The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 4, 2009, 04:34 PM   #1
dmatamorosq

Should I remove the blue, or re-blue instead?

Hey guys! I have a 50 year-old Colt .22 Huntsman, belonged to my grandfather. The blue is around 80 - 85 %, I´d say in decent condition, but I would rather have the finish 100%, so I guess I have two options, to remove the blue or to re-blue.

I really like the look of all stainles, but should I re-blue the gun instead? Which method is less "invasive" or "damaging" ???

Also, what is the best method (or product) out there to remove the blue and/or to re-blue?

THANKS!

PS: I will never ever sell this gun and I plan on leaving it for my boy when he grows up, so he can leave it to his boy and so on, so the fact that this might drop the price drop does not really bother me.
Old August 4, 2009, 05:05 PM   #2
dahermit

Removing the blue from a blued gun does not produce: "stainless" finish. Stainless Steels are alloys of steel that contain Chromium and or Nickel. Guns that are blued are not based on stainless steels.
You have two options. 1) Leave it as is to maintain collector interest and shoot it as it is. 2) Have a gunsmith remove the old blue and re-blue the gun, which will diminish interest by collectors and cost you plenty.

Cold bluing (something you could do at home), is not going to produce the effect you want. No matter how done, or what product you use, will wear off in short order leaving a sorry example of a gun wreck.
Old August 4, 2009, 05:24 PM   #3
dmatamorosq

Thank you dahermit!!! Could you please answer the following?

According to your answer:

1. Removing the blue from a blued gun does not produce: "stainless" finish. THEN, WHAT KIND OF FINISH WOULD I GET?

2. Stainless Steels are alloys of steel that contain Chromium and or Nickel. Guns that are blued are not based on stainless steels. AGAIN, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, MY GUN IS NOT STAINLESS STEEL?

3. Cold bluing (something you could do at home), is not going to produce the effect you want. No matter how done, or what product you use, will wear off in short order leaving a sorry example of a gun wreck. COULD THIS WORK IF I ONLY WANTED A "TOUCH UP"?

Thanks!
Old August 4, 2009, 05:48 PM   #4
m.p.driver

Removing the bluing will leave you with an (in the white look) that will rust in no time at all.It would be bare metal,think of a lawn mower blade.You could go with a nickel plating but it will lose collectors value reguardless.Cold bluing doesnt give a deep coating,its not thick enough so it will wear off easily and you would need to reapply at some time.Best thing is leave it alone or maybe contact Colt and get a factory reblue if possible.It'd be the lesser of evil's.
Old August 4, 2009, 06:42 PM   #5
Bill DeShivs

1. You would have a bare, carbon steel finish. It rusts.
2. Your gun is not stainless. It is carbon steel. Stainless does not blue.
3. Cold bluing is a temporary solution. It can actually remove the bluing you are trying to match.
You have a nice gun. It's 50 years old and in good condition. It's not supposed to look new.
Screwing with the finish will likely ruin the gun's value. This is coming from someone who refinishes guns.
Old August 5, 2009, 01:41 AM   #6
Powderman

Your best solution:

Send it back to Colt, and have it redone by the factory.
Old August 5, 2009, 10:10 AM   #7
dmatamorosq

Thanks to all!!!

Can I really send it back to Colt???
Old August 5, 2009, 07:15 PM   #8
Dfariswheel

Yes.
Colt still refinishes "most" of their guns, but may not do some older models due to the risk of finding something wrong and no longer having parts.

Colt contact information is here:

http://www.coltsmfg.com/refinishing.aspx

Talk to them BEFORE sending the gun in, and make sure you known all about shipping regulations before sending.
As example, you can ship the gun to Colt, but you can't MAIL it.

They do top quality work. Pricing and turnaround is very competitive with non-factory refinishing work, plus a genuine factory refinish doesn't affect collector value as much as a non-factory job.
Old August 5, 2009, 08:06 PM   #9
dahermit

If your gun still has 85% of the blue left, if it were mine, I would leave it as-is and enjoy it by shooting it and keeping it from rusting. Some day when you wish to part with it, some collector will be glad to get it in an unaltered (not reblued), state. If you keep it long enough and it is in good condition, you may be pleasantly surprised at what you can get for it.

Quote:
1. Removing the blue from a blued gun does not produce: "stainless" finish. THEN, WHAT KIND OF FINISH WOULD I GET?

2. Stainless Steels are alloys of steel that contain Chromium and or Nickel. Guns that are blued are not based on stainless steels. AGAIN, WHAT DOES THIS MEAN, MY GUN IS NOT STAINLESS STEEL?

3. Cold bluing (something you could do at home), is not going to produce the effect you want. No matter how done, or what product you use, will wear off in short order leaving a sorry example of a gun wreck. COULD THIS WORK IF I ONLY WANTED A "TOUCH UP"?
1) You would get a gun with the "finish" removed...bare steel.
2) Your gun was not made from stainless steel. It was likely made using a "High Alloy Steel".
3) Cold blue is only suitable for very minor touch up to hide very small imperfections. It should not be used to try and restore a gun that has 85% of the original blue left.

Last edited by dahermit; August 5, 2009 at 08:11 PM.
Old August 6, 2009, 08:40 PM   #10
Ruger4570

One more opinion... I am with most of the guys here. I would either leave it alone and live with the normal wear of the bluing or as suggested, send it back to Colt for rebluing. There is nothing wrong with a gun with honest wear, especially if it isn't abuse.