The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old January 14, 2015, 07:49 PM   #1
Jo6pak

Ruger Charger SBR query

Once in a while that SBR bug comes calling to me, and the Ruger Charger is seemingly a good candidate for an inexpensive way to get in the game.

Has anyone done an SBR built on a Charger?
I was thinking something like a Butler Creek folding stock and a little red dot sight.
Costs involved over and above the price of the gun? Am I correct in that it is just a $200 stamp, paperwork, and a long wait?
Would I be better off shortening a standard 10/22?

Just a thought bouncing around my head at the moment and thought I'd get some opinions.

Good idea? Bad idea? Not worth pursuing?
Old January 14, 2015, 08:02 PM   #2
Sharkbite

$200 tax and submit a form 1 to make an SBR. With a trust you can file electronically and eform approvals are hovering at the 6 week mark right now. A paper application will take a little longer but the wait times have improved on those as well.

Ive thought about doing a SBR Charger as well. If i find one with a threaded barrel i'll jump down that path. A short and suppressed 22 is a blast to shoot. Ive got a M&P 15/22 set up that way. Very fun gun
Old January 14, 2015, 08:32 PM   #3
Jo6pak

Thanks Sharkbite.
I was very close to doing a GSG-5 pistol for an SBR, but I had tons of issues with my GSG rifle, so I scrapped that idea.

I figure the 10/22 is a long proven design so there are no worries of unreliability, parts availability, etc.
Years ago I had a chance to shoot a LCW "pocket rifle" and it was a blast. But I think I would want a barrel a little longer than 5.5"
http://lauerweaponry.com/index.cfm?f...ategory_ID=571

Please share your research into stocks, parts, etc in this thread as you go along with your build.
Old January 15, 2015, 12:23 AM   #4
Sharkbite

I had the barrel on my 15/22 cut to 7" as that leaves about 1" of the suppressor sticking out of the handguard. A shorter barrel would allow the use of standard ammo like some of the bulk pack stuff and still have it remain subsonic.

Bulk pack ammo still goes supersonic outta my 7"
Old January 15, 2015, 06:19 PM   #5
el_chupo_

I am considering doing an SBR on an extra 10/22 hanging out in the safe, might consider the AGP arms stock instead of the Butler Creek.

I have already got the stamp to SBR a 15/22, I am now just considering switching to a different rail so I can go down to around 5" on the BBL for the suppressor to still stick out.
Old February 11, 2015, 08:56 PM   #6
Elkins45

I already owned an 'extra' 10/22 that was a gift from my FIL, so it was cheaper for me to cut it down than to find and buy a Charger.

My stamp was approved months ago but I just got around to having the barrel cut and threaded last week. Now that I have the threaded gun I need to get to working building my Form 1 .22 silencer to go with it. It's been approved for over a year now.
Old February 13, 2015, 08:05 PM   #7
Jo6pak

I've made a few decisions that have me looking into this project again. I was toying with the idea of buying a Steyr AUG, but have decided that an SBR would be more fun.
Right now, I'm looking into buying a Shield for a new carry gun as my CZ75 is too difficult to carry most of the time.

After that, my "gun fund" will be built up to do an SBR; and the Charger seems to be the perfect starting point at a reasonable price point for my budget.

The AGP stock looks like it is worth a bit more research.

Thanks for the info gentlemen
Old February 21, 2015, 12:18 PM   #8
Prof Young

So much to learn.

What does SBR stand for?
Old February 21, 2015, 12:31 PM   #9
9x19

SBR = Short Barrel Rifle

Barrel length less than 16"

I submitted my first eform 1 this morning to SBR one of my Ruger Chargers.

Hopefully, I did everything right.
Old February 21, 2015, 01:54 PM   #10
Sharkbite

Quote:
I submitted my first eform 1 this morning to SBR one of my Ruger Chargers.
We want PICTURES!!!!! Ive done 4 SBRs now and im really thinking about a Charger or 10/22 as my next.