The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 31, 2012, 02:12 PM   #1
ktmbigfan

P-95 failer to feed failer to eject.

Have a new P95 stainless that won't eject most of the time and if it does
it usually won't feed a new round. 3 differant brands of 9mm and 4 differant
magazines. A cheap ammo and all new factory magazines.

I've had new autos and I know they can be a little fussy at first especially
with the super cheap ammo but this thing was rediculouse.

I should mention some times the slide is almost impossible to pull back like
it's hung up on something.

Should I just send it back to Ruger? How is there customer service?
Old December 31, 2012, 05:01 PM   #2
lee n. field

Is the recoil spring on right? There is a correct direction.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 31, 2012, 05:09 PM   #3
chris in va

Make sure it's 9mm Luger and not 9mm Mak or 380 (9mm short).

THoroughly clean out the chamber. Sounds like the case is getting stuck for some reason.
Old December 31, 2012, 05:53 PM   #4
SIMP

I hate to hear of your problem. I have a P95 that I just got to shoot for the first time today. It performed flawlessly and I couldn't be happier. I hope you get your issue worked out quick. Good luck.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:13 PM   #5
tahunua001

if it is anything like most other ruger guns it has a magazine disconnect safety that locks up the pistol if a mag is not properly inserted, try slapping the bottom of the mag after inserting to make sure that it is properly in place. also try taking it apart and cleaning extra well with brake cleaner to ensure all of the packing grease has been removed and relube it with break free CLP with special attention to the slide where it contacts the frame.
Old December 31, 2012, 06:17 PM   #6
lee n. field

The P95 does not have a magazine disconnect.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old December 31, 2012, 06:21 PM   #7
Seven High

Is it possible that you are limpwristing your P95? That would cause your problems.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:25 PM   #8
chris in va

Limpwristing doesn't explain the binding issue. Something is either out of spec or theres a lot of cleaning/oiling to be done.

I saw a similar issue with a brand new XDs 45. The range officer hit it with some WD40, ran fine after that.
Old December 31, 2012, 07:49 PM   #9
Walt Sherrill

The slide being hard to rack makes it sound like something unusual...

If you bought the gun from a local shop, take it back to the shop and let them look at it. If it's defective in some way, they can ship it back to Ruger for a fix.

If you bought it long-distance (i.e., through the internet), you can contact the seller. You also have the option of contacting Ruger directly (for help and information) or taking it to a local gunsmith.

Ruger's customer service is outstanding, but you may have to pay shipping -- and that's VERY expensive. Ruger may pay for shipping... Having your dealer do it, if that's an option, makes better sense.

(A range officer who keeps WD40 on hand is a scarey thought... as that stuff can turn to something like shellac over time. It's mineral oil with additives, and not a really good gun lubricant.)
Old January 1, 2013, 11:12 AM   #10
cajun47

i had a ruger p89 and p95 that bind up like that. i bought a glock.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:17 AM   #11
spanishjames

The P95 has an ejector that has to be pushed down to disassemble, and pulled up to reassemble. Are you sure it's in the correct position?
Old January 2, 2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Dakotared

I too have a P95 and it is very sensitive to limp wristing. Your problem sounds different. The slide should move pretty freely. I have found with the safety/decock on it is harder to move the slide so lot of the time I will take the safety off and pull the hammer back to make it easier.
Old January 2, 2013, 02:44 PM   #13
Xfire68

If you need to send it in to Ruger they have fantastic customer service.

I sent in my SR9 for service and had it back in a week. Free shipping both ways.
Old January 2, 2013, 06:13 PM   #14
buckeyedave

Ruger customer service is second to none. Give them a call. I had two issues with my P95 when it was new. Excessively heavy trigger pull in DA and one mag that wouldn't allow LRHO. Called them, sent the gun in, free both ways. Fixed the trigger pull and sent a new mag.
Ruger SR22P
Old January 2, 2013, 10:18 PM   #15
elDiabloLoco

Took my own new P95 out for a second round of shooting this week. The first session showed a lot of failures to feed or eject.

Before I took it out the first time, I cleaned and lightly oiled it. Perhaps too lightly. After the problems on the first outing, I used more oil before the second cleaning. Not so it was dripping off, but not so dry as the first outing.

Ran about 125 rounds with only one problem, a failure to feed the last round - That was with an new promag magazine. So maybe it was the mag, I didn't pay attention or try the mag again.

After the first firing there were light wear marks inside the slide above the chamber, so I hit that area with oil, as well as the spring and the barrel. Some along the rails, then racked it a few times.

Seems like my P95 prefers to be ridden wet(er) than his friends in the safe. Really liked the single action trigger pull on the P95 compared to his buddies(a Glock and a S&WSD9).

An easy thing to try before despair sets in.
Old January 2, 2013, 10:22 PM   #16
elDiabloLoco

A depressed ejector won't be the problem. Inserting a magazine returns the ejector to its firing position.