The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 4, 2017, 06:41 PM   #51
dgludwig

Quote:
Can't have more the 6 in a Cowboy competition, not that I do but just one point.
I don't compete in Cowboy competition but I thought the rules mandated having only five shots in sa revolver stages-the same number of rounds the Lone Ranger should have loaded his non-transfer bar safety revolvers with back in the day.
Old December 4, 2017, 07:38 PM   #52
Brutus

Silver bullets didn't need no stinkin transfer bar safety.
Old December 6, 2017, 10:54 AM   #53
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
That's a tough question... and while I'm going to buy a 7 shot GP100 over a 686+, that's only because I don't already have a 7 shot .357. If I already had a 686 and had gotten use to it and know it's a good gun that works well, I wouldn't bother letting it go for the unknown.
The 686+ is an excellent firearm, and the pinnacle of comfortable magnum shooting with X-grips attached. I still find myself irked by the lock hole though... I've been contemplating "the plug" but keep finding other projects getting ahead of it.
Old December 6, 2017, 03:33 PM   #54
Real Gun

Quote:
Quote:
Can't shoot lead bullets in it due to the polygonal rifling.
Where in the world did you come up with that info??? Nowhere on the spec sheets does it state that
That is true for me, even with throat work and various bullets to address part of the leading issue. Smiths have throats smaller than typical lead, and newer ones have ECM rifling, so my only newer S&W that shoots lead without bothersome fouling is the 625PC with its cut rifling and opened up throats, distinct from the 625JM (throat job), which is awful with lead (for me at least). Some of the older ones with cut rifling have the throats opened up and work well. My pinned and recessed 19-4 with its cut rifling is an example of one with throats that were opened up and shoots lead routinely now.
Old December 8, 2017, 08:57 AM   #55
wild cat mccane

Two stores have them online. Cost is that of the 686+. Factor in the $50 S&W rebate...