The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 19, 2018, 07:48 PM   #26
dajowi

"Fred's is part of Kroger, IIRC. They only sold guns in Alaska." I don't know about Kroger, but I purchased a Ruger SA at a Fred Meyer in Oregon not too long ago.
Old March 19, 2018, 08:09 PM   #27
Glenn E. Meyer

Must have changed and I missed it.
It’s been awhile
Old March 19, 2018, 08:32 PM   #28
L2R

We are the silent minority.
Why would one carry but talk about it. Why would you want to bring attention to it?
Why openly discuss guns on media sites where your boss or neighbor or thief would misuse that information?
Now with new laws, being publicly pro-gun is inviting someone to call the police saying you are dangerous without worry about repercussions.

All that said, how are we boycott or voice our side much less convince others that we aren't fighting to own a week end toy, that we value our ability to defend ourselves and family.

I think this is why many feel the NRA has hidden powers and are bewildered when votes are cast. We are a silent minority that does add up some of the time. It just doesn't get any headlines.
Old March 19, 2018, 09:17 PM   #29
rickyrick

Quote:
Why openly discuss guns on media sites where your boss or neighbor or thief would misuse that information?
There’s actually groups of trolls that search social media for unsavory things like that and if they can figure out your employer, they will notify your company. I don’t post anything political on FB as a personal policy. My wife works at a place that she can’t post anything about guns or the like.
Old March 19, 2018, 09:27 PM   #30
FrankenMauser

Quote:
(...)
I think this is why many feel the NRA has hidden powers and are bewildered when votes are cast. We are a silent minority that does add up some of the time. It just doesn't get any headlines.
Indeed.
I know two people - one through friends, one through an internet forum - that have been evicted from their places of business in the last two weeks, because their landlords checked the renters' personal Facebook pages and found 2A-related political views that they didn't like. Both were given essentially the same excuse by different landlords 1,300 miles apart: "We don't want our property to be associated with your kind."
Even though both were swing voters and heavily leaning toward "compromise" gun laws before, you can bet your bottom dollar which way they'll be voting now.
Old March 19, 2018, 11:42 PM   #31
rwilson452

I'm not worried. I suspect everyone in town knows I own guns. I serve as a trustee at my local rod and gun club. It says that on our web site. I'm my own landlord so I won't kick me out. I have been interviewed by one of the local rags.

I'm not worried. Some of the local juveniles seem to avoid me. I think that is a good thing.
Old March 20, 2018, 02:46 PM   #32
Longhorn1986

Here in Texas, Kroger actually stood up to the lefties and refused to post their stores 30.06 or 30.07 (no CC, no open carry). I just bought a couple of gun magazines from them Saturday, so they are still okay here. Of course, H-E-B will clean their clock if they dare go anti-gun in Texas.
Old March 20, 2018, 03:23 PM   #33
JN01

Here in Ohio, Kroger resisted a big campaign to prohibit concealed carry in their stores. They have removed a bunch of magazines in my local store- mostly handgun titles remained on the racks.
Old March 21, 2018, 02:57 PM   #34
KyJim

YouTube seems to be expanding its anti-gun position according the story here from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pting-backlash.

One of those banned, or at least suspenced, is Spikes Tactical. Another is InRange TV. It seems InRange has moved the site to an adult site. I'm wondering if viewership will go up or down. Anybody heard what YouTube's newest criteria are?
Old March 21, 2018, 05:20 PM   #35
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyJim View Post
YouTube seems to be expanding its anti-gun position according the story here from Bloomberg: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...pting-backlash.

One of those banned, or at least suspenced, is Spikes Tactical. Another is InRange TV. It seems InRange has moved the site to an adult site. I'm wondering if viewership will go up or down. Anybody heard what YouTube's newest criteria are?
New criteria is that any video that shows manufacturing a firearm or suppressor or magazine over 30 rounds will be removed and a strike put on the channels account. Also included is ammunition reloading videos and anything that shows how to make a bumpfire stock or use a bumpfire stock.

I see the game Google/Alphabet is playing; they want as little knowledge about guns available. Videos that show how to build an AR from an 80% lower, how to assemble a stripped lower, how to assemble an upper, how to reload ammunition so you don't have to rely on factory ammo that in California (the headquarters of the big social media companies) that requires background checks, so you can't make your own suppressor on a lathe or work on a selector switch and a disconnector and make a full auto firearm are no longer allowed on their website.

It's all going to lead to the exodus from Youtube to another website that will put Youtube in danger of becoming the next AOL or Myspace. At the rate Youtube is going, they're going they're going to drive away a lot of content creators to better platforms.

The big one really is going to be when another video hosting website finds a way to pay people from advertisement revenue like Youtube use to do. Not that I hate Patreon, I just hate that it's not itself a video hosting website. I never used it when I made donations to Patreon for my favorite gun channels.
Old March 22, 2018, 04:01 PM   #36
Rob228

It couldn't hurt to start reporting every music video on YouTube that makes reference to gun violence.
Old March 22, 2018, 06:34 PM   #37
rickyrick

Great idea, been reporting official movie trailers for violent content... why the double standard, right?
Old March 22, 2018, 09:55 PM   #38
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
I see the game Google/Alphabet is playing; they want as little knowledge about guns available.
Its their game. Their board, their pieces, their rules.

Perhaps its time to consider that generations of people got the kind of information UTube is now going to restrict, from BOOKS.

Of course, books require a different kind and level of effort, and often a cash outlay, Old school and obsolete, perhaps, but once you own a book, its really tough for the website host to take it away from you...