The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

View Poll Results: Do you carry your handgun on you at home?
Yes, all the time. 102 36.69%
Sometimes. 101 36.33%
Nope, not at all. 75 26.98%
Voters: 278. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old April 1, 2014, 03:16 PM   #126
Glenn E. Meyer

In sweat pants, one can carry a small bug like an LCP, a small flashlight and a small Sypderco.

The two latter ones come in useful all the time. Lights go out, packages to be opened. It's not really hard.
Old April 1, 2014, 03:17 PM   #127
Theohazard

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2123
I'm a member on other forums, and none are so much a PITA as on this forum.
That's done on purpose. They made quoting more difficult because too many people insisted (despite multiple warnings) on being lazy and quoting huge blocks of text. Then someone would quote the quote, and so on and so on until you just had a huge wall of quotes in the thread.

If you want to learn how to quote, read this.

That's two of the best things about this forum: You don't have people mis-using the quote feature, and you also don't have drive-by posts. It drives me crazy when I go on other forums and see people making threads with just a link in it and nothing else.
Old April 1, 2014, 03:19 PM   #128
Theohazard

Quote:
So, you carry a gun and a flashlight all the time while in your home?
I carry them all the time, period. It just makes it easier and simpler for me. And the flashlight comes in handy all the time; I use it several times a day at least.
Old April 1, 2014, 07:32 PM   #129
Glenn E. Meyer

Many people are not professional enough to use the TFL quote function.

- Sorry, I couldn't resist. Also, you would be surprised at how your poor mods are cursed for controlling drive-bys. How dare we!

We have found that folks would just post a link to nazis, dirty pictures, atrocities, purely commercial sites, etc.

Given what we are paid (ho, ho, ha, ha), we are not checking out links without descriptions.

As far as a pita - get one with falafel.
Old April 1, 2014, 08:28 PM   #130
jr24

Quote:
So, you carry a gun and a flashlight all the time while in your home?
Yep, got a nice little Streamlight that clips in the pocket and is all kinds of useful many situations. Even carry a pocket knife.

I carry at home almost every day. I like to wear my jeans even on Saturdays, so the gun goes on when the pants go on. When I first started carrying, I started at home so I could get used to the weight and feel in a comfortable and private situation, kinda became a habit after that. Good belt and holster and I barely notice the gun is there, spare mags also. That way I don't have to go find and "gear up" when I go out of the house and whatnot. Its not that I live in fear or anything, though rabid dogs are fairly common in my area, so its good to have something in a situation you can't flee from, even in your own yard. Its just habit, and I'm a creature of habit.

The times I don't carry at home are those days I decide to wear sweatpants or athletic shorts, so if that's your preferred clothing at home, I can completely understand not wanting to deal with a belly band or something like that.

As usual, YMMV
Old April 1, 2014, 11:41 PM   #131
Potsy

YES!! I carry my .38 snubbie in my pocket holster , hardly know I have it. I'd rather be with it and not need it , then need it & not have it.
Old April 2, 2014, 12:10 AM   #132
Brotherbadger

Sometimes i do, sometimes i don't. Usually if i carry outside, i'll just leave it on for the rest of the day.

http://300AacBrass.com/ -10% Coupon use code " badger "
Old April 2, 2014, 07:50 AM   #133
Ibmikey

I never carry in the potty because the fumes might cause corrosion to my collector grade tactical green cerakoat High Point .25 auto.
Old April 2, 2014, 11:44 AM   #134
gyvel

I'm blessed with living in a fairly remote and peaceful area. My only reason for home carry would actually be to go outside the house, in which case a sidearm is useful when one encounters a rattlesnake or an itinerant coyote.

That said, I do keep a pump 12 ga. behind the door in my office, but that really isn't "carrying."
Old April 4, 2014, 10:58 AM   #135
bikerbill

When I'm home, my carry gun is off and I have an NAA Pug in my strongside front pocket .. always. It's just my wife and I, and we have few underage visitors, so I also keep a .357 stashed in the living room and a 1911 in my nightstand. As they say, it's comforting to know I can reach the Pug in seconds, or have my hand on it if the doorbell rings when I'm not expecting company. We live in a quiet, peaceful town, but s@@@ happens no matter where you live.
Old April 6, 2014, 01:32 PM   #136
Stevie-Ray

Quote:
Originally Posted by bedbugbilly
. . . if I felt it was dangerous enough that I felt the need to carry in my house . . I wouldn't be living there.

Quote:
If I felt the need to carry while in my home or on my property, I'd move!

Quote:
It's still a free country. Why in the world would someone want to live in an area that they felt the need to be armed in their own home?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragline45
I think it's crazy how naive some people can be to believe that a good neighborhood means there will be no crime. That's like saying being in a gun free zone will ensure your safety from a mass shooting.

If you haven't heard of the Cheshire murders, read up on them. Probably one of the "safest" communities in the whole country, yet one of the most horrific crimes was committed against an entire family.
I agree, and it's equally naive for them to immediately say how "they'd move" like that's an easy thing to do nowadays. "But if it's for the safety of my family, I wouldn't care how much I got for my house, or even if I had to GIVE it away!" is another old saw that we all know is BS.
Old April 6, 2014, 02:51 PM   #137

Every neighborhood is prone to crime. But, the big difference is how often it happens.

If it's an on-going issue that occurs more often than not, then it's time to re-evaluate your situation and make a decision.

We've been in the same house since 1988. Not a single break-in, theft or assault of any kind. No drive-by shootings or kidnappings. No gang issues or problems. We can go for a walk after dark and not worry about taking a gun along. I could go on, but I believe that I made a point.

It's all about choice and whether or not you want to put up with crime and all that it brings to the table. For me, life is too short to put up with it. I have control over my life and I taking protecting the ones I love and my property seriously.

It's never an easy undertaking to move. But, when all things have been considered and the choice is obvious, it becomes a duty to do the right thing.
Old April 7, 2014, 12:08 AM   #138
DannyB1954

I put my Pants and gun on at the same time. I take my dog outside where there might be a coyote waiting to invite her over for breakfast. I have a ccw permit, so the gun is with me all day. When I take my pants off, I put the gun up on the headboard shelf on the bed.
I am not as paranoid as I am realistic. I do not have a feeling of impending doom, actually I am pretty comfortable knowing I can deal with most any situation without having to run to go get something first.
I live in a nice neighborhood, somewhat rural, not far from miles and miles of BLM land. I do have strangers come to my door. Sometimes I am outside doing chores when they come. I do not blindly trust people that I do not know. A lot of people who became victims didn't plan on being a victim that day. If you watch the news, you should know that bad things can happen to random people everywhere. The person who comes to your door saying they are there to offer you a service, might just be trying to case your house for a burglary. If they see that I am wearing a pistol, and not all that friendly, all the better. I am not threatening, I just make the point that I don't want what they have, and they are not coming inside for a visit.
I wore a heavy tool belt all my working life, so a wearing a Ruger SR9C does not bother me a bit. If you say that you would not want to live where I live, I am glad for that. I like the neighbors that I have. We look out for each other.

Last edited by DannyB1954; April 7, 2014 at 12:37 AM.
Old April 8, 2014, 07:13 AM   #139
iblong

Mine goes on when my feet hit the floor in the morning and goes on top the night stand when I lay down.I live in the country but that does not make me immune to trouble.At 60 Im not going looking for my fire arm when trouble kicks in my door.I also feel the safest place for my fire arm is in my holster on my person and under my control.When the Grand kids drop in I dont have to remember to put it away.
Old April 8, 2014, 09:30 PM   #140
arizonaopa

location location location

I live less than 30 miles across the open desert from Mexico. Enough said.
Old April 9, 2014, 03:49 PM   #141
WESHOOT2

I am so friggin' paranoid

See, I keep trying to get the bad guys to adjust their bad guy schedule to conform with when I'm wearing a gun, but they keep laughing at me.

So I wear one all the time; their schedule be damned.
Ay?
Old April 13, 2014, 09:40 AM   #142
SaxonPig

I don't get off on packing. I find it uncomfortable for the most part. I think the odds of criminal attack in my home are very low. I have guns available, but not on my person. I can reach a gun within a maximum of about five seconds from anywhere in the house. If I don't have five seconds then I guess they got me.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:44 AM   #143
Glenn E. Meyer

I caution that we follow the rules of posting. An unacceptable post was dealt with. No need to reply to it.
Old April 13, 2014, 10:59 AM   #144
Aer656y9

As a corrections officer, the main reason I carry off duty at all is because ex cons have a tendency to hold grudges. Nothing has ever happened to me, but I know people who it has happened to. When these guys get it in their head that they want to enact some kind of revenge, they typically follow you home and do it there or the side of the road. That seems to be the most common. So for me, it would be absolutely stupid not to carry while I am at home. I will admit, there are many times when I just don't feel like slipping on the holster and all that jazz just to sit around. But at the very least, I have different guns all around my house and are pretty easy to get to if need be.

I don't think it is crazy at all. Even if I wasn't in corrections, I would still carry. I agree with the others that say, what is the point in having a firearm for personal protection if you don't have it when you need protecting?
Old April 14, 2014, 10:42 AM   #145
jbrown50

Quote:
Do you carry your handgun on you at home?
When I'm dressed the gun is on me whether at home or in the street. I don't think of a firearm as some sort of inconvenient necessary evil that's only to be carried or possessed when I deem it absolutely necessary. Like my keys, wallet and smartphone, the little sub-compact .45 with two spare mags is a normal everyday item. The only difference is that I treat it's handling as a deadly weapon.

I don't have children but sometimes friends and relatives visit with children, and besides, I don't like leaving my gun or any gun laying around. When it's off my body or out of my immediate reach it's in the safe.

My home is peaceful quiet and secure and my neighborhood isn't crawling with crime but it's still not an impenetrable fortress. There's a balance between being paranoid and being complacent. I call it being peacefully prepared.
Old April 14, 2014, 10:05 PM   #146
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
But, the big difference is how often it happens.
If my decision to carry was based on the probabilities, I'd never carry.

I don't care about the odds. It's the magnitude of the potential loss that resonates. I do what I can to avoid losing no matter how slim the chance of losing might be.

It's sort of like a reverse lottery. People don't play the lottery because they have a good chance of winning. Their chances of winning are miniscule. The vast majority of people who play will never win a jackpot. But IF you win--the payoff is tremendous.

The big difference in the "violent crime lottery" is that everybody has to play, and there's not a payoff for "hitting the jackpot"--instead of winning big, you lose big.

Of course, just like the real lottery, most of us will never "hit the jackpot" in the violent crime lottery. But just like the real lottery, someone is going to hit every week--and just like the real lottery, it's impossible to predict with 100% accuracy what area the "winner" will come from.
Old April 14, 2014, 10:45 PM   #147
Oysterboy

That's how I see it. The chance of being victimized is pretty remote but when it happened it paid to be prepared.

You can lose your life only once, it's not like a game where you can press reset and start over.

Also there's no god mode in real life.
Old April 15, 2014, 10:00 AM   #148
Skadoosh

Should those who choose to lock up their weapons at home, especially in homes where small children or grandchildren are on the loose, reconsider their decision because their chances of catastrophic loss are higher because they don't carry at home?

Old April 15, 2014, 11:12 PM   #149
wayneinFL

I just don't see any reason not to carry at home.

I know people who only carry when they feel a need. I know others who put on a gun every time they leave the house. They all put it away when they get home.

I put a 38 in my pocket in the morning when I put my keys, wallet, etc. in my pockets. I go where I want, do what I want, without assessing risk all the time. If you ask me, picking up a gun every time you go to the store or the bank is more paranoid than just having it with you all the time.

And it's not like carrying a fire extinguisher around, or wearing a helmet (those were some pretty silly analogies). You could forget its there.

Someone mentioned flashlights. I started carrying a flashlight during the hurricanes in 04. That comes in almost as handy as a pocketknife. Maybe more so.
Old April 16, 2014, 12:23 AM   #150
jr24

Quote:
That comes in almost as handy as a pocketknife. Maybe more so.
I use my Streamlight MicroStream far more often than my pocket knife.
Closed Thread