The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 16, 2009, 03:18 PM   #1
togojeff

25-06 60 Gr SP Loads?

Any body have some recipes?
I just acquired a few hundred .257 Speer 60 Gr SP's and the only thing I have to load them for are the 25-06.
Old March 16, 2009, 09:47 PM   #2
saudst

Reduced loads?

Togojeff.

I have a 25/06 Rem. and am prety sure the bullet you are talking about is designed for the 256 Winchester mag., 256 Rem jet ect. which don't get much past 2600-2800 fps. in velocity. Reduced loads could work, depending on what your looking for.

The reason I responded to this question is about a time I was at a shooting range where there was a guy haveing trouble grouping his 22-250. When I watched him shoot on this humid morning, you could actualy see a nickle sized vapor trail go down range half way to the target. When we inquired about his reloads, we found out he used a 40gr. bullet, if I remember right, it was called a "semi pointed soft point", designed for the 22 Hornet. Probably around 4200fps. right?

My ground hog load for mine is H4831SC with a 75gr. V-max at just under 3800fps. from a 27" barrel. I would guess you could push that 60gr. close to that, but I would not do it because of what I saw that day at the range. I could see how reduced loads, around 2800fps could be utilized, but I can't find any data for that weight.

Tim.