Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 16, 2007, 08:44 PM   #1
Mtschust

Galco

What do you guys think about this deal?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...MEBI:IT&ih=014
Old February 17, 2007, 12:19 AM   #2
liliysdad

I think for about 50 more bucks, you can have a decent holster made by a person as opposed to a company.
Old February 17, 2007, 05:19 PM   #3
ShipWreck

I have used Galco Fletch holsters for years - I like them a lot - and the Miami Classic.

That doesn't interest me, though...
Old February 17, 2007, 07:54 PM   #4
dairycreek

Galco makes decent holsters. The model shown would now cost between $60 and $70 new (if it is still made). There is just not much of a market for used holsters and it is my impression that if the seller can get the $51 currently bid he/she will be doing well. Question is, do you really want that holster. If you do want that holster - go ahead and bid. Personally, I think you can do much better elsewhere.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old February 18, 2007, 01:41 AM   #5
Mtschust

Glock 19

I lost the bid. I am trying to find a good belt and holster for a glock 19 but Milt sparks would cost me over 200 dollars. And the wait time would be about 3 months or more.
Old February 19, 2007, 06:57 PM   #6
roadrash

Good things come to those who wait!If that was a MS SS selling on Ebay it would of sold for more than the cost of a new one.A SS2 in horsehide is only about $30 more than that galco sold for.A summer special in cowhide is only $19 more than that Galco sold for!That Galco did not include a belt, so why include the cost of belt in your MS-Galco comparison?And the wait for the MS will probably be about five months ordering it direct(but worth it)
Old February 19, 2007, 07:38 PM   #7
liliysdad

There are a lot of holstermakers that do not charge what Sparks, Alessi, and Kramer do, but still yield a fine product. I have a Ranger Gunleather IWB, for example, that cost well under 100 dollars. Great holster, and handmade. Tucker offers nice rigs, as does Nate at UBG Holsters. Do some shopping, and find a person to make you a holster, not an assembly line.
Old February 20, 2007, 02:15 AM   #8
scsov509

I have that same holster in horsehidefor my Glock 23, and I'm really quite amazed at how well it's held up the last 8 years as much as it's been carried. One thing I really love about that particular holster is that it has a metal insert stiched into the top which keeps the holster open when a weapon is drawing making it easy to reholster.

That being said though, I own a number of different holsters including a few other Galco models. There's no denying that they make a quality product, but I don't think their necessarily worth the extra few dollars just to own a Galco. And honestly, I've got a few other holsters that are nicer that ultimately cost me less.

One company I've been pretty impressed with is High Noon Leather. They make a really quality product that I think is every bit as good as Galco or any other company, and I've really come to like their products. Over the past few years I've started running out of extra room in my pants to carry IWB so I've gone to belt carry. I picked up a High Noon Topless because I liked how high up on my belt it rides, and it has turned out to be by far one of the best holsters I've ever owned.
Old February 20, 2007, 02:42 AM   #9
Mtschust

same problem

I have the same problem in regards to room for an IWB. What kind of belt holster do you like that conceals easily?
Old February 20, 2007, 04:37 AM   #10
scsov509

Like I mentioned earlier, my primary belt rig for my Glock 23 is the High Noon Topless model holster. It is a pancake style that breaks up the profile of the gun pretty well, but what I like most about it is that it rides extremely high on the belt which prevents any muzzle protrusion. This is an especially important consideration for me because I dress somewhat formal on a daily basis, so the higher ride enables me to conceal very well with a sweater or something along those lines that isn't all that long in the body.

I have a few Galco belt rigs, but most of them seem to ride too low for my taste. I have a Bianchi Black Widow for my 23 also (open muzzle belt slide style holster) but it rides too low for my comfort, plus it has a thumb break which I don't prefer in a concealed holster. I have a Bianchi Shadow (3 slot pancake with a thumb break) for my Glock 22, but I don't carry that gun much from day to day because I just have a harder time concealing the bigger frame.

Mostly you've just got to check out as many as possible until you find what you're looking for. In my case, High Noon sold me because of the higher ride position which was important to me.
Old February 22, 2007, 09:29 AM   #11
Rinspeed

I like Galco holsters and have two or three of them. I don't think I would buy a new one for what they are asking. I also have a couple holsters from Lou Alessi and and a couple Milt Sparks. There is no comparison. The Galco hollsters are good while those from Lou or Tony are outstanding.