The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old June 7, 2013, 03:31 PM   #1
Rebel9793

Need help identifying an old ruger carbine?

My Uncle brought back a matching ruger 10/22 and a .44 magnum carbine from germany when he was in the service..He has since passed on an I am trying to find parts for the .44 carbine but no body can tell me what model it is It is semi automatic just like the Ruger deerfield carbine but has a full wood stock and the stock is bolted to the action through the bottom of the stock. What is that screw called? Where could I find one. Trying to get it fixed up for Fathers day :/
Old June 7, 2013, 04:11 PM   #2
wogpotter

Call Ruger & ask them for a manual for a full stocked (mannlicher style) .44 self-loading carbine. Several "versions" existed of the carbines & this is just one of them.
The manual should have an exploded parts diagram in it to identify the screw correctly & have its part number so you can order one.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old June 7, 2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Rebel9793

Thanks!
Old June 8, 2013, 03:26 AM   #4
bamaranger

parts

Parts for the old tube feed Ruger .44s are scarce. But with the wonder of the internet, some searching should get results. My calls to Ruger for action parts has never yielded anything useful. They do have some stock parts, as the 10/22 shared some features with the .44.

I like the old .44's, they seem lighter, sleeker and have a better look, to me anyhow. They have a rep as not to accurate, and mine support that claim, unfortunately. But........mine are functionally accurate, and under 100 yds will hit minute of whitetail consistently.
Old June 13, 2013, 10:00 AM   #5
Navyvet8192

Ruger .44

The rifle you are inquiring about is a Ruger International model with a Mannlicher stock. It was made up through the late 70's and is a very solid shooting rifle. I own one myself and have enjoyed it for over 30 years.

Parts are hard to come by and stocks are even harder. I am very happy with the rifle, and it's present value is around $750.00 in very good to fine condition with all original parts.

Hope this helps,

Navyvet8192
Old June 14, 2013, 05:23 PM   #6
g.willikers

If all else fails, bethcha' there's some kind of screw at the hardware store that will, or can be made to fit, with a little whittling.
Old June 15, 2013, 06:43 PM   #7
bamaranger

here ya go

I dug out my factory manual, and the long bolt in the recess behind the butt plate is part C-66 the "recoil block bolt". In my 1982 dated manual, it was 50 cents!!!

As noted prior, that is a pretty fundamental item. Match the threads and diameter in the "recoil block" and trim a slotted screw to correct length, add a flat washer, and you should be in business.

I"d tell you I'd measure one of mine, but I errantly epoxied the block and screw together on a stock repair, so mine is not coming out. It ain't coming loose either!