The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old June 28, 2010, 03:41 PM   #1
Sig_Dude

Will Smith and Wesson PC make me cylinders?

I have a Smith 686P, my FAVORITE gun bar none, chambered in .357/.38 for those not familiar with the S/W nomenclature.

I'm sending it in to the performance center to have a few things done:

1. reduce barrel/cylinder gap to .003" (currently it's .010")
2. chamfer the seven charge holes (I have never really been able to get used to that number, 7)
3. bead blast to a beautiful and classy satin stainless (LOVE that look)
4. *possibly* take the barrel down to 5", which is the perfect 686 length, IMHO.

Now here's the question part of my question:

I was also thinking about asking them to make me a dedicated .38 special cylinder for it, as well as a 9mm cylinder, and maybe even go nuts and have a .357 cylinder done with no weight reduction/relief cuts, i.e. a simple built like a tank round cylinder.

note: OK I know that shooting .38 through a .357 barrel is fine if you keep up with the ring of funk in the charge holes, but, I'm kinda anal (see my post about clean burning powders) and besides the cleanliness wouldn't mind having a chamber spec'd for .38, which is 95% of what I shoot.

Has anybody ever had Smith and Wesson do cylinder work for them...will they even do it? If not, who's the next best outfit in line? Thanks!
Old June 28, 2010, 03:54 PM   #2
oneounceload

No personal knowledge, but Cylinder and Slide seem to get VERY high marks on their workmanship (seems to be true as their lead time is 6 months or more)
Old June 28, 2010, 04:33 PM   #3
laytonj1

Call them and ask...

Smith & Wesson
By Email: [email protected]

By Telephone:
1-800-331-0852 (USA)
Mon-Fri 8:00AM-8:00PM Eastern Time

Jim
Old June 28, 2010, 09:31 PM   #4
drail

I would be very surprised if they would unless you want to order a couple of hundred.
Old June 29, 2010, 11:06 AM   #5
melchloboo

Try here:
http://www.pinnacle-guns.com/revolver.asp
Old June 29, 2010, 11:55 AM   #6
James K
Member In Memoriam

I am sure you know what you want, but I would not reduce the b/c gap that much. You could run into a problem with the cylinder heating and binding if you do any rapid fire. I consider a b/c gap of .006"-.007" to be optimal.

Jim
Old June 29, 2010, 01:35 PM   #7
jbaldwin

A lot of guys that shoot Dan Wesson's set the b/c gap to .002 or .003 but have to keep the cylinder face clean to prevent binding.

I had S&W do some work and I would expect them to do what you are asking for a price.

The non-fluted cylinders look very cool. Seems like I have seen some S&W with them. Below is a picture of my DW with a non-fluted cylinder.

Old June 29, 2010, 03:12 PM   #8
Malamute

The non fluted cylinders arent really any stronger, the thin spot is the sidewall. On a gun with an even number of chambers, the locking bolt slot is the weak link, on odd numbered cylinders, the bolt cut is offset between the chambers, but the sidewall is still the thinnest spot, no matter whether it has flutes or not.

I think 5" gun would be nice. 6''ers seem unhandy to carry to me.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." -Theodore Roosevelt-
Old June 29, 2010, 03:39 PM   #9
Sig_Dude

Does Dan Wesson, through CZ, still sell new revolvers?
Old June 30, 2010, 09:51 AM   #10
jbaldwin

Dan Wesson is not currently making revolvers but I have exchanged messages with them and they will hopefully bring revolvers back to market next year. We have created a petition on the Dan Wesson Forum that will be sent to CZ-USA which owns Dan Wesson next week.

For anyone interested in signing the petition here is a link.

As Malamute said I don't believe the non-fluted cylinders are any stronger but they are pretty cool looking. And I also like the 5" barrel lengths as well. If you contact S&W let us know what their response is.

Jody
Old June 30, 2010, 10:11 AM   #11
JackL

Thanks for the petition link. Oh, and nice forum! I always wanted a DW revolver, and if they bring 'em back I'll be all over it.

A wrong note played timidly is a mistake. A wrong note played boldly is an interpretation.
Old June 30, 2010, 05:50 PM   #12
WC145

No, they won't make you a cylinder. Nor will they sell you a blank.

However -

You can purchase a S&W 242 cylinder (titanium, 7 shot, .38 spl) from Numrich Arms and have it fitted to your gun.

You can see if S&W as a non-fluted .357 cylinder sitting around that they'll sell you. There's a good chance of that sicne they've made 686's with smooth cylinders before. Also, check Numrich Arms for that one too, they may have something.

You can have your existing cylinder rechambered to 9x23 and shoot 9mm (w/moonclips) but no more shooting .357/.38's through it.

You can search the interweb for a company whose name I can't recall that I recently saw is offering to cut custom cylinders for something like $400 for one. If I see the blurb again, I'll post the info.
Old June 30, 2010, 09:01 PM   #13
Gonzo_308

Somebody, I dont remember who, said that you lose some accuracy shooting 9mm out of a 357 bbl. I'm not sure this is the case or how much accuracy is lost but I remember hearing it from a gunsmith that did/does conversions.

I'll see if I can dig through my desk and find his name again.
Old July 1, 2010, 12:23 AM   #14
laytonj1

Quote:
Somebody, I dont remember who, said that you lose some accuracy shooting 9mm out of a 357 bbl.
Generally, but not always. 9mm = .355 vs .357 so it's .002 undersized which is not optimum for accuracy.

Jim
Old July 1, 2010, 08:28 AM   #15
Jim Watson

A .355" bullet loaded into .38 Special brass sized down enough to hold it will shoot pretty well in a .357" barrel.

But if you rechamber a .357 cylinder to 9mm, the long jump through the .54" left of the original .357 chamber will hurt ballistics and accuracy. Another board had some chrono figures. As I recall, a 9mm shot out of a converted .38 Special was at lower velocity than standard... but still more than a light bullet .38 Special.

Hamilton Bowen is making cylinders to convert S&W revolvers to things like .327 Ruger. Maybe he would build you one for 9mm, but it won't be cheap.

Or you could try this outfit:
FAMCO Inc. will custom manufacture any cylinder, in any caliber listed in the S.A.A.M.I. spec, for any revolver (provided cylinder caliber matches barrel).
http://floridaarms.com/catalog/custom-cylinders.php

Last edited by Jim Watson; July 1, 2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old July 1, 2010, 08:37 AM   #16
WC145

Quote:
Somebody, I dont remember who, said that you lose some accuracy shooting 9mm out of a 357 bbl.
I haven't seen any appreciable loss in accuracy from my rechambered 360J.
Old July 4, 2010, 12:32 PM   #17
CarbineCaleb

Quote:
Originally Posted by melchloboo
Yep, that guy seems to know a good deal about cylinder modifications.
Old July 5, 2010, 11:27 AM   #18
kraigwy

Smith and Wesson will make you another cylender.

I had a Model 25 in 45 ACP that I sent back to Smith and had them make a 45 LC cylender. It worked great.

I modified the display box for the extra cylender and it really looked nice.

The only problem some dumb a$$ traded it, which he regretted every since. I traded a Model 547 at the same time.

That idiotic trade was what convenced me I'll never trade or sell another gun as long as I live.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 5, 2010, 04:29 PM   #19
WC145

Quote:
Smith and Wesson will make you another cylender.

I had a Model 25 in 45 ACP that I sent back to Smith and had them make a 45 LC cylender. It worked great.
Model 25's have been produced in .45LC, all they had to do was take an existing .45LC cylinder out of stock and fit it to your gun. That's a totally different job than making one cylinder to someone's specs in a caliber they've never offered that gun in.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old July 5, 2010, 09:38 PM   #20
Gonzo_308

I remember who it was now. The guy from Moonclips.com TK customs.
http://www.moonclips.com He will recess your cylinder for moonclips. I asked him about the possibility of machining my Scandium gun to use 9mm. He told me he would but I wouldn't be happy with the results.

Call him yourself and ask him.
Old July 5, 2010, 10:43 PM   #21
KMG5402

Will Smith... pshh. Yyyeah