The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 21, 2011, 01:40 PM   #1
abber

Has anyone tried........

There is a load listed on the IMR site that I would like to try, but I am a little apprehensive. It is for the Hornady 350 grain round nose bullet (not sure of the product number). The max load listed for 3031 calls for 60.0 grains, and is a compressed load. This is, of course, for a Marlin lever gun. I have loaded these using 55.0 grains, and that is a pretty stout load (I usually use 50.0 grains for plinking, because those are much more comfortable to shoot). I was just wondering if any of our community has actually tried this max load recipe? If so, did it break your shoulder? Or your gun? None of my data goes this high for 3031, just the IMR site. Thoughts?
Old November 21, 2011, 03:46 PM   #2
black mamba

It shows a pressure of 37,100 CUP for that 60 gr compressed load, while another max load shows 39,300 CUP with Benchmark powder, so it should be safe for the Marlin. The problem is that your chamber and bore dimensions could be smaller than the test rifle, causing higher pressures. This is why reloaders are always cautioned to "work up" to max loads.

There should only be a difference of about 150 fps from your 55 gr load to the max compressed load, with more recoil and blast from the hotter load, including more wear on the rifle. If you really need the extra power, work up a grain at a time, looking for pressure signs such as hard extraction and flattened primers. If either of these signs are noticed, back off 2 grains and consider that your maximum load in your rifle. Personally, if your 55 gr load is accurate, I would just stay with it. It is already a very powerful load for the 45-70.
Old November 21, 2011, 04:16 PM   #3
Magnum Wheel Man

I got ahold of a Handloader magazine, that had an artical about loading the guide gun to african safari levels... author claiming to kill two water buffalo with one shot, bullet passing through the intended bull, & also killing a cow, standing behind the bull... that is some significant penitration... I load so many different cartridges, that I don't remember the specific load, but while sighting, I knocked off my rear sight, with my chosen load... ( that's since been fixed quite well )... those max loads can & do kick, but my brass looked OK, didn't stick etc... got a nice recoil pad & no scope on my GG
Old November 21, 2011, 05:17 PM   #4
flashhole

I have loaded the 3031 load to max using the 350 grain Hornady. That's pretty much the only bullet I shoot in my Guide Gun. I bought a box of 1500 several years ago from Midway when they did an inventory reduction. I've tried just about every powder there is for the 45-70. My favorites are H-4895 and Varget in that order. The H-4895 chronyed at 1960 fps. Recoil is not bad. I checked my notes, 3031 was very dirty and not very accurate. I relegated the rest of the container to 223 loads, didn't like it there either.

About recoil, don't underestimate the bullet weight as a significant contributor to recoil when comparted to an increased powder charge. Factory loads with 405 grain bullets are milder than my 350 grain bullet loads that step up the velocity. The worst loads for recoil I've shot out of my Guide Gun are 500 grain lead bullets over 40 grains of Reloader #7. Ouch! Considerably less powder with a heavier bullet moving considerably slower but man it kicks at both ends.

I'm sure another influencing factor will be bullet to barrel fit. The Hornady bullet measures .458" diameter. My barrel slugged at .4585" but the Hornady bullet obturates enough that it shoots accurately. The 500 grain bullets I have measure .4605" diameter.

Are you ready for civil war?