The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 23, 2009, 10:57 AM   #1
bigted1956

update cz 458 project

well i did it...finally got off my rump and loaded some shells for this monster. what a kewl gun to shoot. im likeing this rifle more and more. i adjusted the trigger and installed a leo 1-4 on it. my tired ol eyes cant see that lil bead very good anymore.

the load i finally settled on is this;

40 gr RL 7...400 gr barns jacketed...cci lrge rfl mag primer...norma nickle cart.

it runs around 1600 fps i think. groups are inside 1.5 inch off a bench. recoil is definetly mild and this rifle likes this clean burning combo. i got the basis from a lyman book in the 45/90 section, only i substituted this great barns hunk of lead for the cast they recomended.

when i shoot er at my gong...it bounces it better then my 375 ruger and that says something as the 375 gets er done. i wouldnt be afraid to tackle the lil critters here in alaska with this load as i bet it will also get er done.

there...thats the update i promised

big T
Old August 23, 2009, 11:07 AM   #2
bigted1956

PS

got so excited writing the last that i forgot to ask a question as well.

when i rack the bolt on this rifle, with factory shells and with my handloads, the cart that lives on the left side of the rail inside the box mag, doesnt feed well into the chamber. this has to be fixed before i go out and tease the lil grizzlys here.

it jams against the lug area and possibly against the chamber mouth. this is with factory shells and with my crimped handloads. question is...is this norm with straight walled cases like this 458 and if not...what to do about it?

thanks

Ted