The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old November 18, 2016, 10:51 PM   #1
oneshotone

brass for my 25/06

Shooters,
On my birthday this year my son graciously funded a Savage Axis in 25/06 and also 40 rounds of Privi Partisan cartridges. Ishot up the 40 rounds and was very pleased with all of this, proceded to reload the pp brass with117 gn Hornady spbt bullets col 3.180" ( 0.010 off the lands) started off with 47 gn of IMR4350 increasing at 1/2 gn intervals. At 50 gns cases were sticking pretty hard.So went back to 49 gns and was not happy but the rifle was.-CENSORED-
Later on I took some Remington Peters 30/06 brass ( $5.00 for 50 pieces used at the local firerms dealer) and ran them thru a full length die w/ Corbin bullet lube and loaded from 47 gn to 52 gn in 1/2 gn increments all other specs identical and my rifle fired them all with no problem. Fired cases ejected as well as new unfired rounds. I neck sized this brass and repeated the process with same results. The necked down 30/06 brass is abt 0.002" thicker at the neck than the PP brass but a loaded case still had ok neck diameter for my rifle and worked so well I'm hoping remington will start selling brass again. The PP and RP brass were within 4 gn weight of each other empty and cleaned. I'm puzzled.Can somebody tell me the difference and still be nice to Privi Partisan?
thanks, oneshotone

Last edited by Unclenick; November 20, 2016 at 03:44 PM. Reason: typo fix
Old November 20, 2016, 04:15 PM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

I expect your typo of Shooters for a the name of a national restaurant chain may have put some responders off.

A read of this article reveals that not all cases are made from the same alloys. Sounds like the ones you have are perhaps a bit too soft.

Weight is a semi-useful indicator. It is usually useful for cases that all have the same headstamp and weren't manufactured too far apart. As soon as you cross brands or decades, you run into differences in things like head diameter that don't affect internal case capacity but do affect weight. So, what you need to do is trim a few of the average weight cases of each brand to the same length before resizing and with the fired primers still in place, and weigh them dry, then weigh them again filled with water up to level with the mouth (no meniscus) and take the difference. This is called case water overflow capacity. If it is about the same, the difference is due to brass hardness. If the PP has significantly less capacity, then the same load will make higher pressure in them.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle