The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 29, 2013, 05:25 PM   #1
Recoiljunky

tang apature on a hunting shotgun?

I got to thinking again . What are your thoughts on putting a tang mounted peep or creedmoor style sight on my mossberg 535 28" for use with slugs when deer or hog hunting and being able to to fold it down to have and un obstructed veiw for bird. Have any of you done this? Is it adviseable?
I was thinking about one of these
http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...126-48440.aspx

Thankyou
Old March 29, 2013, 06:49 PM   #2
Pahoo

May not the best way to skin this cat??

Your call but personally, I would advise against it. I can think of more than one reason why it's not a good idea or safe. I could be wrong but I think you are trying to meet too many requirements....

As an option, have you thought about a RedDot? I have mounted RedDots on more than one shotgun, with good results. I have even taken pheasants with one, before they all moves to South Dakota. Once your eye and minds, get used to a RedDot, it will surprise you how well you can shoot with one. ...

Be Safe !!!
Old March 29, 2013, 07:57 PM   #3
PetahW

"YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT WITH THAT THING"

Seriously, while peep sights are best used as close as possible to the eye, and the tang peep sight the closest of all, it's not a good idea on a long gun that has a lot of comeback, as it makes the possibility of eye damage a reality.

IMO, you'd be better off mounting a reflex sight on a low Weaver base for slugs/deer, and QD it for bird hunting.

Old April 3, 2013, 01:44 AM   #4
RMcL

Test your shotgun with several brands of slugs usiing your vent rib and bead.
If the ammo POI and your POA intersect - that is all you need. Your eye will naturally center that bead on a flat sight picture!
Old April 3, 2013, 05:54 AM   #5
drcook

those are an entry-level version of a precision long range sight. they are designed to be used with a front aperture sight. they are for BPCR (black powder cartridge rifles or sometimes SPCR [smokeless cartridge powder rifles]) that are used for long range shooting.

try one of these (not advocating the business just point out the product)

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/36493

that way you can scope the shotgun for 4 legged critters bigger than a rabbit and remove it for rabbits/birds/etc

here in Ohio we are only allowed to hunt deer with shotguns and I have used a saddle mount on a shotgun before. as far as a scope, all you really need is a
1.75 x 4 x 32. A scope like that will give you a little more light gathering ability at dusk and dawn and will do what you need.

such as this

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/699...-reticle-matte
Old April 4, 2013, 05:57 PM   #6
Recoiljunky

than you for your feedback.

pahoo: i have thought about useing a redot in the past but i dont want to relie on electronics to work during the hunt.

petahW:lol it probrobly would put my eye out.

RMcL: the rib does center it for windage but not so much elevation and im dont find myself skilled enough to take game ethicly at more than 35 yards with just the rib.

drcook: i dont like to hunt with glass being that most of florida hunting is in thick brush and lake beds rarely exceed 100 yards. so a extreemly quick way to sight is neccecary.
Old April 4, 2013, 06:59 PM   #7
Pahoo

Trust and give yourself more credit.

Quote:
pahoo: i have thought about useing a redot in the past but i dont want to relie on electronics to work during the hunt.
As far as electronics, there really isn't much of that, in there. The biggest problem you will "eventually" run into, is a dead battery. Depending on service, that can take several weeks, to several months. I still have some in service for over three years now. You have to remember to turn the power off and in critical hunting, take a spare. It's almost amazing how well your eyes, mind and the Dot, learn to work together. ....

Trust in Allah but tie your camel ....

Your call and;
Be Safe !!!
Old April 4, 2013, 08:47 PM   #8
barnbwt

Quote:
Seriously, while peep sights are best used as close as possible to the eye, and the tang peep sight the closest of all, it's not a good idea on a long gun that has a lot of comeback, as it makes the possibility of eye damage a reality.
--But, but, but Quigley...

Yeah, I know, just a movie...but how do those tang sights on 50-90s and whatnot not smack you in the eye? (honest question, I'm building a 50 Alaskan bolt action ) I recall the one in the movie was removed when not used, but surely (surely) they've developed a way to lock the things open when deployed???

TCB
Old April 5, 2013, 05:42 PM   #9
drcook

they do pivot, they also tend to pivot under recoil so the gun and you are running away from the sight.

it is just physics, remember the law "a body in motion tends to stay in motion and a body at rest tends to stay at rest"

the mass of the sight doesn't want to get moving so as the gun recoils the sight is actually moving towards the front of the gun.

that is unless you buy a cheap/junk one that locks up solid.

I have never been wacked by any of the sights even shooting my 45-110's (which is what Quigley shot)

and yes they are that accurate, maybe not offhand that is a stretch (but I am sure there is someone who can shoot that good). fundamentally there are lots of bolt actions that aspire to the degree of accuracy possible

they are not NOT hunting sights though