The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 19, 2017, 05:51 PM   #1
trooper3385

Browning Synthetic Stock

I have a Browning X bolt with the synthetic stock that has the rubber coating on it. I’ve noticed that the rubber on the stock has gotten super sticky. Has anyone had this problem before? I have several guns with synthetic stocks on it but this is the only one with the rubber coating on it. I don’t think it’s anything that I have put on it. Only thing I whipe it off with is a silicon cloth. Doubt that would make it sticky, but it sure didn’t make it any better. I tried a rag with a little warm water also, just moistened, and that didn’t help either. If anything, it made it worse. Any ideas what caused it and what I can do to fix it.
Old November 20, 2017, 12:52 PM   #2
T. O'Heir

Browning uses something they call 'Dura-Touch' as the finish. They say no "harsh" chemicals, especially the DEET in your bug spray. It's possible the silicone is the culprit though.
Might be worth a phone call or an E-Mail to Browning.
http://www.browning.com/support/contact.html
Old November 20, 2017, 08:34 PM   #3
jackstrawIII

Funny to see this

Just earlier today I walked into a gun store intending to buy an X Bolt. I held one a few years back and was really impressed

HOWEVER, all the new ones had that Dura stock and I hated it. Ended up walking out with no X Bolt. Maybe I’ll look online for an older one without that crappy rubberized texture.
Old November 21, 2017, 03:39 AM   #4
fourbore

A simple wood stock and a gun made of some kind of metal is a time proven combination.
Old November 21, 2017, 03:45 AM   #5
Danoobie

I like the feel of the X-Bolt stock, and haven't had a problem with it.
I prefer other synthetic stocks, which are harder.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:38 AM   #6
cdoc42

I just bought an X-Bolt with that black stock, and, although impressive, it was marred by KG-1 liquid that I used to clean the new barrel before firing, even though I had covered the pistol grip with a cloth and was attentive to the warnings.

Browning had a request for comments when I completed the warranty/purchase information, and I brought this to their attention, predicting the beauty would not be long-lasting. I don't expect a reply from them, but they should know how vulnerable this stock is to damage from contact with common substances - practical use may reveal an increase in their knowledge base.
Old November 23, 2017, 08:46 AM   #7
cdoc42

Jackstraw, you might want to reconsider your choice, the DuraCoat stock notwithstanding. My purchase was in 6.5mm Creedmoor and my first test firing with 3 shots each of Hornady 140gr SP, Sierra 140gr BTSP and Berger 140gr Hunting HP resulted in groups that ranged from 0.198 to 0.674 inches. That was with the bullets seated 0.02" from the rifling. When seated 0.015 inches away, the groups were 0.361 to 0.861."
Old November 25, 2017, 10:04 AM   #8
jackstrawIII

Cdoc42, yeah everything I’ve read about the X Bolt’s performance has been stellar. Just couldn’t get over the feeling of the stock finish.
Old November 26, 2017, 10:15 AM   #9
NHSHOOTER

I too have a x bolt in 7-08 that shoots under 1/2" groups at 100yds with 120gr noslers..Just killed a nice 8 point with it yesterday too..