The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 11, 2017, 03:06 PM   #1
jackstrawIII

Crooked Scope Woes

Looking for some input. This is probably a rookie question, but I'm desperate.

I have a few guns that, despite my best efforts, I can't seem to get the scopes mounted perfect in line with the bore of the rifle. Several of my scopes are visibly out of line with the barrel.

What am I doing wrong? I've tried to loosen the screws and force the scopes to center properly... but it doesn't work. There's got to be a solution here, but I can't find it.

Last edited by jackstrawIII; December 12, 2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old December 11, 2017, 04:53 PM   #2
langenc

Didnt saay weather dovetail or bases.

Get the bases screwed on solid. They should line up fine. occasionally on would be not be straight (RARE) but.

Then mount the bottom half of the rings, set the scope in, secure w/ lg rubber band etc, and see how it looks. Ive never had one not line up.

Addn Ill lap the rings but many argue, not necessary. Never use the

Dovetails need to be sure the base dont conflict w/ the rifle reciever.
Old December 11, 2017, 05:01 PM   #3
HiBC

Are you asking about the scope and the barrel being pointed in different directions or are you asking about getting your crosshairs level?

If the latter,a plumb bob string is always straight up and down. Usually you can put a small level someplace on the receiver.
A rifle vise helps a lot.
Old December 11, 2017, 05:15 PM   #4

I think what you are asking is: you get the scope crosshairs level, then when you tighten the rings it turns the scope.
Yes, I have pulled my hair out from that myself. I really don't have a solution other than trial and error. I have tried everything I can think of from putting the scope on so that by tightening up the rings, it will bring it to level. I have tried being very aware of tightening the screws with the same amount of torque, I have tried continuously checking and if it starts to turn I tighten the screws on the other side hoping to bring it back to level.......... In the end, I tried everything over and over until the crosshairs were level and thanked the almighty that it was over. Some rings seem to do this and others don't. I have mounted probably a hundred scopes and on the rings that do that, it is nothing but frustration.

If you are asking how to get the crosshairs level: I have a set of levels from Wheeler Engineering: you can get them at Amazon, Midway, Brownells............ You sit one on the action and one on the elevation turret of the scope (they are magnetic) and make them agree that the scope is level. I have also used a plumb bob. I also have some kind of scope leveling device that has a square rod that goes though the rail on the rifle and it is intended to be used to align the crosshairs with it by eye. I basically only use the thing as another level: it has a bubble level on it and if I can't put one of those Wheeler Engineering levels on the action for some reason (like the magnets don't stick because the action is aluminum or there is no room for the level).

On my long range rifles, I also have a level on the rifle or actually they are mounted to the scope tube so that when I am firing the rifle, I know it is level. Obviously after getting the scope mounted and level, I then make the last level agree with the other two levels.

Yes, it is much easier to do this if you have the gun in some kind of cradle. I have a gun cleaning cradle thing that I bought from Midway 20 years ago or so.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old December 11, 2017, 05:47 PM   #5
jmr40

Assuming you are talking about getting the cross hairs vertical;

If using Weaver rings with the screws all on the same side the scope will rotate as the screws are tightened. Just start out with the vertical line slightly off and it will rotate into place. It is a sort of trial and error process. If you have screws on both sides snug them up and alternate sides tightening just a little at a time.

If the scope mounts are not pointing the scope directly in line with the barrel it is more complex. If you are using windage adjustable mounts they are adjustable. I'll not go through the process, but will advise throwing them in the trash and getting something else.

Those mounts are useful if the scope mounting holes are not drilled properly. That was an issue 70 years ago and that is why they were invented. But if you're having that problem on a modern rifle the rifle is defective and should be sent back to the manufacturer so you can use better mounts.

Winston Churchill
Old December 11, 2017, 07:02 PM   #6
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Those old Weaver rings that hook on one side and have two screws on the other do take a bit of learning.

Tilt the scope a bit to the hook side before tightening the screws.

Once "righteous", however, they do hold the scope in place against recoil.
Old December 11, 2017, 08:27 PM   #7
Mobuck

I get the scope squared up and start snugging the screws alternating side to side and crisscross 1/4 to 1/2 turn at a time until the screws are tight. Tightening one side then the other will usually result in cocked crosshairs.
Old December 11, 2017, 09:03 PM   #8
reynolds357

Is the scope out of level, or is it out of square with the bore?
Old December 12, 2017, 08:27 AM   #9
jackstrawIII

Should have been more specific.

I’m talking about the scope being out of line with the bore of the rifle.
Old December 12, 2017, 09:38 AM   #10
HiBC

Ok.
What style of base do you have? Weaver?Or the rotating dovetail front with rear cup windage screws,or other?If the rear base has opposing cup screws,that IS a windage adjustment.If you have those,tell us.

Is this a rifle that was factory drilled and tapped?

Have you looked very closely at the fine details of how the parts fit together?
Is something not seating right?

You have the thing to look at,I don't. We need details or pictures. Put yourself in our position,trying to guess all the possibilities that you have right in front of you. Help us help you.
Are the front and rear rings clocked the same?

You should start with just the lower ring halves clamped securely to the bases.Index mark discretely the parts so they go back the same way.

Ring lapping is a whole different topic,but its recommended provide it gets done right. Forget that for now.

Will both rings clamp to the bases? Leave them there and re-assemble the scope/rings.

If one ring was at 11:45 on the clock,and the other at 12:15,tight to the scope,you'd have this problem.

Last edited by HiBC; December 12, 2017 at 09:45 AM.
Old December 12, 2017, 04:00 PM   #11
Picher

I've done this many times.

Once in a while, receiver screw holes don't align with the bore...even when done by the factory, but more often by a gunsmith.

If you cut a thin sheet of aluminum that's about 1/3 the width of the base and put it under the base on one side, then do the same thing with the other base, but on the opposite side, you can correct the alignment. For example: If the scope was pointing Left, put the forward shim on the left side of the front base and under the right side of the rear base.

Soda or beer can metal works well. Use High Strength Locktite (Stud and Bearing Mount) under the shims and bases.

You may even need to add two shims under each of the bases, if the scope is badly out of line.

Don't forget to use blue (removable) Loctite on the base screw threads.

Last edited by Picher; December 12, 2017 at 04:06 PM.
Old December 12, 2017, 07:25 PM   #12
reynolds357

Use a set of windage adjustable bases and rings. They used to be called Redfield bases, they are now called leupold type.

Tags
scope