The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old January 9, 2014, 11:23 PM   #1
FootTrails

1915 Gewher 98 8mm Mauser

I've got a 1915 Oberndorf Gewher 98 that I'd like some additional info or opinions about.

What I know:

All numbers match - stock, bolt, sight, screws, bands, trigger guard (assuming that the last two digits of the number '902' are on the smaller pieces)
It has imperial markings on stock, bolt, receiver, etc.
Missing cleaning rod
Good shape, doesn't appear to have been cleaned up

Any guesses as to the value of a non-imported, non-sported? Any obvious signs of rebuild?

Additional photos posted on a local forum where I got a few responses:

http://www.theoutdoorstrader.com/thr...98-8mm-Mausser

Many thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 98_4.jpg (238.6 KB, 88 views)
File Type: jpg 98_2.jpg (238.4 KB, 78 views)
File Type: jpg 98_7.jpg (195.1 KB, 76 views)
Old January 10, 2014, 02:28 AM   #2
Scorch

For some perverse reason, WW1 rifles generally do not fetch the same amount as WW2 rifles in similar condition. That said, your rifle looks like it would probably be worth about $600 to $800 for the right buyer.
Old January 10, 2014, 02:48 PM   #3
csmsss

You're absolutely right, Scorch - Gewehr 98's just don't command the same collector interest that K98k's do. Part of it is probably due to them being perceived as excessively long and clumsy compared to the 98k, but I think it's also because there's a certain allure for Nazi-era paraphernalia with a lot of collectors that just doesn't exist for stuff made when Kaiser Willy was running things.
Old January 10, 2014, 03:00 PM   #4
PetahW

Welcome to the forum, FootTrails ! .

Old January 10, 2014, 05:08 PM   #5
Baba Louie

Welcome to TFL FootTrails

Value eh? For insurance? For trading? For sale? Just because you want a number to put with it?

Family heirloom or something you lucked into? (there's reasons for my asking stupid questions)

Since I know a very little about Swedish Mauser's (which I kinda like) I can only compare to them. Buying a long barrel Mauser (w/ import marks mind you) nowadays, $450 ish+, selling one, $400 ish. Trading to LGS, $150 (maybe). Insuring, I got nothing. I'd add another $50-100 for a bringback (clean no import marks). Bringback with provenance, add more, maybe another bill.

If Great grandpa brought it back and its been in the family since 1918 (or 1945), priceless?

A rifle I can ring steel at 880 yds using the dang open sights (and I have done that with both Turks and Swedes and my aging eyes)... what are bragging rights worth? Nada. (it was a BIIIG piece of steel mind you)

Pretty clean 99 year old Obie sir.
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 10, 2014, 06:03 PM   #6
101combatvet

The stock looks clean, but the blueing looks a little thin. Nice early date which is a plus.
Old January 12, 2014, 12:48 PM   #7
FootTrails

All, thanks for the warm welcome and replies.

Louie, excellent points. I lucked up on this one. Reasons? All of the above...Right now I'm on the fence regarding trades, sale or just holding onto what I'm finding to be quite an interesting piece of history.

Tags
german , gew98 , gewher 98 , mauser , ww1