The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old November 5, 2012, 09:59 PM   #1
tkglazie

Sig P238 MA compliant version- usable as is, or at least "fixable"?

I have searched the forum several times but cannot seem to find the info I am looking for. If this is a repeat question, my apologies, and please direct me to the correct thread.

I am strongly considering a new P238 as a semi-primary CCW (please, no anti-.380 comments). I currently carry an excellent Bersa model 83 that I have had for almost 20 years and will continue to carry this gun at times, but I would like something even more concealable and a bit lighter.

The problem is, I live in Massachusetts. My version of the P238 will come with a very strong trigger. It is perfectly legal for me to modify my own gun once I get it, but I am getting the sense that this might not be as easy as smoothing out and lightening the trigger on my wife's SP101, for example.

Does anyone have experience with a MA compliant P238, and if so, do you have any advice or feedback for me?

Thanks
Old November 7, 2012, 04:56 PM   #2
tkglazie

There were a lot of views but no replies to this thread so I thought I would post an update. I didnt find any info elsewhere so I took a gamble and picked up a P238 today. Wow is this a great gun. By the end of my first box of reloads this little jewel was holding 1.5" groups at 25' with no problem. The trigger is junk compared to a good fullsize SR1911, but the gun is such a nice little shooter it is easy to handle the relatively creepy 8-9lbs trigger pull.
Old November 11, 2012, 10:40 AM   #3
dlancello

Hard trigger

I had bought one of these little beauties while waiting for my Kimber Solo with the idea that it would be handed down to my wife as soon as the Solo came in. It is a sweet little pistol but my wife hated the trigger pull. Not so much the heavy pull as a rough spot in the sear to hammer surfaces. These can be polished easily and make a world of difference in the trigger. The 9 lb creep can be easily fixed by cutting the trigger return and hammer springs. I'm not sure what the MA trigger feels like ( I'm in Indiana ) if you are familiar with the P238 and comfortable in disassembling the trigger group you can seriously improve the feel and accuracy of this great pistol. Oh yea my wife doesn't get to shoot it much.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:17 AM   #4
tkglazie

Funny you should say that- since the last post I took the P238 apart and did a little fit and finish work. A slight massaging of the mainspring did wonders. Between that and the 500 rounds through it the trigger now breaks at just over 5.5lbs and has much less creep than before (no FTE or FTF in those 500 rounds btw). I wont go so far as to call it a great trigger, but it is definitely in the "good" category now, which is pretty impressive for a gun the size of a deck of cards.

When partsproduction runs off another batch of stainless triggers I will pick one up and maybe a stainless or aluminum mainspring housing, but for now she is good to go. Sweet little gun.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:05 PM   #5
drail

How exactly does one "massage" a mainspring?
Old November 11, 2012, 01:32 PM   #6
tkglazie

took a little bend out of it. not much, but it made a big difference