The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 14, 2009, 06:22 PM   #1
amamnn

Tiny powder drops with Lee Auto-Disk

If you use Lee powder through the die and the auto-disk to load small cartridges and have been less than thrilled with the results, you might be interested in a new Lee disk called the Micro Disk.

I've tried to use the auto disk and the pro auto disk to load .32 acp, .380 acp and 9mm luger and gave up, resorting to weighing all the charges, as nothing I did seemed to stop bridging in those measures. I added a baffle and ran graphite through the pro version and got better results with it, but still, a variance of .2 grains in a 2 grain charge is 10% and not acceptable to me. Sometimes I got a charge which was full grain light.

When I saw this new micro disk I ordered one from Midway, since it was so cheap. I figured it was going to be another lesson learned. Actually, I did get a real surprise when it showed up today! I ordered it on the 11th. Way to go, Larry! Anyway, I got it set up on my press and proceeded to load 50 .32 acp cartridges with a desired charge of 2.2 grains of W231. Right away I noticed it was leaking powder badly (see photo) and took it apart and did the old graphite leak stop trick. I loaded another case and the leak was just as bad. The good news is that once the leak got to a certain point, it appeared to stop. In fact, when I collected all the leaked powder from the entire episode, there was only .3 grains. Still, I'm a miser and a curmudgeon and I require no leaking. More about this later.

[/IMG]

Unlike earlier Lee disk measures, this one dropped only 1 single solitary charge that was not within .1 grain of the desired weight of 2.2 grains. This was also the mean weight. I used the chamber that Lee says drops 2.3 grains of W231. I expect that 2.3 grains would have been my mean weight too, if my lot was the same density of their test lot. I got the following results in 50 cartridges:
11 were 2.1 grains
29 were 2.2 grains
10 were 2.3 grains* there was one 2.4 grain drop that got thrown out and redone.

I was happy with the accuracy, but concerned about the leakage, so I took the thing apart again and measured all the moving surfaces with a straightedge. When the reservoir (the red part) proved to be straight I was disappointed, because I did not think it would be a good idea to file the disk. I measured the disk, expecting to find that it was the source of the gap, but it was not!!!?

On a hunch I reassembled the thing again only with the reservoir backward and lo! the gap was gone. I loaded another 50 rounds with virtually no leakage and the following results:
8 were 2.1 gr.
32 were 2.2 gr.
10 were 2.3 gr* 2 drops of 2.4 gr. were done over

I think Lee has a winner here.........and it was under $10

Last edited by amamnn; March 14, 2009 at 06:27 PM.
Old March 15, 2009, 01:03 AM   #2
73-Captain

Lee Auto-Disk

"...interested in a new Lee disk called the Micro Disk."

The "Micro-Disk" is hardly new. I've had one for many years.

The Micro-Disk has to be at least 10 years old if not 15 years or more.

C.
Old March 15, 2009, 03:52 AM   #3
bedlamite

73 Captain is right, the micro disk has been out for a while. The pro update kit will include a new hopper that doesn't leak.
Old March 15, 2009, 11:10 AM   #4
amamnn

I've been using Lee equipment since 1958 and this was the first I've seen of it. Maybe all the dealers were not pushing it and Lee left it out of the catalogs and website all this time....maybe I just missed it...I was promised the pro version and charge bar would fix me up and when it did not I went another route...I may not have been looking closely are anything that said auto disk....anyway I took my pro version apart to mount this new (to me, at least) setup and got it to stop leaking as described, so anyone who buys the conversion kit and has a leak might want to try that before buying a pro version reservoir.

Last edited by amamnn; March 15, 2009 at 11:20 AM.
Old March 15, 2009, 06:51 PM   #5
Russ5924

I've had one about 5 years but don't think I have ever used it
Old March 15, 2009, 10:23 PM   #6
bluetopper

I use a hot butcher knife and cut the baffle out of all my Lee disc hoppers to let the powder fall directly in to the disc. Works a lot better and consistently now especially with flake powders.
Old March 16, 2009, 01:35 PM   #7
73-Captain

I think you just "missed it"

"I've been using Lee equipment since 1958 and this was the first I've seen of it. Maybe all the dealers were not pushing it and Lee left it out of the catalogs and website all this time..."

The "Micro-Disk" has been in the Lee catalog and on their website for years. Just one of those things that didn't catch your attention. A lot of dealers may not carry it.

C.
Old March 17, 2009, 11:39 AM   #8
tkcomer

I have the Micro Disk, but love the adjustable charge bar Lee sells. I can never find that "right" powder drop I'm looking for with the Micro Disk. But I sure can with the adjustable charge bar. And it's cheap to boot.