The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old April 17, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1
Skans

Etiquette Question: Shooting with folks you don't know....

So, you have been invited to "go shooting" with some folks you do business with, but have only met once, at a range you have never been to. You are an experienced shooter, been to many ranges, know and understand range etiquette and rules.

You don't know what kind of shooting these folks do, or even what kinds of guns they typically shoot.

The question is - what gun or guns would you bring with you?

a. 5 of your favorite pistols, SCAR-17, something full-auto, and a Barrett 82a1?
b. Ruger Mark II (or similar .22 pistol)and nothing else
c. Full-auto UZI, because that's just what you feel like shooting that day
d. Old 1911, because who doesn't like old 1911's?
e. Whatever you carry the most, because you need more practice
f. P-210, because you need all the help you can get in the accuracy department.
g. Your newest AR15 build to see if it actually works + some tools to tinker on it if necessary
h. An AK variant because you just think it's "bad to the bone".
i. Something with zombies painted on it.
j. Other

Last edited by Skans; April 17, 2013 at 09:57 AM.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:46 AM   #2
NoSecondBest

I've been invited to shoot under these circumstances many times. I always ask what kind of shooting and have always been told. I then plan accordingly. I can't quite envision someone asking me to go shooting and not telling me what we were going to be shooting or what kind of shooting (shotgun, rifle, handgun, etc). If in doubt, just ask.
Old April 17, 2013, 09:59 AM   #3
Skans

Let's say you really don't have the opportunity to inquire - you just need to show up at the established time and place, with gun(s), ammo and targets.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:16 AM   #4
sigcurious

I'd say C/J C, in that you should pick whatever you want. J in that at least bring along enough stuff to cover the bases, a pistol(or uzi ), rifle and shotgun. That way whatever they happen to be shooting, you have something similar to be on the same part of the range, and shoot at a similar tempo.
Old April 17, 2013, 10:23 AM   #5
Evan Thomas

If they've invited you, you've had the opportunity to inquire. And it seems unlikely, in any case, that the invitation would just be "Come shoot with us," as opposed to "Come and shoot some skeet," or, "We're going to the pistol range," etc. In any case, if it's a group of business acquaintances, I'd err on the side of being a bit conservative. One, or at most two, fairly "vanilla" guns of the kinds that would cover the possible venues/types of shooting: no fully automatic, no "zombie" guns, no magnum calibers -- and nothing I thought I'd be tinkering with. In other words, I'd be as conservative in my choice of guns as I'd be in what I wore.

It would also depend on what kind of businesses we're talking about. Bankers would one thing, guys who run junkyards, another. If the invitation is "Let's go to the gravel pit and bust some washing machines," all bets are off.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:11 AM   #6
Baba Louie

Ask first, then bring whatever you have the most ammo you can afford to not replace for awhile?
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old April 17, 2013, 11:25 AM   #7
patrickmn

I would go with "Other". I would take the Uberti Walker I bought in December and still haven't tried out. It is a gun that can be appreciated by most every gun owner.
EDIT: If I was picking one of those choices, I'd go with the Ruger Mark and the 1911.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:29 AM   #8
lcpiper

J. Other.

These are business acquaintances, just like a resume, you should impress.

Bring a 6" Chiappa Rhino.

It's doesn't look like a carry piece so you give nothing away.
It is a blend of progressive technology applied to an old school wheel gun.
It is neither new nor old, the caliber is powerful yet not over-the-top.
It says "I can get the job done".
It is easy to shoot and unique all at the same time.

I just talked myself into buying one
Old April 17, 2013, 11:34 AM   #9
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

If I put that much thought into it, I'd chide myself for putting that much thought into it and I'd bring the gun I wanted to shoot and/or share with others, or I might bring them all.

They're OK with guns but I'm afraid I might pick a particular gun that might offend them or make them think I'm not cool enough or something?

Mind read, much? Holy Smokes.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:35 AM   #10
BigD_in_FL

If they told you the place to be, call that place and see what they have to offer and go accordingly.
Old April 17, 2013, 11:50 AM   #11
Gaerek

J. I'd bring enough to cover all possible bases. I wouldn't be going with the thought of practice or training, and I'd stay away from anything that may give people the wrong idea (as in, who is this gun nut?!). I also wouldn't bring anything that needs work. I'd probably bring at least one .22, a hand gun or two, and probably a rifle of some kind (as long as it's relatively conservative...as in stay away from the Zombie rifle...a standard AR or AK would be OK I would think). I might also bring the Uzi, and keep it in the car/case just to see how the crowd might react. Might be fun, depending, but of course, you'd have to use your judgement about whether it would be a good idea to bring it out or not.

Other than that, I would have asked some questions when I was invited, that way I would know what others were bringing so I would have an idea what to bring.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:08 PM   #12
Tortuga12

I'd say the Ruger, because it shows class and restraint. Also, when you're hitting the X-ring over and over again, you should get some attaboys.
Old April 17, 2013, 12:10 PM   #13
Aguila Blanca
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skans
You don't know what kind of shooting these folks do, or even what kinds of guns they typically shoot.

The question is - what gun or guns would you bring with you?
Perhaps ask them what to bring?
Old April 17, 2013, 04:55 PM   #14
Skans

Quote:
Perhaps ask them what to bring?
I know, I know, I usually inquire and I will if I get the opportunity. Just assume I wont' get that opportunity. I don't want folks to get the impression that I am overly concerned about this - just thought I'd get everyone's thoughts on what they would bring if they didn't know the folks very well and couldn't get more info. Would you be the: Show-off??? Newbie??? Boring???? Techie (i.e. tinkering with your new AR build)??? Wacky-guy???? Practical shooter???

The Chipa Rhino would be interesting - handled one, but never fired one. Conservative approach - probably the smart thing to do. Uberti Walker - classy and interesting.

Last edited by Skans; April 17, 2013 at 05:13 PM.
Old April 17, 2013, 06:55 PM   #15
BigD_in_FL

A big NO to being the showoff, especially since you are talking about business connections. I go to some corporate shotgun shoots that are set uber-soft for the likes of me as I shoot registered sporting clays; yes I do my best, but I am as humble as can be - I do not TANK a station or deliberately lose, but even when I am cleaning some clocks because of new shooters, I am being encouraging and giving some help....for shotgun games that seems to work well
Old April 17, 2013, 06:58 PM   #16
ChaseReynolds

If I am shooting with people for the first time, I am bringing my EDC. I can always use more practice and I almost always have plenty of plinking ammo for it.
Old April 17, 2013, 07:01 PM   #17
BigD_in_FL

Maybe, but what if they are asking you to shoot some trap?
Old April 17, 2013, 08:35 PM   #18
jonnyc

If you're truly going in blind, a pistol, rifle, and a 12 ga. should cover most of your bases. I would lean towards the more conservative side and bring guns that you are sure are reliable, and most importantly......that you can shoot well!
Old April 17, 2013, 08:55 PM   #19
David13

I say ask them. Not us.
What I look for, or request in a situation like that is variety. I like to bring what they don't have and if they have what I don't, I ask them to bring it.
New things. That's what adventure is all about.
dc
Old April 17, 2013, 09:03 PM   #20
chadio

- .22 handgun
- something larger caliber than .22 handgun

- .22 rifle
- something larger caliber than .22 rifle

Done. Next question...
Old April 17, 2013, 09:17 PM   #21
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
These are business acquaintances, just like a resume, you should impress.

Bring a 6" Chiappa Rhino.

It's doesn't look like a carry piece so you give nothing away.
It is a blend of progressive technology applied to an old school wheel gun.
It is neither new nor old, the caliber is powerful yet not over-the-top.
It says "I can get the job done".
It is easy to shoot and unique all at the same time.

I just talked myself into buying one
One of my good buddies really wants one of these for similar reasons. He likes the new twist on an old concept.

Anyways, I'd bring some milsurp and a handgun. Even if they don't collect milsurp themselves, lots of people admire a nice Garand or 1903 Springfield. They can also start up some pretty good conversations. A semi-auto handgun can be pretty generic. I can't imagine most people getting upset if you were to bring a pretty vanilla handgun.

If they weren't work companions, I'd be more okay with pulling out the AR's, SCAR's, AK's and the likes, but I'd go for a bit more conservative stuff given the situation.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old April 18, 2013, 08:31 AM   #22
johnwilliamson062

Right now? Whatever I can find ammo for!

I'd take my Garand and my single six. Both are guns almost everyone knows a little about, but they aren't really all that common among people who don't shoot a lot. Probably my 10/22 or Marlin bolt 22 also. I'd want to have a few 22s so I could let any new shooters shoot to their hearts content. Take a full auto UZI and a new shooter may try to go through $1000 of ammunition without realizing it. NOt a good position to be in with "business contacts."
Old April 18, 2013, 09:03 AM   #23
geetarman

I would be real careful about shooting with folks I don't know.

I know some who would take a really nice gun and slam the slide shut on an empty gun or lay a really nice piece of walnut stock down on a concrete shooting bench.

I would not take any of my better firearms out of the bag until I saw how they handle the everyday guns.

Same thing with guitars. I don't let people just pick up my instruments and play them until I see how they treat their own instruments.

My guitars don't have dings in them and for the most part neither do my guns unless I bought them from someone else. I want it to stay that way.

Carpe Cerveza
Old April 18, 2013, 10:42 AM   #24
45_auto

If you don't want to ask them what they plan to shoot, at least call the "range that you've never been to" and ask them what kind of range it is.

You're going to look pretty stupid with any of your choices on a skeet range.

Your choices for a 25 yard indoor range would hopefully be different than those you would choose for a 1000 yard outdoor range.
Old April 18, 2013, 04:23 PM   #25
KyJim

As others have said, you need to at least have an idea of what kind of range you're going to. After that, I would be "conservative" with my choice of guns because it's for business purposes. Do you really want to shoot a full auto Uzi and freak out a possible customer? That probably even goes for an AR or AK. For handguns, a .22 Ruger is always appropriate. Then take something else that is not too wild (may not want to take that polymer hi-cap with red dot and laser grips). Shotgun? Leave the tacticool model at home and stick with a traditional pump or semi-auto if you have one.

I was faced with something a little different this past weekend. My daughter wanted to bring a friend to shoot handguns. Seems he's from the Northeast and is not a gun guy but is interested in becoming a cop after college. I brought a .22 Ruger and my SW M&P 9mm. Turns out he had shot handguns once. We started with the .22 and then the 9mm. I could see he was getting into the 9mm much more than the .22 so my daughter shot the .22 and the guy shot the 9mm. I mostly watched.

Last edited by KyJim; April 18, 2013 at 04:28 PM.