The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 14, 2017, 06:07 PM   #1
BluRidgDav

S&W Bodyguard Pluses and a Question?

Looking for a snubbie revolver for pocket carry, for all of the usual reasons that folks like snubbies. But, the specific features that have drawn me to the S&W Bodyguard are:

1. The laser beam runs above the cylinder.
I have CT laser-grips on another revolver and my trigger finger is always interfering with the beam, especially when I have my index finger off of the trigger and indexed along the frame. Besides, the Bodyguard's higher laser runs almost parallel to the bore-line, instead of being offset both right AND down on laser-grips.

2. The Bodyguard has it's cylinder latch on top, instead of on the left side.
I expect this very lightweight revolver to be fairly snappy with +P ammunition, and my strong-side thumb usually rests near the side latches of other revolvers. More than once, my thumb has been bruised or even cut by the side latches on other heavy recoiling revolvers.

So far, so good. But, I noticed on the S&W web-site, that unlike all of the other "Airweights" and scandium J-frames, the Bodyguard is NOT rated for "continuous firing of +P ammunition."Wonder why???

Thanx, Dave.
Old December 14, 2017, 06:33 PM   #2
carguychris

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluRidgDav
So far, so good. But, I noticed on the S&W web-site, that unlike all of the other "Airweights" and scandium J-frames, the Bodyguard is NOT rated for "continuous firing of +P ammunition."Wonder why???
Huh?

Says right here in the spec sheet—"Caliber: .38 S&W Special+P".

From the owner's manual:
Quote:
“Plus-P” (+P) ammunition generates pressures in excess of the pressures associated with standard ammunition. Such pressures may affect the wear characteristics or exceed the margin of safety. Use of “Plus-P” ammunition may result in the need for more frequent service.
This doesn't sound too severe to me. It's your basic run-of-the-mill accelerated-wear disclaimer. Most gunmakers include some sort of similar legalese in the owner's manual regarding continued use of +P.

I wouldn't worry about it. .38Spl+P should be perfectly safe to fire in a BG .38 and I bet that any additional wear won't be noticeable until many thousands of rounds are fired. .38Spl+P is still not a very high-pressure round.
Old December 14, 2017, 06:51 PM   #3
Targa

I like the BG but I think it is a little overpriced compared to S&W's J frame offerings like the 442/642. I do like where the cylinder release is located on the BG. As far as the laser, I absolutely cant stand them so my opinion is obviously biased from the start.
Old December 15, 2017, 02:46 AM   #4
BluRidgDav

carguy,

Yes, the Bodyguard is approved for .38 Special +P ammunition. But, not continuously.

Here is the list of features for the Bodyguard:
• Crimson Trace® integrated laser
• Ambidextrous laser controls
• Pinned, black ramp front sight
• Stainless steel barrel
• One-piece aluminum alloy upper frame
• Ambidextrous cylinder release
• Stainless steel cylinder (PVD Coated)
• Ergonomic one-piece synthetic grip
• Smooth trigger pull
• Adjust laser without any disassembly of firearm

Here is the list of features for the 642:
• Lightweight Alloy Frame for Easy Carry
• Stainless steel barrel and cylinder
• Snag-Free Enclosed Hammer
• Rated for Continuous +P Use

Here is the list of features for the 442:
• Lightweight alloy frame for easy carry
• Stainless steel barrel
• Carbon steel cylinder
• Snag-Free enclosed hammer
• Rated for continuous +P Use

All are aluminum J-frames snubbies with enclosed hammers.
But, only the Bodyguard is NOT rated for continuous +P usage.

Still wondering why ???
Old December 15, 2017, 05:58 AM   #5
shurshot

Both my 638 and 642 Airweights are +P rated, but I seriously doubt anyone would want to shoot enough +P's to wear one out. They are wonderful little pocket weapons, well constructed and light in the hand and accurate. The downfall is when loaded with +P's, they kick worse than my .44 Magnums! Fine for occasional use and self defense carry, but miserable if you plan on shooting several boxes of stout rounds at one session. I tried! The SW's are quality guns, I wouldn't worry about +P's, as your hand will likely wear out long before the weapon will! Lol!
Old December 15, 2017, 03:39 PM   #6
DaleA

On a side thread, I was really intrigued with lasers until I got to shoot one for a while and quickly became disenchanted with them.

I've come to regard lasers, like many other things, to be an individual taste. If anybody likes 'em (and many highly regarded folk do) I'm sure not one to get in their way.

As to the philosophy 'I'd rather have the laser and not use it than need it and not have it'...meh...I'll leave it off my guns except for maybe some fun at the range.
Old December 19, 2017, 10:22 PM   #7
otasan

Yes, lasers magnify any and all movement of the gun.
Old December 20, 2017, 11:05 AM   #8
David R

I had a new BG 38. After a few hundred rounds, it started having light hits. It developed end shake. I sent it back. It was restored to original . After hundreds more, it loosened up again. I sent it back, again free if charge. When it was returned in new condition, I traded it fora 637 and put CT laser grips on it. Fired over 1,000 rounds, still tight.

Look where the back of the cylinder sits against the frame. There is only a little support and that is aluminum.

The workings are totally different than a J frame, or any other Smith.

I have pictures if you would like.

Been carrying the 637 in an ankle holster for a couple years.

David
Old December 21, 2017, 10:18 PM   #9
James K
Member In Memoriam

Like many other products, guns are made to have a certain life expectancy. Every gun, made by any maker, will wear out eventually, the question is when and after how many rounds. We are used to guns that will last almost forever with a service life of generations. But that approach costs money. Many gun makers are exploring the life expectancy issue. How many shots does the average owner fire in HIS (not the guns') lifetime. If the owner will fire only one 50 round box (many do not even fire that many), why make a gun to last tens of thousands of rounds? Is an inexpensive gun that will be guaranteed reliable for, say, 2000 rounds, be quite good enough for home defense or carry use?

If course, we old timers of the "blue steel and walnut" generation just can't adjust to that way of thinking. But people in business (any business) must. Otherwise, car bodies would be made of 1/2 inch titanium, cost a million bucks, last thousands of years (and use ten gallons per mile). But why, when most drivers get tired of the "old junker" in under ten years and can't wait to "trade in/up".

Jim
Old December 21, 2017, 11:17 PM   #10
BluRidgDav

I started a second thread on this forum, mainly dealing with the Bodyguard's internals.
Both threads accumulated good advice and information. Thanx to everyone!

I also located a very informative disassembly guide that I found helpful:

http://apexgunsmithing.com/detail-st...d-38-revolver/

Merry Christmas, Dave.

Last edited by BluRidgDav; December 21, 2017 at 11:23 PM.
Old December 22, 2017, 12:33 AM   #11
rodfac

My wife carries a Smith 637 Airweight...not the same as you're looking at, but it shares some of the same characteristics.

Light weight makes it recoil faster with hot loads, but not as much in our experience as some claim. My wife handles +P .38 Special 125 grain loads easily and can go through a half a box before she's ready to quit. Good grips are the key...we found that the S&W supplied 'boot' grips just didn't allow the control nor comfort level needed for regular practice. We ended up buying a set of Crimson Trace grips that fit to perfection...more on them below.

BTW, I hand load 158 gr LSWC's to the same recoil level as her carry loads, allowing her to practice with the same amount of muzzle flip to counteract. Out to 10 yds, the impact points are close enough (~2") that no sight change is necessary.

Her 637, BTW, has the exposed hammer and it has never been a problem during her draw movement. In use, purse or pocket or OWB holster, she covers the hammer with her thumb as the gun is gripped, sliding it back down and around the grip as the gun clears. No wasted time that way and a smooth, tangle free presentation is the result. She always trains that way and it's now 2nd nature for her.

Soon after buying the gun we upgraded the supplied "boot" grip to a pair of Crimson Trace lasers. The grip feel is by far the best we've ever had on a J-frame. She's a tall woman, 5'-10"+ with hands that are very close to my size and I wear "L" sized gloves. The laser, which I poo-pooed before using it, turned out to be a great training aid, and not only for her.

I've taught several of her friends to shoot after they got their CC licenses here in KY, and using the laser shows bad trigger technique immediately. Dry fire or live, the dot reveals all. Whether it's all that useful for home defense can be debated, but for new or experienced shooters, alike, it'll help you with your grip uniformity and trigger manipulation issues.

HTH's & Merry Christmas to one and all. Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.