The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old June 9, 2012, 04:14 PM   #26
hooligan1

That's what I'm talking about!
Old June 12, 2012, 05:41 AM   #27
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I finally got to put my hands on an American yesterday . I ordered one in .308 ! That rifle fits me like a custom , if Ruger would introduce a youth model of this rifle , it would be a huge seller for them ! For some reason , Ruger pretty much ignores the youth centerfire market .
Old June 12, 2012, 09:23 AM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

If the forearm is free-floating when not on a sandbag, but touches when resting on the bag, I suggest opening up the channel in the forearm. It's too easy for you to sight in with the sandbag but have your support hand in a different location when in the field. It's possible to be a bit off for your point of aim/impact.

At any rate, I always set up at the bench with the front sandbag in the same location as where I place my support hand when in the field. Consistency.
Old June 12, 2012, 04:24 PM   #29
chucknbach

Quote:
Ruger pretty much ignores the youth centerfire market .
Ruger Compact. Not marketed for youth but a youth rifle nontheless. Seems Ruger is more scared of lawyers than the rest.
Old June 18, 2012, 12:41 AM   #30
Cool Breeze

I don't think ruger is any more skeered than anyone else.........

here's that savage I ordered........I put 15 rounds through it. All was well except:

it would not eject properly. It would pull the spent cartridge from the chamber and then lay it on top of the next round to jam if I did not tip the rifle over on it's side and "dump" the spent cartridge before chambering the next round.........so back to the smith tomorrow.......but it's pretty nice except for that.........I think it's a faulty ejector clip (I hope)........
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P6150072.JPG (57.4 KB, 120 views)
File Type: jpg P6150075.JPG (61.4 KB, 108 views)
File Type: jpg P6150078.JPG (67.0 KB, 106 views)
Old June 20, 2012, 09:54 PM   #31
SteelChickenShooter

I saw an earlier question about triggers on some of these lower cost rifles. I can't complain about the trigger on my Vanguard series 2. I know what a harsh, creepy trigger feels like. I don't see that with my rifle. It seems to be crisp, smooth and very light. Evaluating hole placement downrange, I have no need or incentive to improve anything.
Old June 23, 2012, 12:58 PM   #32
Metal god

longer range shots

Just got back from the range . I was able to reach out a bit today. We had targets set at 100 , 200 , and 300 Yards . At 300 yds I had a sting of 3 1/2 " . Thats just over 1 MOA and im OK with that . Im not the best shooter and I beleave the gun can shoot better then 1 MOA at 300 yds. The gun out shoots me right now . Soon I hope to out shoot the gun .

Some say if I had better glass I would shoot better . Like I said Im using a tasco wold class 3-9x40 and I like it . I would love to put a $500 to $1,000 scope on it and see if I or the gun shoots any better .

Bottom line the gun is worth the money
Old June 23, 2012, 07:25 PM   #33
StaTiK

Don't think that buying better glass will shrink your groups because if you're getting roughly 1MOA, it probably will not.

Buying a more expensive scope gives you better optical clarity, warranty, and durability (among other things). A $1000 scope won't make your 1MOA rifle into a 1/2 MOA rifle.

Look around and you'll hear funny stories of the thousand ways cheap scopes can crap out on you. It happened to me one time; I actually broke off the vertical cross hair in one of my scopes... you'd think I would learn my lesson.

-StaTiK-
Old June 23, 2012, 11:51 PM   #34
twins

Quote:
Don't think that buying better glass will shrink your groups because if you're getting roughly 1MOA, it probably will not.
If you can afford better glass and mount/rings, give it a try. It worked for me. My T/C Venture with cheap weaver rings and a leupold rifleman scope was upgraded to Burris Signature Zee rings and Zeiss Conquest scope and the group shrank from 1-1.5" to .55-.75" with same handloads. Not a big deal for a hunting rifle, but it does make a difference IMO.
Old June 24, 2012, 07:19 PM   #35
StaTiK

Quote:
If you can afford better glass and mount/rings, give it a try. It worked for me. My T/C Venture with cheap weaver rings and a leupold rifleman scope was upgraded to Burris Signature Zee rings and Zeiss Conquest scope and the group shrank from 1-1.5" to .55-.75" with same handloads. Not a big deal for a hunting rifle, but it does make a difference IMO.
then I'd say it was the rings and not the scope
-StaTiK-
Old June 24, 2012, 08:03 PM   #36
PawPaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by StaTiK
Look around and you'll hear funny stories of the thousand ways cheap scopes can crap out on you. It happened to me one time; I actually broke off the vertical cross hair in one of my scopes... you'd think I would learn my lesson.
I once had a crosshair turn into an X between shots. Still, I don't learn either. I very seldom pay more than $200.00 for a scope.

http://pawpawshouse.blogspot.com
Old August 2, 2012, 01:57 PM   #37
spd115

Great Gun

I just recently bought a Ruger American Rifle in .308. I own 2 Ruger M77 Mk2 one in .270 and one in .22-250. I am very impressed with the performance of this gun. For the money I dont think there is a better rifle for hunting. I can shoot half inch groups at 100 yards with this gun with a Nikon Prostaff 4-12x42. It isnt as smooth as the MK2's but shoots almost as tight of groups. For someone just wanting a rifle to hunt with and some balloon shooting at 300 yds its a great gun. I use burris Scopes on most of my guns, but on the Tasco subject i have a 3x9x50 Tasco World Class on a Remington mdl. 788 in .22-250 that has for years shot amazingly tight groups at very long ranges. There is nothing wrong with saving money and buying a tasco. Money is hard enough to come by now-a-days. I have shot the Savage Axis and cant say anything bad about it because it shot good as well. I wish the American rifle would come availiable in a .223 or a lighter varmint round.
Old August 4, 2012, 08:39 PM   #38
GaryOlson

Quote:
Ammo used was federal gold metal match 168 gran .A quarter could cover the group . ... we did notice that if the barrel started to get hot the accuracy droped off
I would test again with different ammo. I noticed the same effect with the exact same ammo only using a Tikka T3 stainless. I immediately followed up with my usual 150 grain soft points; accuracy of the rifle was still perfect. Switch back to Federal Premium Gold Metal 168 gr and accuracy was terrible again. Switch to some reloads from a local reloader, no problem with accuracy.

Gary
Old September 1, 2012, 06:20 AM   #39
J2.

Thanks for the review, this thread has helped me make up my mind. Must look into this rifle.
Old September 1, 2012, 08:15 AM   #40
hooligan1

Hey I finally got to pick one of those dudes up and it's light.. real light.... Fit me pretty nice, maybe next year I put one of these dudes in my guncase.
Old September 1, 2012, 09:14 AM   #41
FairWarning

Thanks for the review, good to hear it from the field.

It's always tempting to go after beautiful high $$$ rifles, but in truth, there are several "beginner" rifles that sling lead downrange just as well, although without the window dressing.
Old September 18, 2012, 04:01 PM   #42
Metal god

Not sure why the photo of my target was removed . Here it is again

Ruger American Rifle .308 , 168 gr Fed gold metal match at 100 yards

Center of impact to center of impact 3/4 MOA
Old September 18, 2012, 06:15 PM   #43
hooligan1

That's cool dude, is that Federal commercial ammo or handloaded?
Old September 18, 2012, 07:45 PM   #44
Metal god

commercial , bought them right off the shelf .
Old September 19, 2012, 03:49 AM   #45
hooligan1

That rifle likes those dudes for sure, if you handload start testing those bullets with different powders and weights, and come up with something tighter!! Dang good starting platform.
Old September 19, 2012, 09:10 AM   #46
Reloader 17

Has anyone used a 30-06 version of this rifle. I held one and it is definitely on the light side. I'm wondering how well the recoil pads work.
Old September 19, 2012, 01:12 PM   #47
Metal god

IMO , the recoil pad is one of the best stock from the factory pads out there . Its soft and very giving but not sloppy when you shoot .
Old September 21, 2012, 07:58 PM   #48
Reloader 17

Thanks for the info.
Old September 21, 2012, 08:23 PM   #49
publius

That's great to hear. Rifles have gotten so expensive, it's good to see a lower priced model performing up there with the more expensive models. Great first gun or truck gun.
Old September 22, 2012, 08:38 AM   #50
cornbush

I just put one on layaway for my wife and kids to use, .243 win. As soon as I pick it up I'll let you know how it shoots. $329.00 at my local Cal Ranch.