The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 14, 2018, 12:51 PM   #1
JJ45

Thread Locker recommendations.

What's the best thread locking compound that will hold well but is not permanent.

It's for the sling stud/screw that replaces the fore end screw on a Savage 99F.

Carrying the rifle slung does put some pressure on that stud, I am currently using Blue Locktite and after following mfgr instructions the set up has a tendency to loosen up.

Any suggestions would be helpful.
Old January 14, 2018, 01:41 PM   #2
lamarw

I would think the blue would work, but your experience demonstrates it does not. Blue is medium strength and the red Loctite 277 is hight strength. My understanding is hight heat will loosen red loctite. Is it also possible to simply replace parts in case you ever have the need to loosen the bolt? In other words cut the old bolt off and replace.
Old January 15, 2018, 07:57 AM   #3
Mobuck

The blue should be adequate.
I can tell you what NOT TO USE. Do not use bearing and stud retainer.
Old January 15, 2018, 08:30 AM   #4
ms6852

I sometimes use clear nail polish, just make sure wife or girlfriend give the okay. But blue loctite is adequate and easier to remove than clear nail polish.
Old January 15, 2018, 09:28 AM   #5
OzeanJaeger

If blue doesn't work use red. I seriously doubt it will loosen with the red. I've honestly never had a bolt or screw completely freeze on me using red. It just takes more torque to break it loose.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:04 AM   #6
Doyle

I've never had blue fail on something like you are describing. Are you sure that both threads were cleaned of any oil residue before you applied the blue? If either had oil residue on them, that could easily explain the failure.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:12 AM   #7
BarryLee

I know they offer a primer/activator which might help.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old January 15, 2018, 10:37 AM   #8
Ricklin

The key is clean....

Anaerobic sealants like loctite share one common theme.

The parts must be clean and free of oil or grease. Use a Q tip or similar in the threads to really get them clean.

Don't worry too much about using Red, heat is our friend.

I use a "sacrificial" screwdriver bit for screws. Choose a good fitting screwdriver and heat the screwdriver to transfer heat to the screw.

Your nose will tell you when to apply torque to the screw. Loctite has a distinctive sweet odor when it is hot enough to let go.

Beware of Locktite around plastics. It will destroy ABS.
Old January 15, 2018, 09:41 PM   #9
PeteH

Blast the parts clean with brakleen or kleenbore gunk out and blow dry with computer duster stuff.
I use red or blue on my harley engine parts depending on need, both can be broken loose with mild heat IF you can get a good purchase on the head of the bolt or screw.
Old January 15, 2018, 09:50 PM   #10
Dufus

Looks like a Harley engine would get hot enough to make both red and blue turn loose easily.
Old January 15, 2018, 10:34 PM   #11
4V50 Gary
Staff

Blue or even the wife's nail polish.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:16 PM   #12
44 AMP
Staff

Red, blue, yellow, green, the color code is a general thing. There is a whole range of products within each group. Locktite 242 (red) and 262 (red) aren't exactly the same thing.

For gun screws, I've found a product called "Guntite" works well. Applied properly (screw and hole degreased - denatured alcohol works well for this) screws stay put until you remove them, no heat required.

I would expect Guntite to hold a sling swivel stud well enough, though its not meant to be a permanent thing.
Old January 16, 2018, 04:38 PM   #13
Unclenick
Staff

I agree. You should go to Loctite's product pages and read the descriptions of the different Loctite's. They generally include information on how much torque they will take with a standard size bolt. If cleaning doesn't do it for the product you have, look up it's torque rating and then look up the next higher one for that same bolt. Fastenal and other industrial supply vendors will carry the complete line or be able to order specific products for you.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old January 21, 2018, 10:52 AM   #14
gw44

I use red on mine, it does not loosen up and if I need to remove it I can, I love my 99 and would never do anything that would mess it up !!!!
Old February 10, 2018, 05:43 PM   #15
jugornot

They also make a pink for small screws like on rings and rails. The primer also significantly reduces set up time.
Old February 10, 2018, 05:56 PM   #16
Yosemite Steve

I use red and have taken apart and put together many things afterwards with no troubles. DO NOT USE RED ON ALUMINUM unless you don't plan to loosen again. It will strip the threads. I have never seen it damage steel. DOn't over do it. Try a dot on one side of the threads. If that doesn't work try more next time.
Old February 10, 2018, 06:27 PM   #17
Ridgerunner665

Use a little more blue than you have been.
Old February 10, 2018, 07:00 PM   #18
Yosemite Steve

I wasn't meaning I use it all the time. Moving parts most of the time. Model 94 for example.