The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 18, 2009, 04:12 AM   #1
ormandj

30'06, 185 Berger VLD - anybody done this?

Hi,

I'm looking at the Berger 185gr VLD (hunting and target) for my 30-06. I've got a 24" 1:10" twist barrel. I'm looking at these due to the relatively high BC (.560 for the target, .549 for the hunting)) vs the 168gr at .473 and .515/.498 for the 175gr. It seems to me that with the added BC, the downrange performance will still be better even with the velocity hit. If I'm mistaken, do let me know - I don't have access to a ballistics calculator. What kind of velocities am I looking at with the 185gr bullets, keeping in mind my barrel length/twist rate?

I was actually considering moving to 6.5mm, until I realized I'm not as limited with 30'06 as I would have been with .308, since I can run the heavier bullets which do approach the BCs of the slippery 6.5mm bullets (which get up to ~.600 @ 140gr). You can typically push these up to 2800-3000fps in the longer cases (such as 6.5x55 in a modern rifle).

Is anybody using this combination? If so - what powder are you using? I've got a few dozen reloading manuals at home, and will (of course) start low and gradually build up, but some insight into what works well for people already will help me pick the powders to purchase to experiment with.

Thank you!
David