing, but because of the clothing I will be wearing.
In the coldest weather, requiring a heavy Winter coat that could hinder access to my IWB holstered gun, I also coat pocket carry a Ruger LCR 38 Spcl. loaded with Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 gr. +P ammo.
This is where I'm at. Yes you can conceal a larger weapon under a heavy coat, but if you go indoors and take it off, it may also print more easily. If I'm wearing my usual flannel shirt under a zipped up heavy coat when it is really cold, it is impossible to draw a belt holstered pistol with any speed. The hand warmer pockets on most coats allow quick access to a gun, but generally only smaller ones will fit. If weather allows, I will leave my coat unzipped for better access to my primary gun, otherwise, I add a second gun (something like an LCP) to the outer coat pocket.
Old December 6, 2017, 05:16 PM   #40
Lohman446

I get the argument one the why. It's easier to conceal a larger handgun with more clothing and more clothing MAY impact bullet performance.

However the counter argument is that it is much easier to maintain proficiency with a single firearm than two. I don't see switching from a 9MM in one platform to a .40 in the same platform gaining much. Maybe a .357 SIG? but I doubt that gains you enough to matter.... Personally I would not do it.

Pick your firearm, gain and maintain proficiency with it, and carry good defensive ammo. Then quit worrying about it.
Old December 6, 2017, 05:41 PM   #41
Brit

The Same gun same place always. Glock 19 Gen 4 147g Ranger T. Spare G17 magazine, 17 rounds of NATO Hard-ball, around 1200fps. Expecting cover taking, maybe.
Old December 7, 2017, 12:26 AM   #42
Cheapshooter

Quote:
it is much easier to maintain proficiency with a single firearm than two.
Or three, or four?
Not really when all my carry guns pretty much fire the same way regardless of size, or caliber.
Auto, or wheel gun, point, pull, bang, and pretty much hit what I was pointing at.
But then I am not planning on being a world saving Rambo in extended, long range gun battles. Just a my behind saving guy defending against an assailant feet, not yards away.
Old December 7, 2017, 08:05 AM   #43
Lohman446

Cheapshooter while it is surely possible to maintain proficiency with multiple firearms my statement was that it was easier to maintain proficiency with a single firearm. Is that premise up for debate?
Old December 7, 2017, 10:18 AM   #44
Tactical Jackalope

What's this weather change you all speak of?

Mine stays the same all year.
Old December 7, 2017, 10:43 AM   #45
Cheapshooter

Quote:
What's this weather change you all speak of?

Mine stays the same all year.
Ours is a change in temperature from -0 to +100. Rain to sleet or snow.
Yours is a chang from hot to hoter. With wind from 0 to 200mph!
Old December 8, 2017, 11:47 AM   #46
Nanuk

Quote:
BTW- traditionally, crime goes up when it gets hot, and down when it gets cold.
Except armed robbery which spikes during the holiday's.
My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.
Old December 8, 2017, 07:56 PM   #47
Mike1

Yep. My summer carry gun is normally a S&W Shield, 9mm, while my cold weather carry is usually a commander sized 1911, 45 auto.

Mike
Old December 17, 2017, 06:16 PM   #48
Fjblair

What I carry depends on my clothing, not the bad guys. I carry smaller and lighter in the warmer months. In the colder months when I wear more and bulkier clothing, I can more easily conceal larger guns.