The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 20, 2009, 11:26 AM   #1
ibdecent

Benchrest primers

I went to 3 different stores. none had exactly what I needed, so I bought what I could, CCI large rifle Benchrest primers. I was told they burn hotter. I'm loading for a .30-06 and .270 with barnes tipped tsx using RL-19. I'm fairly new to reloading and have never done any loads for these particular rifles.

Anything I should know about using these primers?
Old August 20, 2009, 12:03 PM   #2
fprefect

BR Primers

Benchrest primers can be used for any purpose that a "standard" primer might be used for. They are just built to a higher tolerance supposedly using a special anvil and cup that will produce a more consistent "burn" from primer to primer. I have used used CCI BR primers in 2 benchrest rifles for years and they produce excellent results.

You will probably be able to use the same powder charge as you used with std. primers, but you might want to back off the charge weight a little on a test load to be sure that pressures will be close to what you were getting with the std. primer.

F. Prefect
Old August 20, 2009, 01:20 PM   #3
margiesex

You'll ....

Yes, you'll love the results with the BR2's - next to the old RWS, the best I've ever used.

Consistancy is special with them.

God bless and Good shooting.

Margiesex

And remember - Hug your God and your guns - 'cause he's coming for them both, and soon!
Old August 20, 2009, 01:24 PM   #4
amamnn

I've been told all kinds of nonsense about BR primers or match primers. Basically, they are the same primers as standard but inspected and held to a closer tolerance for weight, height and diameter.

Some things I have been told by manufactures' techs:

"We run one lot of primers and sort the match grades out with tighter specs."
"We run the prospective benchrest primers by our most experienced inspectors and send the culls back to the production line to be sold as standard--unless they are out of tolerance for standard."
"We hand assemble and inspect match primers using only the most experienced personell."
"We used to make the match primers with a different particle size of the stryphate, but not anymore."

Some things I've read on gun forums don't bear repeating.
Old August 20, 2009, 07:05 PM   #5
ibdecent

thanks all! great input.
Old August 22, 2009, 09:08 PM   #6
rn22723

Quote:
I've been told all kinds of nonsense about BR primers or match primers. Basically, they are the same primers as standard but inspected and held to a closer tolerance for weight, height and diameter.

Some things I have been told by manufactures' techs:

"We run one lot of primers and sort the match grades out with tighter specs."
"We run the prospective benchrest primers by our most experienced inspectors and send the culls back to the production line to be sold as standard--unless they are out of tolerance for standard."
"We hand assemble and inspect match primers using only the most experienced personell."
"We used to make the match primers with a different particle size of the stryphate, but not anymore."

Some things I've read on gun forums don't bear repeating.
The highlighted item I believe the REST IS BS!

Go read this from a reliable author
http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammunit...909/index.html