The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 20, 2009, 04:20 PM   #1
kraigwy

Barrel Liners

We all know that they make barrel liners to reline 22 barrels but does anyone know of a place that makes/sells barrel liners for 45s. I want one about 20-26 inches for a project I'm building.

Thanks
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 20, 2009, 06:24 PM   #2
Tom2

www.redmansrifling.com is the closest thing I can think of, and I think he stops at 44 cal. liners. Well maybe if you don't get any other answers he can put you onto someone who does long liners in 45. Or I don't know if he does any custom work or not. I have sent him a couple of Winchesters, a 73 and a 92, to be relined in smaller centerfire calibers. They do good work so if you can get what you want from him, that will be worth it. Otherwise what kind of barrel are you working on? Smaller than 45? It could be bored out and rerifled.
Old January 20, 2009, 06:27 PM   #3
Scorch

Yes, there are makers that make barrel liners for all rifle calibers. What bore diameter and what groove diameter? Are you equipped to install them yourself or would you rather have them installed for you? PM me if you would like more info. Try the link to Taylor Machine in my signature.
Old January 20, 2009, 07:52 PM   #4
kraigwy

Quote:
Otherwise what kind of barrel are you working on? Smaller than 45? It could be bored out and rerifled.
I have an older single shot 410 shotgun. It has a pretty heavy barrel and action. My intention is to bore it out to accept a sleeve and make either a 45 ACP or long colt, using normal loads. I'm hoping to keep the barrel at least 22 inches go give me a dicent sight radius using iron sights. I haven't figured out the extractor yet to fit the 45 ACP which woud be my first choice. If I cant get the extractor figured out, I'll just go with the long colt.

Regarding the diameter, any 45 will do (451 -454) as I will be using cast bullets and can get the mold based on the liner diameter. Twist would be for the 230-250 gr bullets.

Mr Taylor:

If you can help, please let me know, if I cant find a liner I'll have to buy a barrel blank and turn it down, I'd rather not go that route if I dont have to.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old January 21, 2009, 12:46 PM   #5
Scorch

kraigwy-
I am not John Taylor, but you can call him at 253-445-4073 and discuss your project with him.