The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old July 10, 2008, 07:32 PM   #1
Doyle

Need help finding rings - Savage 24F-12T

I just picked up a Savage 24F-12T. This particular model was only manufactured from 1989 until the mid 90's. The model 24V during that time had the same type of mounting hardware. I need to find a scope mounting system for it. I'm especially in need of a see-thru type becuase the Savage barrels were notorious for mis-regulation (i.e. each barrel hits to a different point of aim).

Anyhow, this particular model has a funky little metal stip about 4" long 1/2" wide and almost 1/4" high permanently attached to the top barrel. It has 3 threaded holes in it for a scope mount.

To see a picture you can look at http://www.savage24.com/ in the links secion go to Savage 24 Photographs, then Catalogs, then open the 1990 catalog. Sorry, but I can't link directly there because they have that kind of website that doesn't change the URL as you scroll through the pages.

Any help with a mount/rings would be appreciated.
Old July 11, 2008, 01:13 AM   #2
Cowart

Quote:
I can't link directly there because they have that kind of website that doesn't change the URL as you scroll through the pages
You can simply link to the address of the picture itself. It is found under properties. Sample:
http://www.cylindersmith.com/savage2.../1980page1.jpg
Old July 11, 2008, 07:11 AM   #3
Doyle

Thanks. That picture is the 24V model. I think all the metal is the same as mine - just the stock is different.

I sure wish I knew who makes that scope mount. Of course, Savage is no help because they refuse to assist with any firearm manufactured before 1995.
Old July 11, 2008, 08:16 AM   #4
thallub

I have the 24F in 20 gauge over .22 Hornet. Do not think that anyone makes see through mounts for the 24F. Weaver makes a standard mount and that is what is on mine. Both barrels on my gun shoot to the same point of aim. You should try the standard mount, you might luck out.

The Weaver mount number is 74.

http://glarp.atk.com/2008/2008_Catal...verCatalog.pdf
Old July 11, 2008, 09:39 AM   #5
Doyle

Thanks Thallub. I had pretty much come to the same conclusion - that I was going to have to use the generic #74 base. I can stick see-thru rings on that base, but I may be up so high at that point that the base is hiding the rear sight.
Old July 16, 2008, 08:58 AM   #6
oldergent

Savage 24 see thru scope mount

Not sure if you are familiar with the old Marble Game Getter scope mount. I have one that is marked SA 24 which I am sure is for a Savage 24. It is a see thru one piece mount, but I'm not sure if the holes are drilled correctly to fit your firearm.