The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 1, 2017, 01:36 PM   #1
TheLastGoodFight

S&W 21-4

Time for someone to educate me.
Several of you old hands have owned and shot S&W in all its successes and all its failures. The pre-lock pinned & recessed days were way before my time so I came up in a world where everyone wants the old guns.

Fast-forward to today; I have a S&W model 21-4 in .44 special that I can't seem to put down. It has the heinous lock, but it's such a wonderful little pistol that I'm wondering why I don't hear about more guys shooting it, considering the love so many have for the .44 special.
The stocks are the work of Mr. Grashorn, complimented by Tyler T. Is there a reason the world doesn't seem to love this pistol like I do?
Old December 1, 2017, 01:44 PM   #2
RickB

I have a Thunder Ranch 22-4, and while I don't have any trouble putting it down for long periods of time, I do really enjoy the times that I do shoot it.

I've owned S&W revolvers from the teens, the '20s, '50s, used to have one from the Lear Siegler days that were supposed to be S&W's darkest, and they've all been good guns.
Old December 1, 2017, 01:53 PM   #3
Buckeye!

Thats a great looking revolver!!!!
Old December 1, 2017, 02:50 PM   #4
jolly roger

I have one in nickel with Ahrends stocks and hole in the frame be darned I think it is a superb and accurate gun...plus I cant afford an original Model 21!
Old December 2, 2017, 07:50 AM   #5
CajunBass

Those are great guns that I've owned a couple of them over the years. Sold them off for various and sundry reasons but not because there was anything wrong with the guns. (I'm neutral on the locks. I don't care for them, but don't care about them either.)

Good looking gun. I like the T-grip treatment too.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 2, 2017, 09:09 AM   #6
arquebus357

Nice looking revolver in a great cartridge.

It appears that the bluing is just about gone from the gun metal. Is that natural wear or was it purposely "antiqued" ? The frame looks case hardened. Whatever, it presents very nicely. I have to admit though, if it were mine, I would remove the Tyler T.
Old December 2, 2017, 09:32 AM   #7
TheLastGoodFight

Quote:
Originally Posted by arquebus357 View Post

It appears that the bluing is just about gone from the gun metal. Is that natural wear or was it purposely "antiqued" ? The frame looks case hardened. Whatever, it presents very nicely. I have to admit though, if it were mine, I would remove the Tyler T.
The disappearing blue is natural holster wear. I've carried this pistol every day that I've owned it so such a thing is not surprising.
I'll admit, I prefer the aesthetic of a T-Gripless pistol but my accuracy increased exponentially once I got them on there. In my opinion, it is slightly unsightly but appearance is secondary to function in this case.

Thanks for the response.
Old December 2, 2017, 11:40 AM   #8
lamarw

The only thing that is important is that you like it and it is serving your well. Gone on about your business now and shoot it some more.
Old December 2, 2017, 02:36 PM   #9
joed

I have a 29-8 MG That goes with me more then any other revolver I own. And I own a 24-3 and 2 624's.

So far I see nothing wrong with the lock or MIM parts. There are those that complain about these items and only buy older S&W's. I think they don't know what they're missing.

I've owned 2 newer revolvers and never a complaint. The 686+ I sold, I just don't like the L frame, don't know why. But, the MG has been a good one.

Yours looks great.

Old December 2, 2017, 04:08 PM   #10
shurshot

I just tried, and failed, to load pics of my 29 and 629, new ones with locks as well as two vintage 29's. Aside from the hole, they are all very beautiful revolvers! I love my new ones, and with the MIM parts and updated design, they are FAR stronger and more durable than the vintage .44's.
Old December 2, 2017, 09:21 PM   #11
Master Blaster

I love my 22-4 in .45 acp. It shoots great and has perfect balance.
Old December 10, 2017, 10:23 AM   #12
walnut1704

You really don't want them to like what you like. They'll just drive the prices up to stupid levels.
Old December 11, 2017, 06:08 AM   #13
CajunBass

Quote:

I'm not sure, but I believe the frame on those guns were case hardened. I know I've seen some Smith & Wesson's from the "classic" series that looked as if the frame had been. I'm not sure if it was real case hardening or a finish, but it looked good.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old December 11, 2017, 05:20 PM   #14
dgludwig

Quote:
I love my new ones, and with the MIM parts and updated design, they are FAR stronger and more durable than the vintage .44's.
I don't know what you mean by the adjective "FAR" in terms of comparing the strength and durability of new Smith revolvers vs older ones but I think you overstate your case (such as it might or might not be) by FAR!
Old December 23, 2017, 09:29 AM   #15
rep1954

I have both old and new S&W revolvers and I have to say the frame mounted firing pin guns with the MIM hammers have a much faster lock time than the older guns even with comparable springs. The triggers I have experienced on the new guns have all been crisp and reasonably light with some getting springs changed but the same holds for my older guns. The finishes on the new guns are terrible and nothing to brag about. When I want to show off the older guns come out but when I want to shoot out come the new. I do wish however that the actions of new guns made the same sound of the old guns as it is timeless.
Old December 23, 2017, 10:30 AM   #16
Mike Irwin
Staff

This is my .44 Special. It's a Lew Horton Model 24-3, made sometime around 1984, IIRC.

It carries the 6.5" barrel. I generally prefer 4" barrels, but this one was such a good price at the time that I couldn't pass it up.

It's amazingly accurate and is a joy to shoot.

I'd love to get one of the 3" Model 24-3s, but I've never had the money when I've had one in front of me.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.