The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old April 2, 2014, 06:39 PM   #1
The Long Shot

Latest AR Build Range Report

I finished building another AR yesterday and took it out to the range to have some fun. I used a Spikes Tactical lower and an upper I just had laying around; I forgot the brand It has a 16" Shilen barrel and a mid length gas piston system I made (basically a lower profile version of POF's), so I can a samson evolution rail over it. I put a CTR stock on it. The lower is pretty standard other than the trigger. The trigger is just an old trigger that I smoothed out and lightened the pull. I put a 2.5-10x32 NXS scope on it which I use on several rifles; I love QD mounts.

Even though I sort of cobbled together the rifle with spare parts, it's a tac driver! It shoots like a dream, smooth and accurate. After I sighted it in a shot a few groups at 100 yards. I'll upload a scan of the target (sorry for the low quality, I don't have a camera). It seemed to average about .5-.75 MOA 5 shot groups! As it heats up it doesn't shoot as well because the upper is too thin for a piston. I haven't weighed it, but it feels light and well-balanced. The best part is that I spent about $775 building it. I think this is going to turn out to be one of my favorite ARs yet.

Target007.pdf

Tags
ar-15 , build , tac driver