The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 15, 2013, 11:13 AM   #1
bman940

First time father/son tactical shooters

My son and I have now participated in 2 tactical matches. 1 22lr and one .223/5.56 match. Huge fun and everyone went out otheir way to make sure we were safe and had fun. Can't say enough good things about getting the opportunity to become a better tactical shooter. I also encourage anyone who has been hesitant to try this out, do it. Chances are you'll receive the same warm welcome we did.

Here's a pic of my son sighting in our rifles the day before for the the 22 match. He's hooked and now wants to shoot whenever we can.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/...P-22/22lr3.jpg
Old July 18, 2013, 08:59 AM   #2
kraigwy

I make a yearly trip to Portland on the 4th of July to visit my Daughter.

This year my son found a USPSA match with the idea of showing his daddy how to shoot.

That didn't pan out but I had the pleasure of shooting the match with my Son and Grandson.

My son was already hooked but we got my grandson hooked also. He's in his last year on a ROTC Scholarship. I get to pin him when he graduates in May.

Hopefully I can get him into some rifle shooting before them, as a young infantry officer I think learning to shoot a rifle would be more beneficial.

But yes, its great to make shooting sports a family affair.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old July 18, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
bman940

Love Portland

I grew up there and spent a lot of time hunting and shooting on the US Forest Service land open to the public. Hopefully your July 4th shooting weather was better then any of our July days? My buddies hate coming down to shoot in 95+ deg. heat but you do kind of get used to it. Like you some of my best days have been with my family at the range or hunting together. My son just beat me for the first time and I couldn't be more proud. I knew it was close and let the need for speed be my downfall. Good lesson for both of us. Congrats on your Grand Son graduating from ROTC!
Old July 21, 2013, 04:42 PM   #4
bamaranger

watch out

Good for you.

Next thing you know, the kid will be out shooting you, you'll buy a new pistol in an attempt to keep up, but it won't help!!!!!!!!!!!
Old July 21, 2013, 04:50 PM   #5
bman940

lol

Bama, To late! Lost to him last weekend.....Son did very well and I learned a lesson I learned 40 years ago, don't makes changes int he middle of a game unless you've practiced those changes! Sheesh, I was very proud of my son for doing what he has learned. I haven't found a pistol that is as accurate in my hands as it is on others! I do love shooting my .44 Desert Eagle, but they won't let me shoot it in matches, to hard on the steel.