The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 15, 2011, 01:14 AM   #1
awbrock

22-250 Shoulder Bump or just neck size?

I'm in the process of reloading my first batch of 22-250's. Should I bump the shoulder back 0.001" - 0.002" or just neck size the fire formed brass?

The next question is: can I bump the shoulder back with a Hornady Full Length Sizing die without resizing all dimensions of the brass?

I have taken the headspace measurements and used the modified case to accuire the OAL of my chamber to the bullets ogive. I'm a novice when it comes to these operations.

My first try in my 30-06 ended with a stuck bullet and a chamber full of powder. I went for what I thought was 0.010" back from the lands, it has been a while since the initial failure, I corrected by backing off 0.015" more. Is 0.025" playing it too safe?

I can't remember how far I bumped the shoulder back on the 30-06 or if I did at all.

Thanks,
AWB
Old January 15, 2011, 09:11 AM   #2
highvel

I just neck size for mine and never had any issues .
For checking the O.A.L. I use a small rod and two drill collars to measure, there was a post a few months ago on how to do it; it's very simple and easy!
Once I found the load then the OAL, my gun liked; it shot like a different gun.

"I have opinions of my own 'strong opinions' but I don't always agree with them."--George Bush
Old January 15, 2011, 09:37 AM   #3
wncchester

"Should I bump the shoulder back 0.001" - 0.002"

There is never a need to "bump" a shoulder back for a bolt rifle, the case has already shrunk back a thou or more from fired length. Just restore and maintain the fired shoulder location. You are likely to find trying to bump with a consistant accuracy of 1-2 thou to be virtually impossible anyway, just make sure the longest resized length doesn't exceed the fired length.

"or (should I) just neck size the fire formed brass?"

There is no "should" to it, depends on what you want to do and why. A lot of noise is made about the "accuracy" of fire formed cases but neck sizing rarely helps much with case life or accuracy in factory rifles. But ... sometimes? Try it both ways and see.

"can I bump the shoulder back with a Hornady Full Length Sizing die without resizing all dimensions of the brass?"

No. Doing that with an FL is FL sizing and that's what FL dies do. Body, or "bump" dies are simply FL dies that don't affect the necks.

Last edited by wncchester; January 15, 2011 at 09:43 AM.
Old January 16, 2011, 08:46 AM   #4
furtaker

I necksize only (lee collet die) untill the brass becomes a little tough to extract from the chamber, usually 3-4 firings and then I full length resize. I also anneal my brass (Norma) every other firing. I have reloaded for 4 Rem. 700 in 22-250 and 2 Savages in 22-250, and have found that none of them liked to be seated close to the lands, yours may be different! As far as your AOL goes, if you are measuring your loads to the ogive you should not be sticking them unless you have one of your measurements wrong.
Old January 16, 2011, 05:53 PM   #5
Scorch

Just necksize the first couple of times, at least until the bolt gets too hard to close, then you may have to bump the shoulder back a couple of thousandths. When you necksize 22-250 (or any other high-intensity cartridge), it will increase case dimensions a very small bit each time you fire the case. After 3 or so reloadings (depending on your loads), you may need to bump the shoulder back in order to close the bolt.
Old January 16, 2011, 06:05 PM   #6
Wildalaska

I have yet to have to bump a shoulder in a neck sized 6.5x55 or 308.

Wildandihavegottenasmanyas16firingsoutofacaseAlaska ™©2002-2011
Old February 6, 2011, 02:30 PM   #7
wolferman

22-250 loads

Recently purchased a Winchester, Coyote Light, Model 70, 22-250 (1-14 twist). I put a very nice Varmint Leupold scope on it. I bought two boxes of Commercial Ammo: Winchester 55gr pointed softpoint and Hornady 'Varmint Express' 55gr V-Max. Both choices produced exceptional grouping results at both 200 and 300 yards. I was very excited to load the once-fired brass with 32.7 gr of Varget with 55gr V-Max and take it back to the range.

Well, one thing I can tell you is that I need a GOOD reliable load at this point. I know what the rifle is capable of and I will not be denied. Looking for something middle of the road to semi-hot for a 22-250. (I never load maximum loads - especially for a 22-250) I want to be able to use the rifle past 1000 rounds and conserve the barrel somewhat. Any good news out there?

Loader is the Dillon XL650 - I love it.

Wolfeman.
Old February 7, 2011, 01:37 AM   #8
Win_94

If I start with brand new cases, I full length size and trim them.

After that I neck size only; unless I have hot loads starting to get hard to chamber, then I'll full length size them.