The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old December 9, 2017, 12:40 PM   #26
5pins

If you shop around online you can find HST's for less.
Old December 9, 2017, 02:00 PM   #27
ThomasT

I don't what else you could ask for in a hollow point bullet than what you got out of the WB ammo you did the test on. Looks like good stuff to me at a price anyone could afford to practice with. Practice is just as important as the bullet. Maybe more so.
Old December 10, 2017, 08:03 PM   #28
johnwilliamson062

Quote:
Just remember over expansion was blamed for the failure of the Miami shootout.
That is a gross over simplification concerning ammunition that probably isn't on the market in the same form today.

These rounds are right at the FBI minimum. What does that mean? I'm not really sure anyone knows b/c the standard dpoesn't seem to be based on any scientific. It is important to remember 12 inches in ballistic gel is not the same as 12 inches in anything they would normally be shot at in a defensive situation.

Nitpicking obvious typos... enjoy to your hearts content.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:22 PM   #29
ThomasT

Just having fun with your typing mistake. I make them myself and don't always catch them in time to edit and correct. Of course I knew what you meant. No offense intended.

And I don't blame the Silvertip round for the failure of the Miami shootout. I blame arrogant, sloppy work on the part of the FBI. They had better guns but just assumed they wouldn't need them so they went to a gun fight with snubs and guns that fell off of car seats and couldn't be found. They should have let the highly trained and properly armed street cops make the arrest. Maybe everyone would still be alive today. At least the the law enforcement guys.

And I put no faith or reliance on anything the FBI list as needed for defensive ammunition. The FBI reminds me of a bunch of twelve year old girls that can't figure out which boy to like this week. They are so wishy washy on calibers and ammo performance.

Last edited by ThomasT; December 11, 2017 at 03:47 PM.
Old December 11, 2017, 08:42 PM   #30
SauerGrapes

I've seen similar results with the Remington 115gr budget HPs.
Thanks for taking the time to test some of the lesser valued SD ammo.

R.I.P.____Murphy