The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old February 14, 2012, 03:48 PM   #1
dlbarr

Brass Shot Shells

Does anyone know of a manufacturer other than Magtech or RMC? I am looking for a shell that will accept 209 primers, RMC will of course, but man are they pricey!! And Magtech it seems only are made for LP primers. Thanks
Old February 14, 2012, 05:34 PM   #2
Hawg

They're pricey but if you don't crimp them they will last a couple of lifetimes.
Old February 14, 2012, 11:34 PM   #3
Fingers McGee

Large Pistol Primers in the Magtechs work just fine. RCBS makes a shell holder and decapper for them, and they're way cheaper than RMCs
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 15, 2012, 06:54 AM   #4
B.L.E.

Large pistol primers also tend to be cheaper than 209 primers.
Old February 15, 2012, 12:11 PM   #5
dlbarr

Thanks for your input guys. So do I presume correctly that there are no other mfrs of brass shotshells? As for relative costs of primers, I believe the last 209s I bought were $4/100. Not sure how much cheaper LPs can be to make that big of a different to me. No offense meant, just sayin' is all...
Old February 15, 2012, 01:03 PM   #6
Fingers McGee

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlbarr
Thanks for your input guys. So do I presume correctly that there are no other mfrs of brass shotshells?
Not currently, that I am aware of.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old February 15, 2012, 01:35 PM   #7
arcticap

Rocky Mountain Cartridge probably makes some of the best brass shotshells for reloading.

http://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/
Old February 15, 2012, 01:48 PM   #8
GroovyMike

I have the primers that fit old brass shotshells

There are old shotshells out there too like those made by Winchester.
If anyone has the old style all brass shotshells, I have a box of #157 primers (1,000 count) that fit them (they look like 209 primers but are smaller).
Old February 15, 2012, 02:13 PM   #9
dlbarr

Yeah, for the cost I guess I will go with the Magtech's for now. I was hoping to simplify things by not having to buy different primers for this, that and the other... I may invest in a few of the RMC shells as time goes along but I have other priorities ahead of that. Thanks to all.
Old February 16, 2012, 12:17 AM   #10
Andy Griffith

All you really need are the shellholders to help seat the primers straight- no other special case tools are needed.

CH4D makes shellholders to fit standard metallic single stage reloading presses in all standard shotgun gauges- and they are reasonable too.

I agree there is no reason to crimp the shells unless you're running them through a repeating action firearm that will not take them unless crimped.

Getting the crimp back out is the more difficult part, as shooting does not blow the crimp back out- and loading is out of the question with a crimped case.