The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old August 20, 2018, 11:55 AM   #1
TruthTellers

What's your ideal 10mm Auto?

Was thinking lately about how few, clearly different 10mm's are out there. Right now there's three different types of 10mm pistols available.

1. 1911
2. Doublestack 1911 (Rock Island)
3. Glock

If you could have any manufacturer make a 10mm pistol, what do you want it to be?

Personally, I want it polymer framed, either DA/SA or SAO, doublestack, and with a 5 inch barrel.

Most importantly, I want to be able to use the mags in a carbine and that brought me to realizing the only companies that could or are making 10mm carbines are Ruger with their PC carbine and Hi Point, as they make a 10mm carbine now.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:04 PM   #2
Dave P

Tanfoglio has some nice, double stack choices. And the old S&W 1000 series are tough to beat.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:14 PM   #3
Astocks2622

You totally skipped the Tanfoglio line imported by EAA. Polymer or steel frame CZ 75 copies. I have the all steel Stock 1 in 10mm. DA/SA hammer fired with true thumb safety, NOT a decocker so I can carry cocked and locked like a 1911. 4.75" bull barrel, low bore axis, 14+1. And it can handle full power loads with ease. You can also swap any caliber large frame slide assy on to your frame. I have a 9mm longslide and mags that I can run on the same lower frame for cheaper practice (though I always finish a range session with full house 10mm loads). This is my primary sidearm when I'm in the woods here in Alaska.
411548948_1.jpeg

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Astocks2622

Also, supposedly Springfield is adding the 10mm to their XDM line, but no with on a release date.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Old August 20, 2018, 12:20 PM   #5
BarryLee

I wanted a 10mm more than I wanted GLOCK, but felt like it was the best choice. GLOCKs don't elicit a big positive emotional response like a 1911, but it has ben a rock solid gun and great value.
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old August 20, 2018, 12:20 PM   #6
Areoflyer09

Both of my 10mms are Tanfoglios.

-Limited Pro - DA/SA, 4.75” barrel, 7lb double action and 3lb single action
-Hunter - SAO, 6” barrel, 3lb trigger

I haven’t experienced another brand of 10mm that would get me to change from the Tanfos yet. Ive gotten to run a custom 1911 and it was fun to shoot, but I don’t love the platform so it doesn’t tempt me much.

Just Right Carbine has a 10mm model that uses Glock mags. The Kriss Vector 10mm also uses Glock mags.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:28 PM   #7
CDW4ME

I've got Glock 20SF, Delta Elite, Ruger 10mm, Kimber TLE 10mm - they all good.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:45 PM   #8
RickB

Dan Wesson makes, or made, a hi-cap 1911 based on the Caspian stack-and-a-half frame, which is smaller in circumference than other metal-framed hi-caps, at the cost of a few rounds of capacity, called the Titan.
If I really wanted a $3000 10mm that holds more rounds than a single stack, I'd probably go that way.

After Vltor screwed-up their revival of the Bren Ten, there still seemed to be a demand for it, and another project is apparently going to actually bear fruit, in the form of the Combat Service Pistol, from Chuck Warner.
A Bren Ten clone, made to high quality standards, would be nice gun.
I've held an original, and if the reboot actually holds 15 rounds in a Witness magazine, and shoots well?
Another $3000+ option.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:54 PM   #9
Sevens

I have been a card-carrying 10mm aficionado since my formative years being indoctrinated, one month at a time by the inside-back-cover-of-G&A writings of Jeff Cooper. I knew that one day I must own and carry a 10mm handgun and I got my first 10mm in 1995 (S&W 1006) and then finally got a carry license and a Glock 29 in 2008.

I love the 1006 but it isn't a perfect handgun. The Glock 29 isn't either, but it's probably closer to perfect for me.

Thing is, all the available evidence doesn't add up properly. I own more S&W 1-2-3rd Gens than most folks would believe or could stomach. They are the single focus of what I own, love, collect and chase. At the same time, I pretty much respect but cannot stand Glock pistols. My G29 is the only Glock I own, and I've only owned three. I expect to wander through the next (hopefully!) 45 years of my life never buying or owning another Glock, but this G29 has been an absolute ROCK for me, and it is the pistol I want to shoot 10mm out of.

Have shot a few Glock 20's and like my 29 more. Would try a G41 but if someone gave me one, I'd sell it and buy groceries with the proceeds. I had a Colt Delta Elite and it wasn't worth the (decent!) price I spent on it, it was not fun to shoot and it used plastic in places even my Glock wasn't dumb enough to use plastic. (guide rod!) I was thrilled to sell the Delta Elite.

I don't even know the point of what I've said here. But it's how I feel about my 10mm pistols.
Old August 20, 2018, 12:57 PM   #10
Sevens

Quote:
After Vltor screwed-up their revival of the Bren Ten
Well I beg to differ, Sir. Vltor made pretty much a perfect follow-up to the entire laughable Bren Ten debacle. They managed to upset a slew of people and build a gun that was just as capable as the original.

As far as I am concerned, the Dornaus & Dixon effort and the Vltor effort are equals. Both of them smell like like a corn-filled log.
Old August 20, 2018, 06:07 PM   #11
grinner

Doesn’t SIG Sauer offer a 10 mm p220? I think it is one of the Legion series, so isn’t cheap. It also isn’t polymer or double stack.
Old August 20, 2018, 06:21 PM   #12
MarkCO

Have a 20SF that shares mags with an AR pattern 16" carbine, a Razorback and a S&W 610.
Old August 20, 2018, 06:21 PM   #13
Model12Win

Glock.
Old August 20, 2018, 06:31 PM   #14
BigJimP

I'm not a big 10mm fan....but if I were, it would be a full sized 5" barrel in a 1911 from Wilson Combat.

If I was on a budget...it would be the Springfield TRP.
Old August 20, 2018, 07:07 PM   #15
Rangerrich99

I was looking at 10mms awhile back, as both a woods gun and for handgun hunting. Since I was considering using it for deer, I decided that I wanted a really good trigger, which left the Glocks out. If I was still in the market for one, I'd probably get a 1911 version.

If I was only interested in SD/woods gun, I'd probably pick the Glock.
Old August 20, 2018, 07:14 PM   #16

Dan Wesson 10mm Match . Thinking about a new Glock to add the very small collection.
Old August 20, 2018, 07:19 PM   #17
DubC-Hicks

Glock 20 or 40 for me. Whichever barrel length you wish.

And since you mentioned a carbine with matching mags, the Vector in 10mm is a good platform.
Old August 20, 2018, 07:30 PM   #18
jmr40

Some day I'm going to run across a good deal on a Smith 1006 at the same time that I have money to spare to buy it. I've never had both of those match up at the same time.

Until then my G29 is ideal for my needs. I've had a G20 for years and like it, but after trying the smaller G29 the bigger gun just doesn't get used much. I shoot both of them equally well, the G29 carries a lot easier and I can use either 10 or 15 round mags in it.

Those are the only 2 platforms that have proven reliable with 10mm. The 1911's and others have had their issues, plus if I'm buying a 1911 I want 45.

The Sig 220 is an unknown at this time, but might be a possibility.

Quote:
If I was only interested in SD/woods gun, I'd probably pick the Glock.
Which is the only place I use a 10mm, and why my G29 is ideal for me. There isn't anything out there that combines 16 rounds of ammo that powerful in a package anywhere near that small and light.

Winston Churchill
Old August 20, 2018, 09:03 PM   #19
JDBerg

There are a lot of good ones, but my top pick would be a Dan Wesson 10mm Commander Classic Bobtail. DW currently offers this gun in .45ACP but they haven’t made the 10mm in several years.
Old August 20, 2018, 09:25 PM   #20
M4BGRINGO

Have a S&W610 I run lots of different loads through, from frog fart .40's that feel like a hot .22LR, to red-hot 10mm that let loose a NICE fireball! Also have a 1911 in 10mm. That being said, neither are polymer nor double stack. I have never bought a polymer gun, and honestly, never plan on. Have shot some, just don't do anything for me. I'm a stainless steel guy through and through..........
Old August 20, 2018, 09:54 PM   #21
Model12Win

Nowadays, 10mm is more a hunstman's cartridge or for bears.

It is no longer a fighting cartridge. It gives up too much in recoil recovery and all handguns have the same stopping power anyway so everyone carries a 9mm or .45 for defense.
Old August 21, 2018, 12:10 AM   #22
Northrider

I like my Delta Elite more than I liked my Glock in 10. It was partly me I am sure, but my Glock had several stove pipes, and had issues with my reloads. No issues so far with the Colt.
Old August 21, 2018, 08:03 AM   #23
agtman

Quote:
Doesn’t SIG Sauer offer a 10 mm p220? I think it is one of the Legion series, so isn’t cheap. It also isn’t polymer or double stack.
I own the Elite Match DA/SA 10mm P220 that comes with the fixed SigLite night sights. It's very accurate, has a decent trigger pull in either mode, and the 5" tube, like the Bren Ten had, offers the maximum practical length for keeping velocity up without becoming unwieldy. It's also been totally reliable through some 400+ rds now, factory and handloads.

Still, it's a large, heavy, stainless steel pistol - and it ain't cheap.

The real downside is the overly stingy 8-rd single-stack 10mm mag. Smith's old 10XX-series guns held 9-rds, and with a differently designed follower or a slightly extended floor plate they could've held 10- or 11-rds.

Why Sig chose to engineer an 8-rd-only magazine, I have no idea. Cooper often cited the 10mm's thinner cartridge diameter as one of the benefits over the 'fat' stubby .45acp cartridge because it automatically enhanced capacity by allowing you to stuff 2 or maybe 3 even more cartridges in the magazine, depending on design (single-stack v. double-stack) as well as grip circumference.

That said, Sig's Elite 10mm is a really nice pistol, and it's definitely state-of-the-art if you're looking for an all-steel 10mm.
Old August 22, 2018, 10:41 AM   #24
the possum

My brother has a Tanfoglio 6" hunter model in 10mm. I used to own a regular sized Witness in .45 ACP, and really liked that gun. (had to sell it for fast cash years ago)

I note that right now you can buy a Rock Island 1911 in 10mm for only $430.
https://www.rkguns.com/rock-island-m...tol-51508.html
Old August 22, 2018, 10:49 AM   #25
COSteve

I modified my Glock G21 into a longslide 45acp back in early 2004 with a German steel slide and Jarvis 6" 45acp barrel. It's a great shooter and the longer sight radius and extra 4.75 oz at the muzzle really make it a great target gun. Here's a picture of it with my G22.

Later that year I got a wild hair and after some evaluation and mocking up with my G22 Barrel, I asked Kevin at KKM Precision to make me the world's first 45-10MM conversion barrel for it as I was intrigued by the 10mm's performance. I wanted to make the first ever G20/21L. Here it is a couple minutes after I first put the pieces together staged with the Jarvis 45 barrel in it.

Here it is with the 45-10MM conversion barrel installed; the world's first 6" Glock G20 longslide. Performance with my 165grn handloads in it are very impressive with velocities over 1,500fps. I can get over 1,400fps with my 180grn loads so it's a great woods gun.

After a few years, I decided to run it in USPSA limited just for the heck of it so I got a magwell and did some trigger work. When I considered a FO front sight and also decided to pretty it up a bit by hardchroming the slide. So, now it looks like this.

With more than 9K hot 10mm rds through it, I absolutely love it. It's a great shooter and going at steel plates at 200yds is a joy with it. For out in the woods, I remove the magwell and I've got 17+1 rds of firebreathing 10mm performance. Even better than the 45 Super loads I also shoot out of it.