The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old January 31, 2001, 01:06 PM   #1
Grapeshot

I find myself wanting a nice semi-automatic .30/06 for hunting and general purpose use, but can't decide between these 2 rifles.

I know the Garand is heavier, but I shot one not long ago, and, well I'm in love! Oh the history of it, the inexpensive stripper clips ...

My problem is that because of poor vision, I require scopes on all of my rifles. I know the BAR is more easily scoped, but it can't be as sturdy and the freakin' magazines are like 35 bucks a piece ...

So is it possible to scope a Garand? If not, looks like I'm stuck with the BAR ...
Old January 31, 2001, 02:49 PM   #2
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

Grapeshot,

Yes it is possible to scope a Garand. S&K makes a mount that sits where the rear sight is. Fulton Armory sells it. You can see it at their website: http://www.fulton-armory.com/

Look under the M1 Garand Stuff section. Scroll a bit more than halfway down and click on the link for a bigger picture. Hope this helps.
Old January 31, 2001, 04:59 PM   #3
M1911

How about an M1A? Lighter than a Garand (ok, not by much). More easily scoped than a Garand.

Personally, for hunting I prefer a bolt-action rifle. Much lighter. I've got Garands and an M1A. I would not be interested in lugging them over hill and dale (along with my backpack).

But whatever floats your boat...

M1911
Old January 31, 2001, 05:57 PM   #4
Grapeshot

Thanks for the Fult. Arm. link!

I wish I could afford an M1A.
As for the Remington, my dad's just self-destructed so I don't think much of the 7400 ...
Old January 31, 2001, 09:30 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

My dream gun...

A M1 Garand with a M1D scope mounting system, Nigerian pistol grip stock, NM sights, lugged and bedded, and detachable BAR magazine. A Somers type flash suppressor from Smith Enterprise would complete the picture. OK, the disadvantage would be the pistol grip and BAR mag since your prone position would be higher than normal, but this is just for fun.
Old January 31, 2001, 11:12 PM   #6
Nodakmarine

I'll take the Garand any day of the week over any other semi-auto .30-06 out there. Granted the Garand can be a little more tricky to mount a scope on than either the BAR or Remington rifles. What to me makes the difference is that the Garand can be stripped apart and cleaned without a bunch of special tools. Never worked on a BAR before but I know that the Remington's are a beast to take apart to clean and aren't very reliable if they aren't spotless. Want to hear a click or a bang when you see that trophy buck pop up?
Old January 31, 2001, 11:52 PM   #7
echo3mike

Don't know much about the BAR, but I know alot about humping gear in the boonies. Every friggin' ounce will increase your percieved exertion by an order of magnitude.

The M1 Garand is a KISS simple weapon. If these were the only choices, the M1 would be mine. Plus you can use the weight differential as more ammo! It can be scoped with a degree of success,(although the weird cheek weld and sight alignment sits poorly with my Marine makrsmanship lessons),is tough as nails, and the parts are easily replaced.

Regards,
S.
Old February 1, 2001, 01:24 PM   #8
Grapeshot

Anybody out there actually scope an M1?

If so, how do you like it scoped?
Old February 1, 2001, 01:37 PM   #9
4V50 Gary
Staff

I have a scoped M1 and it was done by the gubmint (M1D).
Old February 1, 2001, 07:24 PM   #10
kgs

Get an M1

If you are deer hunting, chances are you will be still hunting, so weight shouldn't be an issue. (we here in Michigan hunt deer mainly from blinds and tree stands.)
I plan to use my 11.5# M1A this year for deer. A buddy of mine uses his M1 to deer hunt with iron sights and has had much success. ( I realize you require optics.)

Anyway, it's hard to beat the romanticism of the M1!

kgs.
Old February 2, 2001, 09:54 AM   #11
Grapeshot

That's just it, the romanticism of the gun that helped defeat the forces of darkness ... and may one day do so again.
Old February 2, 2001, 11:12 AM   #12
Steve Smith

Grapeshot...someone mentionsed the M1A...well, you might not be able to afford an M1A, but how about a Polytech or Norince M14? That should run you between $50 and $700, and will be a good rifle. You can upgrade the bolt later. Just another option.
Old February 3, 2001, 03:59 PM   #13
Casey

I bought the comercial scope mount for my M1, and it works very well, except for the above mentioned weird angles that you have to use with your head.

You also need to realize that with shooting the 30/06 with a scope, control of the rifle is important. Treat this as a 22-250 or .223 Rem, and the scope will jump up and give you a scar on your forehead.

Casey

"To sin by silence when they should protest makes cowards of men."
Abraham Lincoln
Old February 3, 2001, 07:48 PM   #14
alan

The M-1 (Garand), if I remember correctly, can be scoped. The mount would be on left side of the rifle, and I do not believe that the scope would block the rifles top loading characterists.

You would likely want a lace-on cheek piece though, as I thing the scope would be fairly high above the bore. Unfortunately, I cannot offer and information on who does the mount.
Old February 4, 2001, 09:14 AM   #15
swampyMO

Casey,

I also am interested in a scope mount for an M1.

Is this some sort of "clamp on" mount or does it require some gunsmithing??

Does it mar the surface of the receiver in any way??

Who makes it and where can I find one??

How precice is it??

I don't need it to be that precise as far as returning to the same zero after being taken off & re-mounted, but wanted to know if it seemed to be solid enough that it didn't move between shots.

The only reason I'd want my M1 scoped is for a bit more precise group testing in my load developement. My aging eyes sometimes make it questionable as to the groups I'm getting. If I had a way to get a really good accurate load for the particular rifle I'm using, then if things are not up to par on any particular match or practice session, then I know the problem lies somewhere other than the accuracy of the ammo.......

Thanks for any info..

Swampy
Old February 4, 2001, 01:07 PM   #16
alan

As was mentioned, the M-1D "sniper rifle" was scoped. If you have the opportunity to actually saee one, with scope mounted, or look at some detailed photos, this might help interested parties.
Old February 4, 2001, 06:11 PM   #17
SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI

SWAMPY,

The S & K mount doesn't require any smithing. You simply remove the rear sight and drop it in. It comes with 1" rings included. I've never had any problems with it- very stable. Check my post above for the Fulton Armory link. You can also order it direct from S & K- http://www.scopemounts.com/