The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 9, 2000, 11:36 AM   #1
Dimitri

Hodgdon warns not to reduce loads by more than 3% because of potentially poor ignition problems. They list (and it's their powder) 23.0 "starting" loads for 240 gr. JSP. Reduced by 3% that comes to 22.3 gr.

I found a web site that listed 19.3 gr. H-110 for 240 gr. bullets. I loaded 19.5, 20.5, and 21.5 . . . The 23.0 gr. load is blowing my groups apart with the lead bullet.

Anyone working in this load range with lead bullets?
Old October 9, 2000, 12:05 PM   #2
Paul B.

Dimitri. How hard are those lead bullets you are loading? When loading to those power levels, bullets should be as hard as you can get them. Some of the commercial bullets are swaged, and therefore too soft for high velocity loadings.
I load my own cast bullets, heat treated to a hardness level of around 20 BHN or harder, and leading is not a problem. Groups are about as tight as I can shoot. (Not as tight as I would like though) I'm talking 240 gr. Keith style SWC's at 1450 FPS using W-296. Also 300 gr. SWC's at 1300 FPS. This is in .44 Mag.
The important thing is, in my opinion, the bullet must be hard enough not to strip in the rifling.
Paul B.
Old October 9, 2000, 12:17 PM   #3
Dimitri

Oregon Trails, silver alloy "Lazer Cast" which are supposed to "provide excellent accuracy at jacketed velocities."

Might be my shooting. But I'm working off a bench rest and the 1400 fps stuff is all over the place -- stringers in two foot intervals.

When I bring the velocity down with an HS6 load, 1100 fps, I start getting 3" groups at 75 yards.