The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 27, 2007, 05:06 PM   #1
Sgt.Fathead

.44 Question from .357 Guy

This is a two stage question, folks:

1) I just got a NIB New Model Super Blackhawk .44 Magnum and so bought some American Eagle .44 Magnum SJSPs and then wanted some .44 Specials. Kid at the ammo counter of the local shop said they didn't have and specials and then I noticed two boxes labeled "S&W .44 Special". Kid said they were not the same as .44 Specials and being both confused and in a hurry, left.

Poking around on the internet, I see that the .44 Magnum was [I]created from![I]this S&W .44 Special....damn. So, I can use them in my S/Blackhawk, right?

I am a former Marine and have zero experience with any handgun cartridge beyond .45 ACP but what I've gained by reading and asking. Pity the poor 0331!

2) I have had it and am going to post another thread entitled:

How Do I Get Started Reloading?
Old December 27, 2007, 05:34 PM   #2
Edward429451

1) You are correct, 44 S&W Special will work in your gun and very nicely.

2) Correct again, 44 Special & Mag are wonderful cartridges to reload for. You couldn't have asked for a more versatile cartridge to load for.

3) BEWARE THE RISK OF HANDLOADING ANY 44's!!! It will turn you into a boolit caster when you realize how much money you can save, and how well lead boolits perform in 44's. It's like the 44's were made for lead. In order to gain maximum versatility from the 44 you just gotta shoot lead...
Old December 27, 2007, 05:43 PM   #3
SIGSHR

How do you get started in reloading?
1. Find an experienced relaoder willing to tutor you, go over it with you step
by step.
2. Do like most of us have probably done, teach yourself. In my case I bought the Lyman Manual in 1972 and read it, read it, READ It until I had practically memorized it and even then I did not reload my first round until 1975 using a Lee Loader on our old kitchen table. And yes, I did set off a primer-not in a loader round, fortunately. The first few chapters of the Lyman
manual covered starting in reloading, what equipment you need, how to set it
up, the mechanics, the step by step procedures, etc. I recommend getting
several books, the ones put out by the manufacturers of reloading equipment-Lyman, RCBS, etc., naturally feature their products, the ones put out by the
bullet manufacturers-Speer, e.g. feature their products, the ones put out by the powder makers feature their products.
Reloading is a lot like cooking or baking. Once you assemble your equipment
and ingredients-components-you then follow the directions TO THE LETTER
and don't even think of deviating or experimenting until you have mastered the basics. I recommend starting with the basics-38 Special target loads was
what I first loaded, stick to light loads, in the beginning you want to master
the mechanics, the procedures and not worry about things like maximum loads, etc.
Old December 28, 2007, 02:41 PM   #4
Sgt.Fathead

Thanks very, very much! I'm investigating reloading right now by reading a few books, including the Speer manual, and talking with reloaders, too.

Thanks also for the .44 Mag, .44 Special clarification!
Old December 28, 2007, 03:03 PM   #5
bigbird34

44 mag reloading

Reloading for a 44 mag is pretty simple ,it's a straight wall case ,you'd need to buy a 3 die set,one to resize and deprime,one to flange,and one to set the bullet ,buy a carbide set and you won't need to lube the brass (saves a step or two).....I have a S&W model 29 in a 6" barrel,I will load some 44 Special loads for those of my friends who don't like the punishment of a full magnum load ......for what you pay for a box of 44 mag,it will take you no time at all to get a good return on your investment by reloading ....my 2 pennies ,BB34
Old December 29, 2007, 03:07 AM   #6
moose fat

The stickies at the top are good also.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:06 PM   #7
tonelar

CAS got me into reloading. But my 44 Winchester and BountyHunter got me into CAS.

You're in for a treat, friend. If you shoot enough specials through your pistol, be sure and get the residue off your chambers before loading the magnums again. Could spike your pressures.
Old December 29, 2007, 09:44 PM   #8
Sgt.Fathead

Have been watching many reloading videos via YouTube, reading some manuals; off I go to the library. Thanks much to all for the info!
Old December 29, 2007, 10:44 PM   #9
Linear Thinker

Sarge,
Be careful with YouTube videos, or any other Internet advise, excluding mine

SIGSHR's advise is excellent - find a reloading tutor. If you don't know any reloaders, you can readily find them at any public range. They are easily identifiable by one or more of the following:

1. Have a chronograph
2. Hunt for the brass at every cease-fire
3. Keep their ammo in plastic hinge-top boxes.

Chat them up, ask for a lesson, offer a bribe if necessary (half-case of beer works wonders).
This will greatly decrease your learning curve.
Good luck,
LT

Last edited by Linear Thinker; December 29, 2007 at 11:17 PM.
Old December 30, 2007, 04:05 AM   #10
tonelar

cowboy loads in 44 magnum

oh, before I forget...

yes, there are alot of cowboy loads for this cartridge.