The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old April 22, 2002, 03:45 PM   #1
22lovr

Traveling by car with a handgun

Before I get started, if I am being redundant, just give me a website or otherwise tell me where to start looking for info on this....................

My son and daughter-in-law are traveling by car from Georgia to Washington State and will be passing through Al, MS, TX, NM, AZ, CA, OR, ID, UT, etc, etc. He wants to bring along his H&K .40 cal USP compact for defense, for obvious reasons.

Is there a legal way to transport this weapon through all of these states and still have the gun be operational for self-defense?

Thanks in advance for your info.........................
Old April 22, 2002, 05:33 PM   #2
Drizzt

I would start by looking here:
packing.org .

I know that, when I drove from TX to TN, I planned my route carefully. I knew that my CHL was valid in AR and TN, so I stayed in those states. I also know that MS tends to be pretty intolerant of anyone from out of state having any sort of weapon anywhere around them while traveling through the state.

Packing.org generally will list the official websites for each state, so that you can get the "official" word, but as always, the laws can often vary according to who is doing the interpretation.

Regardless of the laws in the particular state, don't flaunt it, and you'll probably be allright.
"That a free citizen should have to go before a committee, hat in hand, and pray for permission to bear arms - fantastic! Arm your daughter, sir, and pay no attention to petty bureaucrats." Robert Heinlein - Red Planet
Old April 22, 2002, 07:12 PM   #3
The Reaper

The simple answer to legally transporting a firearm by car on this entire trip while having it available for self defense, is NO!!!
Old April 22, 2002, 09:10 PM   #4
Jim March

Avoid California!

If it's not locked, unloaded, ammo stored separately and not accessable to the occupants, it's an illegal carry bust.

I think many of the others, you'll be OK. TX and AZ, for sure.
Old April 22, 2002, 10:04 PM   #5
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Colorado's good to go - no mention of state resident, etc.

"18-12-105 - Unlawfully carrying a concealed weapon - unlawful possession of weapons.

(1) A person commits a class 2 misdemeanor if such person knowingly and unlawfully:

<some snippage>

(b) Carries a firearm concealed on or about his or her person; or

<some more>

(2) It shall not be an offense if the defendant was:

<more>

(b) A person in a private automobile or other private means of conveyance who carries a weapon for lawful protection of such person's or another's person or property while traveling; ... "
Old April 23, 2002, 09:12 AM   #6
treeprof

Get a copy of the traveler's Guide to the firearm Laws of the 50 States". It's updated annually, and is very useful. I travel quite a bit, and always have a copy with me. ou can buy it at Cheaper Than Dirt:

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ctd/p...1AD61TCGJXFWVF

And various other places (Dillon, Paladin Press, etc.)
Old April 23, 2002, 09:40 AM   #7
coati

http://www.gunlaws.com/index.htm

This site has some links but isn't complete. I added it because Alan Korwin, in the Virginia edition of his gun law books, bemoans the fact that there is no "National Right to Carry." He pretty much says what The Reaper said: legally, no.
Old April 23, 2002, 11:32 AM   #8
Will Beararms

Let's see. Hmmm. Do travel travel with my family in today's America on remote highways at odd hours unprotected or protected? Gee. I can't make up my mind.