The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2002, 11:00 PM   #1
Sundance

Benelli Super Black Eagle

I took a look at a Benelli Super Black Eagle today. I was impressed. My dealer will sell it to me for $985 + tax and gun check. The one I handled had the wood stock and 26" barrel. Can anyone comment on this gun...good or bad. Is it worth the price? Is this a good price? My only other semi-auto shotgun I own is a Remington 1187 Premier that I bought about 12 years ago for about $450. How will the Benelli compare in quality, handling, reliability, durability, shootability, pointability, etc. to my Remington and other semi-auto shotguns on the market? Thanks for any and all feedback!
Old August 13, 2002, 11:06 PM   #2
Duke of Lawnchair

Sundance,

I've handled a SBE as well, and was quite impressed. I don't own one, but my experiences with Benellis have been nothing but good.

If the SBE is anything like the M1s90's I've toyed with as far as handling, reliability, quality, etc then I'd say it's a winner.

I know there are a few SBE owners out here, I've seen them post a few times.

Jim
Old August 14, 2002, 07:37 AM   #3
HSMITH

Take a long hard look at the Win SuperX2, and as long as you are up around a grand look at the Beretta Extrema. The Browning Gold Hunter has a $100 rebate right now. I have shot the SBE, and did not care for it. I have owned and shot the X2 and the BGH, and prefer them both to the SBE.

If the SBE fits you and you like it buy it, it is as good as anything else out there.
Old August 14, 2002, 01:17 PM   #4
Sundance

HSMITH...

What did you not like about the SBE and what did you like better about the Browning and the others over the SBE? Could you be specific? Thanks!
Old August 14, 2002, 02:04 PM   #5
Omaha-BeenGlockin

Not sure how this relates to the SBE----BUT---I had a 12ga Montrofeltro(sp?) before---while the gun was perfect and functioned flawlessly---it just wasn't for me-----mainly too thick in the grip and beat the hell outta me.

If I were to get a new 12ga autoloader right now---it would be a Beretta 391---although you don't get to use the 3 1/2in shells ---like with the Gold ---SBE and Extrema.

I did buy a new camo NOVA last weekend---but haven't shot it yet---so can't comment as to if I like it or not yet---if I like how it shoots it will be a keeper---otherwise --Hasta Lavista Baby.
-------Metallica
Old August 14, 2002, 06:20 PM   #6
HKguy9

Sundance, wow good deal, I got mine for $1200

I like it but don't shoot birds...I shoot clay, but shouldn't have bought a 3.5" magnum for it...
Old August 14, 2002, 08:02 PM   #7
dick w. holliday

i had one that i used for 3 gun and it kicked the crap out of me so i sold it and went back to my 1100......i'd use the 11-87 if i were you.......Dick
Old August 14, 2002, 09:18 PM   #8
HSMITH

Sundance, when I shot the SBE it was available with a low rib only, I have been told that it is available now with a mid height rib that would help my opinion of it quite a bit. I also noticed a very sharp recoil to it, much like my over/unders. It would not cycle light loads so you got pounded to be able to shoot it. I practice with light loads, and LOTS of them. This would not have been something I would do with the SBE. The trigger on the 3 that I have shot is terrible, crunchy and heavy. I know they are touted as the fastest action available but I have not seen/felt it. There were several distinct clunks in the cycle, like an 1100 but not tinny, clunky noises.

My number one gripe? The one that will keep me from ever owning one? Locktime you can measure with a sundial. Longest locktime I have EVER experienced in a shotgun. Terrible. I shoot a lot and I shoot pretty well. It felt like I could have taken the gun from my shoulder afte the sear break and shot from the hip before it went off. Of course this is a gross exaggeration, but it really bothered me. The montefeltro must use a slightly different system, as I do not notice it on them. The M1 is just as bad as the SBE, don't like them either.

These are my opinions from shooting a few examples of the guns I picked on. YMMV. Other than intuitive "problems" I have had with the Benneli models I have seen no reason not to own one if you like it.
Old August 15, 2002, 06:41 AM   #9
9x19mm

Have a look at Franchi 612 too. I got mine a week ago (synthetic 24'' barrel w internal chokes) and I like it. I primarily shoot trap and skeet with it. So far it cycles all the light loads without any problems. It fits me well and it is cheaper than the Benelli too
Old August 15, 2002, 09:33 AM   #10
johnbt

Here

For the past 30 years I've been shopping at a local store that now bills itself as Virginia's largest Beretta dealer. They also stock a full line of Benellis.

They sure must sell a lot of SBEs, because the used gun rack always has a good selection of Like New In Box trade-ins.
Old August 15, 2002, 09:38 AM   #11
johnbt

A clue...

For the past 30 years I've been shopping at a very big store that now bills itself as Virginia's largest Beretta dealer. They also stock the full line of Benellis.

I always grab a new SBE from the wall racks because I love the heft and fit. Then I look at all the used ones and put it back.

They sure must sell a lot of SBEs, because for the past few years the used gun rack always has a good selection of Like New In Box trade-ins at nearly new prices. I suspect they got traded in on a gas gun after the first box or two of shells. Maybe not, but I'm suspicious nevertheless.

John
Old August 15, 2002, 05:03 PM   #12
Bud1

Quote:
I also noticed a very sharp recoil to it, much like my over/unders. It would not cycle light loads so you got pounded to be able to shoot it. I practice with light loads, and LOTS of them. This would not have been something I would do with the SBE. The trigger on the 3 that I have shot is terrible, crunchy and heavy. I know they are touted as the fastest action available but I have not seen/felt it. There were several distinct clunks in the cycle, like an 1100 but not tinny, clunky noises.

My number one gripe? The one that will keep me from ever owning one? Locktime you can measure with a sundial. Longest locktime I have EVER experienced in a shotgun. Terrible. I shoot a lot and I shoot pretty well. It felt like I could have taken the gun from my shoulder afte the sear break and shot from the hip before it went off.
Amen to all of the above. I'd take a Beretta gas gun any day over the Benelli.
Old August 15, 2002, 07:03 PM   #13
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

I know several guys who couldn't hit with Benellis. We came to the conclusion that the weight distribution was off for folks raised with SGs that had more weight upfront.

My specific problem with Benellis was a long ingrained manual of arms/muscle memory from the 1100/870 series. While the Benelli is a fine gun, I never could get my responses down, despite a case or two of shells through it

That being said, several buds who are serious duck/goose hunters swear by the SBE.

YMMV
Old May 29, 2012, 11:31 AM   #14
davehartman99

SBE and Browning Gold

I have both the SBE and Browning Gold and they are both excellent guns. I use the Browning Gold with a rifled barrel as my primary deer gun with a nice 50mm Nikon scope. It is outstanding. Likewise, I use the SBE 12 GA bird barrel for ducks, geese, and turkey. Both guns are very good but the one difference is the parts. The SBE / Benelli guns are flawless shooting wise because they have very few parts and never jamb so for high round shooting for birds, it is ideal. Since deer is one or several shots but not shooting high volume, the Browning Gold is ideal with the rifled barrel but it has a lot more parts and I did jamb with that once from the trigger assembly spring popping off which required me to pull the whole trigger assembly out in the field and put it back in to get it working again. It is for that reason alone that I would go with the SBE over the Browning gold if you use it for bird shooting with high volumes. Of course that is just my opinion but I have had great success both deer and bird in using this combo of two different guns plus the Browning Gold has the scope on it so not geared to swap barrels for birds. Hope that helps.
Old May 29, 2012, 11:48 AM   #15
BigJimP

Dave, I'd suggest you watch your dates....

....you picked up a thread that is 10 yrs old ....not that your comments aren't valid.../ but most of the guys, and certainly the Original poster...have long since made their decision.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:11 AM   #16
Virginian

Yes, it's a bit dated. The original SBE was a vicious kicker with heavy loads. That's why they came up with the 2 piece stocks and such on the SBE II.
Old May 30, 2012, 07:26 AM   #17
jason_iowa

With a shotgun its all about fit. If the fit is not right it does not matter how good of a shotgun you get.
Old June 1, 2012, 03:24 PM   #18
Nick S.

I guess you could call this a "Blast from the past".
Old June 7, 2012, 03:38 PM   #19
Durty

Lol. awesome. I say let's keep it going and see if it will make it another decade.