The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 17, 2017, 01:26 AM   #1
Jdkunz

GSG MP409

First off I apologise if this is in the wrong section as the firearm is in the grey area between a pistol and a rifle (legally considered a pistol). If needs moving, please do.

Picked up my new gun, a GSG MP409 semi auto recreation of the original German MP40. I have yet to shoot it but I'm going to review it as I'm able.

My interest in this gun came from my interest in WW2 era guns. I had already purchased a Finnish M39 and was looking for a subgun or rifle. I originally wanted to get a Stg44 remake but after finding that they cost around 4k, I settled for the GSG MP40.

The gun did not come in the wooden crate as ATI doesn't ship them that way anymore (knew prior to purchase). The gun was shipped with one 25rd magazine. The MP40 appears to be of good quality and is of solid construction.

One of my favorite features so far (other than that it's a replica) is the threaded barrel. I never heard anyone talking about this feature. The barrel is threaded in M13x1 but a simple thread adapter from CNC Warrior adapted it to my Osprey 9.

More to come soon!

Last edited by Jdkunz; November 19, 2017 at 09:48 AM.
Old November 17, 2017, 02:40 AM   #2
kozak6

Too bad they couldn't figure out an underfolding brace...

Shoot it!
Old November 17, 2017, 07:17 AM   #3
mete

Don't shoot your toes off !
Have fun !!
Old November 18, 2017, 02:22 AM   #4
armoredman

Huge pics, making that big toe life size. I would expect that more of these come out, SOMEONE is gonna make a brace adapter. It won't look quite right, but it would work.
The GSG STG44 22lr rifle, is a really neat and dirt cheap alternative to the hideously expensive real thing or rifle caliber clones. My son loves his. $299 from CDNN right now.
Old November 19, 2017, 09:28 AM   #5
Jdkunz

Went shooting yesterday with my buddy at the range. The MP40 functioned flawlessly, no jams. We put about 150rd through it.

The accuracy of the gun surprised me especially since neither of us has shoot in about six months.

The left is the first "test" magazine at three yards to check function. The right was at about 15 yards. The recoil on the MP40 is very minimal and follow up shots could be done very quickly. This target was at 10 yards.

We had no rest to use during this range trip. In the last magazine, I fired as fast as possible while staying on target. After that magazine, the range staff asked if I had paperwork for the gun.

Also, word is that ATI is designing an SBR stock for those that are interested but it is not yet available.

I will be doing a teardown today and will update again after that.

Last edited by Jdkunz; November 19, 2017 at 11:15 AM.
Old November 19, 2017, 11:22 AM   #6
tallball

Very cool firearm.

How much do they usually go for?
Old November 19, 2017, 02:28 PM   #7
Jdkunz

I bought mine from Atlantic Firearms for $599. It looks like they're on sale for $539 but are out of stock right now.