The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 27, 2017, 04:31 PM   #1
Srewball

Look what I found!

I bought a farm and it has some run down buildings on it. There is a partially collapsed barn on the property and I found this in the barn inside an old nasty gun sock.
I don't know much about these other than it looks like a sporterized mauser ( 7mm ) from the best I can tell. Kinda a neat find. Do any of you guys know much about them?
Srewball

edit...I am having trouble figuring out how to resize the pictures so I can attach them. This may take me a few minutes.

Last edited by Srewball; January 27, 2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old January 27, 2017, 04:51 PM   #2
Srewball

still working on pics...

whole.pdf
Old January 27, 2017, 05:01 PM   #3
Srewball

here are some pics

[ATTACH]numbers.pdf[/ATTACH]
Attached Files
File Type: pdf floor plate.pdf (2.00 MB, 115 views)
Old January 27, 2017, 05:07 PM   #4
Srewball

more pics, i hope...

naz mark.pdf
Old January 27, 2017, 05:19 PM   #5
mapsjanhere

ok, the Nazis never used 7mm Mauser, but it's not a German mark anyway. A lot of the sporterized 7mm Mauser are based of 1895 Chile guns, but those had lots of German markings. Might be a Spanish gun with that circle mark.
Old January 27, 2017, 05:25 PM   #6
Srewball

I have a picture here of a clear swastika, but i am having a bear of a time loading the photo so you can see it. Do you agree that it is a sporterized rifle though? Simply does not have the appearance of a "regular" mauser rifle to me. But then again, I don't know much about these vintage rifles.
Old January 27, 2017, 10:46 PM   #7
James K
Member In Memoriam

That one mark is not a swastika; it appears to be a cross of some kind but it has straight arms and not the right-angle arms of the swastika.

I think your picture problem is that you are trying to transmit a huge file. Can you reduce the picture size to the 200 kilobyte range; you won't lose any detail and the folks trying to help won't have to spend a lot of time waiting for those pics to download.

Jim
Old January 28, 2017, 02:58 AM   #8
Blindstitch

Yeah that's just a cross of some type.

You should probably take more photos and open a photobucket account to link them up to.
Old January 28, 2017, 04:17 AM   #9
Scorch

That circle with the cross inside is the proofmark for the Oviedo armory in Spain. The rifle you found is a Spanish-made 1893 Mauser (probably a Modelo 1916 or 93/31) that has been sporterized. Not a great treasure, but any gun you find is a gem!
Old January 28, 2017, 02:56 PM   #10
Srewball

Still working on picture posting

IMG_0604.JPG
Hopefully smaller file size.
Old January 28, 2017, 02:58 PM   #11
Srewball

Thanks

Thank you to those who have replied. It is just cool to know a little bit about the gun. I have no intention of parting with any of my toys, and this was an unexpected addition to my gun safe. Sounds like opinions are leaning towards a rifle from spain.
Old January 30, 2017, 05:45 PM   #12
davery25

Awesome! That would have been the best day ever. Are you going to fire it?

What's the procedure when you find a gun over in the states? Down here (Australia) we'd have to hand it in to police lest it grow a mind of it's own and start attacking people
Old January 31, 2017, 10:55 AM   #13
Srewball

Davery,
Here where I live, I don't know of any rules regarding finding a long gun. It may be different if you "found" a handgun laying in the street. I would think the potential that it could have been used for something less than respectable would cross my mind and bring me concern for possesing it. But with that said, having found this in a barn that I purchased as part of a realestate transaction, I feel quite differently about it. As for shooting it, Im not sure yet. It has a considerable amount of rust on it, needs to be evaluated for safety by a gunsmith ( which are becoming more scarce than endangered animals around here ) and the last point, im not a hundred percent sure of the caliber yet as there is a very faint marking on the barrel that I think is a 7. Needs to be measured still.