The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 7, 2012, 03:33 PM   #26
Creek Henry

I just had to add a shim on top of my rib of a new O/U I got. The gun shoots too low and I wasn't hitting anything with it. So, I put a 1/4"x14"x [1/4" to 1/16"] square dowel on the rib just before the middle bead. It aligns with the front sight perfectly now.

The only time I could hit with it was when I did the figure-8 thing but I dont' want to have to do that. It's cheesy, imo.
Old June 7, 2012, 03:51 PM   #27
M4BGRINGO

Well, I took my friends Beretta to the line last Sunday, started at station 1 which just happens to be my nemesis for some reason. Missed the first two birds, on the third I got it down-pat. Only scored a 21 with a gun I had hardly used, no middle bead to look-at. I then took my gun to the line, ignored the middle bead, broke 23.

So my take is..............Take the middle bead off, get the gun to fit you, or find a different gun that does fit you.

I also took a look at the other guns on the rack, three others had no middle bead, and those fellas were hitting at least 20 per round.

My friend asked me how I was lining-up my shots and how much of the rib I saw when I used his gun. My answer: NO CLUE! I put the gun where it felt right, kept the gun moving as I pulled the trigger. He then started to get the hang of it and was shooting 20+ the rest of the day!
Old June 7, 2012, 08:17 PM   #28
TheKlawMan

My take on the middle bead. It shouldn't be contributing to losses, directly. The thing is if you use it to check your mount, then it is harder not to look at the front bead when going for the shot.

Notice I didn't say that you consciously ignore the front bead. You are going to see it in your peripheral vision. Just don't look at it. Perhaps it would be better to get to the point where I see it and am totally unaware of it, but if I try not to think of it that is just what I am doing; thinking of it.

Everyone has been telling me forever to just look at the target. Why is something so simple so difficult?